forum

[Proposal] "Anime/Video Game" Genres reordering

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LeomineXD
This is a my opinion and proposal about these genres

The genres "anime" and "video game" (especially "video game") aren't real music genres, so here we can agree or disagree with this point. The thing that annoys me is that the genres "anime" or "video game" are specific genres and they cannot be used to search for a beatmap.

My suggestion...

Since removing both "anime" and "video game" isn't the best thing to do (since it would take too much time to update every map in the game), I suggest using them as tags to search the map. Is it wrong and awkward? Yes, it could be, but now most mappers who map "TV size" / "Game ver." have already wondered at least once "What genre should I put on the website?" or "Should I put anime or pop as genre?" (I also asked myself that too). So it would be better for new mappers to let them know what is the correct genre to put.

Pros and Cons

Since everyone has a different opinion, there is going to be who agrees with me and asked the same question and who disagrees about it. [b]I'm glad we are discussing about it[/b] (I wouldn't have created the discussion if so). Surely you have your opinion to put "anime" as genre on the website but I want you to know that:

~ Players often follow those who are more experienced (for example people with a badge such as ALM/GMT/BN/NAT/SPT/DEV) but even among them there are mixed opinions even if it's useless to discuss about it. Even BNs often don't have a definitive answer for this issue, so the discussion is still open.

~ Since clicking on the genre / language of a map brings you to the list of maps with the respective genre or language clicked, there are going to be some maps that will be hidden since the genre "Anime" or "Video Game" doesn't represent the actual genre of the song which can be misleading. That's why anime or video game should be used as a tag so that the real genre of the song (electronic, jazz, folk, metal etc.) can be searched to have a more accurate list of the songs.

What would change?

~ If you search "Anime" / "Video Game" in the search bar nothing would change since the same songs would be in the list without any changes since "anime" is in the beatmap tags.

~ It would make the song list more accurate since the actual genre of the song is being priorized over a generic "anime".

~ Maps can be found in both ways: by searching "anime" and by searching the actual genre (electronic, metal, rock etc.).

PS: This proposal doesn't mean to "Remove" the genres, but to clear up this doubt that is since I joined osu! that I hear about it, i've only gave a proposal to remove this fact of similarity for satisfy both the requirements of the RC and I think it can calm the doubt always posed also starting from this discussion

I will wait a your opinion : )))
Eni
I feel like this has been discussed before. It should be in the Ranking Criteria subforum.

Anime is a real music genre by the way. Music that feels like it'd be in a video game gets the video game genre as well.
Topic Starter
LeomineXD
ok but the my question is "Why do all these laps if we can make it easy for both of us?"

about the "anime" genre i'm very disagree (even if I'm wrong), but here I speak of the undecided order from the community
SaltyLucario
as far as im aware its already planned to delete these and instead move them to a new category called "source"
no i idea when that was posted or whats the status on it tho, but people are definitely aware of the fact its an issue