forum

Why are brown cherry mx switches frowned upon on?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Loves
They are as light as reds but the only difference is that they are tactile like blues, yet many pros go against getting brown switches.

Why?
TakuMii
I want to know this too. There are a few pros in other rhythm games that actually recommend Brown switches, so I don't see why a lot of people seem to think that they're bad for osu!.
Kanye West
It's all a matter of preference

When I tried them, they felt like heavy rubberdomes
Mathsma
Do people really frown upon brown switches? I haven't really seen anything like that. I have seen people saying if you like tactile feedback to go with browns, but if you don't like it go with reds. I usually see blacks being frowned upon.
boat
I recently switched back to browns from reds and I can certainly say that although they do require the same force to actuate, browns do feel a good bit heavier. This is not necessarily a bad thing, and that they are frowned upon is a common misconception, people just go with linear switches because they are in theory better for tapping fast. I prefer browns over both reds and blacks myself because they are a million times more comfortable to type on. Each to their own, though.
Koko Ban
when i asked suggestions for a good mech KB, people mostly recommended me the browns because they said "of all the switches, browns feel just right" and they frowned upon reds being too much sensitive.

i ended up with blues anyway :p
RaneFire
I think the reason reds are preferred over browns is because of the inconsistent actuation forces in browns as they pass their tactile bumps. For speed, you don't really want that "surprise, I just downed faster because I'm past the bump" feeling, especially when streaming at very high speeds.
Luna

RaneFire wrote:

I think the reason reds are preferred over browns is because of the inconsistent actuation forces in browns as they pass their tactile bumps. For speed, you don't really want that "surprise, I just downed faster because I'm past the bump" feeling, especially when streaming at very high speeds.
This is not true. While the required activation force is not constant, it IS consistent. Absolutely no surprises after the very first press. I don't know why, but this seems to be a common misconception regarding MX Browns.
Oinari-sama
Browns are super sexy once you learn touch typing...
RaneFire

Luna wrote:

RaneFire wrote:

This is not true. While the required activation force is not constant, it IS consistent. Absolutely no surprises after the very first press. I don't know why, but this seems to be a common misconception regarding MX Browns.
Maybe that's why. A misconception from the change from blues to the next switch, since blues are really common, people like me might think they're similar and go for reds.
Luna
It's the same for Blues; they are not constant, but consistent.
It's just that people can't seem to understand the difference and automatically assume that non-linear actuation force means inconsistent activation force.

By the way, Browns are amazing for accuracy since you can feel the activation point clearly, and they also feel way better for general use (typing).
RaneFire

Luna wrote:

It's the same for Blues; they are not constant, but consistent.
Well then if you say it like that, then I'm afraid I have to disagree. It seems you are disguising it with colourful words. The key lets loose slightly after passing the tactile bump. This actually throws me off a bit. While the force required to pass the bump is the same every time, what I really want is to avoid that drop in force for that short moment after passing it. A linear switch would make that more tolerable since the force is linear.

Don't get what I'm not saying though. A tactile bump is quite lovely, but when tapping lightly while streaming to save stamina instead of mashing keys, I feel like blues confuse my fingers a bit. I'm quite familiar with the actuation force graphs, thanks.
Luna
It's a fact though, Blues/Browns are consistent.
It is completely normal that they loosen up after the activation point (it is in fact the whole point of using them, so you can feel where the activation point actually is. You don't know that with linear switches), but that does not mean they are inconsistent. Consistency means that they react 100% the same way for every key, every time they are pressed. If you've used those switches for even just a short period of time, you know exactly how they feel and the variations in force requirement will never surprise you since they are always the exact same, no matter what.
If you like that feel or not is a different issue, but they are definitely completely consistent.
RaneFire
Point taken. It's the purpose of the bump, but it seems I don't like it. Preference is probably just as simple as that.
TakuMii

Luna wrote:

It's a fact though, Blues/Browns are consistent.
It is completely normal that they loosen up after the activation point (it is in fact the whole point of using them, so you can feel where the activation point actually is. You don't know that with linear switches), but that does not mean they are inconsistent. Consistency means that they react 100% the same way for every key, every time they are pressed. If you've used those switches for even just a short period of time, you know exactly how they feel and the variations in force requirement will never surprise you since they are always the exact same, no matter what.
If you like that feel or not is a different issue, but they are definitely completely consistent.
It should be noted that Blues are slightly less consistent than Browns: They're the only switch type (aside from maybe Greens) that have 2 moving plastic parts instead of 1. While this design increases the force to push through the tactile bump (and also produces that clicky sound that keyboard enthusiasts seem to love), it means that the tactile bump when pressing down the key is somewhat lower than the tactile bump when releasing the key, unlike Browns, which doesn't have the tactile bump moving around.
D33d
What you need to consider is that browns and blues aren't designed to bottom out. Obviously, one can bottom out just fine, but their design is so that they can be pressed more lightly. From what I know, linear switches are harder to use without bottoming out and, since players would be smashing their keys anyway, there'd be no bump to slow them down.

If you want that tactility, then go for browns. However, if you want less resistance, then get blacks or reds.
evanma
shit son, I'm using brown's right now.

And they feel fine btw.
Purple
I don't use them because the tactile bump is too small. I guess they work fine for people who don't smash their keyboards while playing osu!
evanma
lol, I always bottom out unless streaming (like on jumps and shit). is this correct? XD
Oinari-sama

evanma wrote:

lol, I always bottom out unless streaming (like on jumps and shit). is this correct? XD
I don't know what's "correct," but I can single tap a lot faster if I don't bottom out with browns. It feels like that my finger only moves about 1-2mm when I need to single tap fast.
Topic Starter
Loves
Let's not forget Niko and rrtyui and many many other top 50's use blues.

My frustration lies in, why does no pro use browns?
boat

Lily-Kun wrote:

Because everyone here are illiterate.
Antero
thelewa hates browns and humans do a great job at being sheep and that results in everyone hating browns.

Lily-Kun wrote:

Because most top players are new to mechanical keyboards and they buy entry level keyboards like blackwidow
Rubber Ducc

Mathsma wrote:

Do people really frown upon brown switches? I haven't really seen anything like that. I have seen people saying if you like tactile feedback to go with browns, but if you don't like it go with reds. I usually see blacks being frowned upon.
i usually see blacks frowned upon ._.
PalPal
Bruh Epic Bump
Zelzatter Zero

Rubber Ducc wrote:

Mathsma wrote:

i usually see blacks frowned upon ._.
I love how you bump this whole thread just to quote the last sentence. Is that even useful?