forum

[added] [Proposal] Allow difficulty names in tags if they are spelt differently

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
stz
The points of tags is to search something on the website and occassionally in the client, whether it is a song acronym (eg. CBCC) or a song genre (eg. Rock).

And as the title says, I want different difficulties with typing quirks [or shortened names] to have their corresponding difficulty tagged.

For example, let's say there's a mapset with the following difficulty names:

N0RM41
N0PP'S H4RD
ZETERA'S IN54N3
Q5U4EX7YY2E9N

The "N0RM41" difficulty would have Normal in tags, so it woupd be easier to find Normal difficulties in the client, but only THIS difficulty would have that tag, as with the following difficulties.

The "N0PP'S H4RD" difficulty would have NoPP's Hard in tags, since the difficulty creator has a letter in his name, not a number that's used in the difficulty name for the quirk.

The "ZETERA'S IN54N3" difficulty would only have Insane in tags, since the difficulty creator's name stays the same with the typing quirk, but it still would be viable to add Zetera's Insane to tags.

The "Q5U4EX7YY2E9N" difficulty wouldn't have any tags, since it's a top diff. Extra would be optional.
lewski
sounds kinda cool, albeit super niche

I do want to note that you'd never actually need to do this for funny spellings of gd mapper names in diffnames since you already need to have their name in the tags regardless

how does the website react to stuff like this though? (in other words how badly does it break lol)
Topic Starter
stz
it appears the website only shows tags that are in all diffs, doesn't break at all
kadoen
Actually, the website only shows/searches by the tags of 1 difficulty. This is why even in song packs all of the difficulties need to have the same tags. For example if you look at this set https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/895138#mania/1870418, the website only shows and searches tags on the "7th Dan" difficulty.
honne

lewski wrote:

sounds kinda cool, albeit super niche

I do want to note that you'd never actually need to do this for funny spellings of gd mapper names in diffnames since you already need to have their name in the tags regardless

how does the website react to stuff like this though? (in other words how badly does it break lol)

What lewski said was correct, this kind of thing would only be acceptable in the specific case where an "Easy" is named "E4ZY" or something but that's it. It doesn't exactly call for what the thread title states so I assume you would mean to say something along the lines of..

Allow difficulty names in tags if they are spelt differently

It is still super specific though and probably has low use cases. The issue lies within the website since osu! is able to handle it properly.
Ryu Sei
I'm agree with this, despite being super niche. Also, this may also happen for maps with shortened difficulty names, such as EZ (Easy), NM (Normal), HD (Hard), MX (Maximum), SHD (Super Hard), etc.

Edit: See this beatmap for more context: beatmapsets/1253992
It is indeed ranked, but has a terribly difficult spelling on difficulty name. Having this proposal to be applied allows both creativity and discoverability for people who only search for the difficulty name, regardless star rating. If anything, the current RC should be rewritten to...

1. Metadata must be consistent across all difficulties of a beatmap. The only exception to this rule is when the beatmap's difficulty name has alternate spelling, such as adding tag Easy to beatmaps with EZ difficulty name.
SilentWuffer
Hard agree.

For example Raytoly's 1f1e33 set has stylized difficulty names for all diffs. However, these become unsearchable by normal means simply due to that.
Noffy
Uh, rather than allowing it, this is already a thing for metadata when it comes to the song metadata

"Songs with metadata that contains ambiguous or hard to write unicode characters should add easily searchable variations or romanisations of these words to the beatmap's tags."

so that should just be expanded to include difficulty names from what I'm understanding here?

Any metadata that contains ambiguous or hard to write words should add easily searchable variations or romanisations of these words to the beatmap's tags. Examples would include using visually similar characters from different languages, leetspeak, or obscure unicode characters.

Edit: as for the per difficulty tags stuff, don't think so. Tags are for a set and only one difficulty's tags are represented on the website. People can search using star rating to find difficulties both in game and on the website already, so allowing a not really supported feature to RC doesn't seem like a good idea
SilentWuffer
the thing is, star rating isn't an accurate gauge of difficulty. it's been proven time and time again that it's not a perfect system. I'm sure there are good reasons for being against this change but the ability to search by sr doesn't feel like one of them.
i am very gay
Sr works well enough for the vast majority of maps and once you get to harder stuff everything has custom difficulty names anyway.
pishifat
pishifat
merged