forum

Some simple useability requests [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Th3w-san
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
rust45

Th3w-san wrote:

Okay, these are basically a bunch of suggestions that I've come up with to fix several very minor annoyances. Nothing related to ranking/scoring, just simple useability improvements that would probably be quite easy to implement:

-Allow mousewheel to change volume on the song-select screen. It works on the main menu and during gameplay; I've never understood why it doesn't on the song-select screen. Particularly when using headphones, backing up a screen to change the volume can be really bothersome.
The mousewheel is used for scrolling through the song list. And if you use headphones plugged into speakers plugged into your computer, then you can adjust their volume, if it's laptop you have them plugged into, most laptops(from what I've seen) have a quick way to change the computer volume. If you have headphones plugged into a desktop, deal with it or keep the sound panel open.

-Add support for keyboard media buttons. Occasionally I'll have osu! running minimized just to play music while I'm doing something else, and it'd be much nicer if I could just mash the Pause or Skip key on my keyboard instead of getting my ears raped by several seconds of U.N Owen while I wait for osu! to maximize and let me click the little Stop button. :P
This is probably less of a problem for people who play windowed...
Wait, are you saying when you use it for music, you keep it in fullscreen? And that makes you have to wait for it to maximize for you to change the song. Change it to windowed during that time, oh and U.N. Owen is awesome, how dare you stop it.

-Make "Random Beatmap" actually random (this might have gotten fixed already, but I don't recall ever seeing it in the changelog).
Agreed

-Make the "This beatmap is in Approved status" warning wait for a break to pop up. I'm trapped on dialup, so occasionally the scoreboard takes a while to load. Since the Approved warning only pops up once the scoreboard's loaded, in my case it will often pop up right in the middle of the song, obscuring the center of the screen.
What? Don't understand.

-Display the max combo and max score on the song-select screen. Often when there are multiple Insane difficulties for a song I want to know which has the higher possible score. Also, unless several people have already S'd a map it can be difficult to tell whether I've actually gotten a full combo or if I got a 100 on a slider somewhere (short of going into the editor and testing the song).
Don't see a need at all.

...So yeah, I don't think any of these would be a huge inconvenience to implement, and having them would really come in handy. Osu!'s awesome regardless. :)
I don't really think any of these are needed, except the random beatmap setting.
Echo
Random beatmap is random o.O
rust45
Well I'm taking about(and I'm sure he was too) how it picks a random map, but it really should be song then diff in the song.
anonymous_old
Sorry, but I disagree with all your suggestions, but one.

One, scroll wheel scrolls. Where it cannot, it changes the volume. Yes, it's inconsistent, but if all you know is that one screen, you'll think scrolling scrolls the song list.

Two, osu! is not your media player.

Three, if you don't like Random then just right-click anywhere then click any song. I'd report a bug if it really isn't random.

Four, yes, I would like notifications like "this is approved" or "song detected" to show only during breaks when playing a map.

Five, no. osu!'s about fun, not score farming, IMO. If you really care, fire up the editor or watch Auto do it.
Echo
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Kitsunemimi

Th3w-san wrote:

-Allow mousewheel to change volume on the song-select screen. It works on the main menu and during gameplay; I've never understood why it doesn't on the song-select screen. Particularly when using headphones, backing up a screen to change the volume can be really bothersome.
Maybe you should have thought before writing this one...

Th3w-san wrote:

-Add support for keyboard media buttons. Occasionally I'll have osu! running minimized just to play music while I'm doing something else, and it'd be much nicer if I could just mash the Pause or Skip key on my keyboard instead of getting my ears raped by several seconds of U.N Owen while I wait for osu! to maximize and let me click the little Stop button. :P
This is probably less of a problem for people who play windowed...
It's a minor thing, but I kinda want this as well. It's second nature to me to hit Fn + Right arrow whenever I come across a stupid song. We can definitely have this, but it'd only be for convenience, most likely, low priority.

Th3w-san wrote:

-Make "Random Beatmap" actually random (this might have gotten fixed already, but I don't recall ever seeing it in the changelog).
This is almost weird... The reason why it just randomly keeps going until it feels like stopping might be because if it were to randomly select any song, then the camera/song list will be jumping everywhere, and this "auto-scrolling" might be something to cover it up? Anyways, this would be a good idea if that's not the case.

Th3w-san wrote:

-Make the "This beatmap is in Approved status" warning wait for a break to pop up. I'm trapped on dialup, so occasionally the scoreboard takes a while to load. Since the Approved warning only pops up once the scoreboard's loaded, in my case it will often pop up right in the middle of the song, obscuring the center of the screen.
Make it become a message in the bottom of the screen. That way it won't be blocking anything, plus, it also has an option to stay away until the break.

Th3w-san wrote:

-Display the max combo and max score on the song-select screen. Often when there are multiple Insane difficulties for a song I want to know which has the higher possible score. Also, unless several people have already SS'd a map it can be difficult to tell whether I've actually gotten a full combo or if I got a 100 on a slider somewhere (short of going into the editor and testing the song).
Again, it's a matter of convenience. This would be pretty nice, and it'd just be a small thing to include these two numbers in the song info at the top left.

So, well, yea.
rust45

Echo wrote:

strager wrote:

Yes it is >:|
^
LuigiHann
It'd be nice if you could use the scroll wheel to adjust volume on the song select screen by scrolling while hovering away from the song list.
Topic Starter
Th3w-san
The mousewheel is used for scrolling through the song list. And if you use headphones plugged into speakers plugged into your computer, then you can adjust their volume, if it's laptop you have them plugged into, most laptops(from what I've seen) have a quick way to change the computer volume. If you have headphones plugged into a desktop, deal with it or keep the sound panel open.
Maybe you should have thought before writing this one...
Ohhhhh, I get it. See, I use a tablet and I have absolute scrolling enabled, so the mousewheel does nothing. Didn't realize it actually scrolled the songs if you don't use absolute...

Random beatmap is random o.O
Well I'm taking about(and I'm sure he was too) how it picks a random map, but it really should be song then diff in the song.
Actually, what I meant was that random beatmap isn't actually random. It picks some songs way more often than others, particularly if your song library is relatively small. Peppy actually confirmed it over IRC once. Since he's aware of it he might have fixed it, but like I said I don't recall ever seeing it in the changelogs.

What? Don't understand.
You know how when you play an Approved map, during the lead-in time there's that big warning that pops up saying that the song is Approved and won't contribute to your score?
Sometimes if you're on a horribly slow connection that warning will pop up smack in the middle of the song, during gameplay.

Five, no. osu!'s about fun, not score farming, IMO. If you really care, fire up the editor or watch Auto do it.
Aw c'mon, I can still be a perfectionist without being a soulless score farmer. :P
peppy

Th3w-san wrote:

Actually, what I meant was that random beatmap isn't actually random. It picks some songs way more often than others, particularly if your song library is relatively small. Peppy actually confirmed it over IRC once. Since he's aware of it he might have fixed it, but like I said I don't recall ever seeing it in the changelogs.
The only thing I would have confirmed is that it is in fact random. Don't make me provide the code...
Topic Starter
Th3w-san

peppy wrote:

Th3w-san wrote:

The only thing I would have confirmed is that it is in fact random. Don't make me provide the code...
Hm, okay. I brought it up on IRC after the last community meeting. I could've sworn you confirmed it but maybe someone else was agreeing with me and I'm just remembering wrong...
anonymous_old
Kitsunemimi

strager wrote:

If you have the DDR set and the tutorial map only, won't it pick the DDR song much more often? Isn't that what you're referring to?

Or does it randomize by set, then by difficulty?
It actually does pick it more. Once I got it, it started picking it a lot more, much more than any other single map. It started getting a little annoying, and it was taking up space to, so I got rid of it. :|
Skya

strager wrote:

Sorry, but I disagree with all your suggestions, but one.

One, scroll wheel scrolls. Where it cannot, it changes the volume. Yes, it's inconsistent, but if all you know is that one screen, you'll think scrolling scrolls the song list.

Three, if you don't like Random then just right-click anywhere then click any song. I'd report a bug if it really isn't random.

Four, yes, I would like notifications like "this is approved" or "song detected" to show only during breaks when playing a map.

Is it me or are you naturally indisposed towards any and all suggestions? I've seen you reply like that to a few requests and I think you're a bit quick to say they suck.

One, LuigiHann found a good solution to the volume problem,

Two, I don't see anything wrong with using osu! as a media player,

Three, I believe Th3w was reporting a bug,

Four, agreed,

Five, if osu! is about fun, why are there ranks, levels, scores, accuracy and grades? I'd say osu! is quite competitive, even though you can play just for fun if it's what you like. I think his suggestion is very good. You don't have to be a score farmer to wonder about those anyway...
Atmey
How about instant random button, rather than few seconds wait for the cursor to slow down.