forum

Options: (Skinning) New Star Difficulty Design In Song Select

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
ignFeb
"Just change the skin.ini version to v2.1-"
- maybe random guy

"Stupid, just change the skin version, silly."
- also random guy
Here, let me explain.
After skin version v2.2+

* Changes star rating display to scaling star.png instead of partially widthed star.png.

And most importantly,

* Thumbnail support.
  * Must be enabled by the user in the Options and be supported by the skin in the skin.ini file.

These update are useful and aesthetics

BUT

If you wish to revert the star.png scaling without touching thumbnail support. Sadly, you can't!

Concept Preview
What v2.1- looks like.

What v2.2+ looks like.

v2.2+ with thumbnail off.

How this suggestion can change!

Not a big change but looks clean, right? I hope, so...

Note: If you guys think it is not necessary to include this in new skin update. My apologies with my bad english included. But I would really like this feature to be added!
abraker
I am not sure what this is asking
RockRoller

abraker wrote:

I am not sure what this is asking
The issue is that star scaling before 2.2 was linear filling from left to right, but there are no thumbnails. 2.2 changed this to the star scaling we know today and added thumbnail support, where the stars are seperated and the after comma digits scale the last star (like 6.5 stars will be 6 full stars and a half scaled one).

tldr; thumbnails and old star scaling style are mutually exclusive and that sucks. Also pretty sure I have seen this before, just not sure if it was a seperate request or part of a bigger "skinning changes pls" request
abraker
Ohhhh I think I get it now. Let me paraphrase in a better way

Old star sprite images did not scale, they were all same size.

In new design the last filled star sprite image is scaled proportionally to the fractional amount of star rating (ex .4 part in 6.4).

The issue is that the new skin version only allows old behavior without thumbnails.

Did I get that right?
McEndu
So proposed skin.ini revision:
[General]
OldStarDisplay: 1
JustABeginner

abraker wrote:

Ohhhh I think I get it now. Let me paraphrase in a better way

Old star sprite images did not scale, they were all same size.

In new design the last filled star sprite image is scaled proportionally to the fractional amount of star rating (ex .4 part in 6.4).

The issue is that the new skin version only allows old behavior without thumbnails.

Did I get that right?
Mostly. The issue is that you can't merge "the partial-filled star ratings" with support thumbnails.

Before version 2.2, there is absolutely no options when players can enable thumbnail support to show the thumbnail background beside the song selection. So the song selection is just blank - no pictures or anything other than the star rating. But they wanted to have thumbnail along with the "partial-filled" star ratings.

And when it is switched to version 2.2, the "partial-filled" star ratings is changed to "scaled" that we currently use today.

Just what RockRoller said, I heard about this before somewhere in the skinning subforum.