forum

High SR ranked maps are very uncommon in osu!mania.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hoshimegu Mio
Disclaimer: I am new to the forums so I don't know if this should go to MD or G&R.

The following data is the count of the number of expert (5.3* - 6.5*) and expert+ (6.5*+) difficulties in the most recent 50 ranked maps for each gamemode:

STD:

Expert: 43
Expert+: 8

Taiko:

Inner Oni: 20
Hell Oni: 15

Catch:

Overdose: 23
Deluge: 14

Mania:

Expert: 7
Expert+: 2

---

I don't know about others but I think this is probably not that good. There may be two causes of this: One is that BNs don't want to look at high SR maps because they're mostly "garbage". The other is that nobody wants to make rankable hard maps.

My theory is that most BNs only recognize hard maps made by famous mappers like Kawawa, _Kobii, Jinjin, Blocko, etc. The mania mapping community is also very repellent (shown by bad tempers of -mint- and such).

One hypothetical explanation would be that mania maps that are both good and hard are very hard to make. A lot of new mappers (like me) have done so and created very horrible maps that they thought is good (also like me). After some time, the traditional mapping community gradually becomes more offensive towards new mappers because they have the mindset of "hard = good". Then, it may have turned into a common mindset in traditional mappers: Hard maps that aren't made by us is bad. New mappers should and should only make easier maps. Harder maps goes in loved or graveyard. But, that isn't the case. This has been happening for years. It is not just in osu!mania, but probably in the entire VSRG community. Osu!mania is just a very small part of it, but it surely can resemble the rest.

There is only a total of 49 ranked mapsets with one or more expert+ difficulty in osu!mania. If we start counting from the day the first osu!mania map was ranked (2013.02.14) and stop counting from now, we can find out that in the 3208-day history of osu!mania, one expert+ mapset is ranked every 65.47 days on average.
abraker
Nah, the issue is the amount of effort needed to rank high SR maps. In addition to the effort of mapping the high SR map, you are also required to map an insane diff and even hard depending on drain time. Then when you do map it, you have to spend time getting mods or BN approval for it, who more than likely are going to request changes you might not agree with. The ranking process is really hostile to high SR maps.

Mappers who make high SR maps tend to be unranked mappers who want nothing to do with the ranking criteria. This way they get to map what they want, only what they care to map, and not care about what other people think.
Rikuka
they need to recalc star rating mania for sure tho :')
also how you can make rankable 6* , especially on 4 keymodes? except ln spamming

kinda impossible unless the songs have high bpm brrrrrrrrrrrrrt brrrrrrrrrrrt brrrrrrrrrrrrrt brrrrrrrrrrrt wooooooooooosh woooooooosh
yes you can hear the pattern

and mapping mania was boring , sometimes lack of creativity , especially who need some creativity if you can manip that otherwise , and mapping taiko too

compare mapping std/ctb , atleast you can draw dick sliders (just kidding)

some good map sometimes have unusual hard pattern , but yea it just lack of skill if ppl complain/can't pass it

so yea back to square one , they need to recalc mania sr T.T
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  1. There r barely any good high SR maps. If I take a couple random high SR maps from the pending list atm, most of them will share the same generic high SR mapping style or just really lack in quality. This is 70-80% of the reason.
  2. Mania SR is bad. You cannot get to 8+ territory without some intentional SR inflation for lower keymodes, and higher keymodes do not have a lot of mappers/BNs that can map/take them.
  3. Lack of BNs in general. Sometimes, there r hard maps that r going for ranked and got accepted, but most of the BNs have a pretty big backlog already, hence further lower the frequency of hard maps for ranked (they will be checked eventually, just at a slow pace).
What is partially true: The RC is preventing mappers from ranking high SR maps. While it was true in the past, the RC has improved tremendously to a point where a lot of hard maps r getting ranked lately. Still, some mappers might be uninformed of these changes and continue keeping a bad image towards the RC, while some map for themselves and do not bother further polishing their maps or abide the RC (which is a completely fine reason to map btw).

What is not true: Certain communities are constantly gatekeeping hard maps from being ranked. While the latest mania mapping dramas were on 2 really hard maps, none of them were show a disapproving sentiment towards ranking hard maps, but rather seek for justifications for certain patterns. It’s in common interest for most active mappers/modders that mania needs way more hard maps.

I’d suggest you or anyone reading this to drop the mindset of blaming certain communities or individuals, whether or not it is true, especially when you are not involved in the mapping scene. The problem never only come from one side, and further believing in that will just make the community a more hostile place to be a part of.