I hear it looks better.
electrolytes wrote:Once beatmap pack #370 comes out could you make a new torrent for 1-370, containing the original beatmap packs, and not a repackage into one file?I am actually preparing to do this which i plan for this style because i only get big beatmap packs first then smal packs thereafter:
I know there's good intentions behind the 1-330, but packaging into one file is just a really awful idea for many reasons:
- It cuts your seeding pool in two. People using the old torrents can't seed from their files: they have to redownload everything again.
- People that downloaded from the site can't seed from those either.
- It wastes space when extracting, especially if it's a .rar just containing more .rar files.
- Users can't do anything until they have the whole huge file.
- Users can't set priority on packs they want sooner than others.
- Users can't select individual packs to download and seed, if they just want a few of them. This is especially important for people with bandwidth caps.
- Really, torrents are made to support multiple files, letting users select which they want to download and seed. This single file torrent is a huge step backwards and hurts both seeders and leechers in terms of availability, bandwidth, disk space, and downloading options.
If you switch to a single unified torrent, it'll eliminate the need for both the single file 1-330, and all the individual torrents for 1-100, 101-200, etc. You'll have all your seeders in one place, and users will be able to choose which packs they want to download and seed from in their own client.
(This will change when the 301-400 packs are available when all small beatmap packs will be consolidated into one big pack to make file management easier)
The reason I did not download small beatmap packs from 1-300 is because if i chose small packs, I can't seed big beatmap packs as big beatmap packs only have one folder and all 100 packs are in it. If i pack the torrent with big beatmap packs, others can point the small beatmap packs to the big packs in which when they do torrent recheck, i will check those files that are in it and ignores other files unrelated to the torrent.
Yeah the one big chunk of .rar files messed up my hard disk fragmentation due to the way I set my utorrent to use sparse files which makes a high fragmentation issue every time i downloaded the torrent (in which some seeders might experience a few upload influx due to me attempting to make defragmentation easier) and most of those seedbox and VDS/VPS user which i use have size limitations on their hard disk in which if we use these beatmap packs, it will be easier on our side too