forum

Rhythm simplification problem

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ccori
I'm mapping Wisp X - Alone at Midnight (Click to download FA template).
At 00:11:574 - here is a vocal sound, and vocals around here are all on 1/1.
Is it ok to simplify it to 00:11:691 - , the nearest 1/1 tick?

First time posting here so sorry if I messed something up
i am very gay
if the song does stupid rhythm you should also do stupid rhythm instead of mapping something ddifferent

i havent listened to the song but if its a calm part its perfectly ok to map the vocals with slider heads so you could have a 3/4 slider to map the blue tick if you dont want the rhythm to be more difficult to play
Zelzatter Zero
if you're mapping Easy/Normal, unless the song is really slow to being with (120-140BPM or lower), 1/4 is NOT recommended. The difficulty is aimed for beginners and any rhythm denser than 1/2 can throw them off.
Topic Starter
Ccori

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

if you're mapping Easy/Normal, unless the song is really slow to being with (120-140BPM or lower), 1/4 is NOT recommended. The difficulty is aimed for beginners and any rhythm denser than 1/2 can throw them off.
It is 128bpm, so I think 1/4 in Normal is acceptable.
However, this is a slow part, and I'm doing this pattern in all diffs (from Easy to Expert), so does it mean I should simplify it to 1/1 on low diffs and map it accurately on high diffs?
Zelzatter Zero
it... depends. Just because it's Experts doesn't mean you should not simplify rhythms, and just because it's Normal doesn't mean rhythm should all be simplified either.

In this case if you want you can put it in 1/4. If it were me I'd just put 1/1 reverse slider right off the bat.
i am very gay
RHYTHM SIMPLIFICATION FOR ANYTHING BUT INTENSITY IS STUPID DO NOT DO IT UNLESS ITS LIKE 1/6 AT 200BPM ON A DIFF WHERE IT ISNT APPROPIATE TO HAVE SUCH A FAST BURST

also can you show any instruments other then vocals? having a 3/4 repeat slider could work on the 2 if it matches with a drum, or even just having it not repeat since the section is calm anyway
DeletedUser_13957006

i am very gay wrote:

RHYTHM SIMPLIFICATION FOR ANYTHING BUT INTENSITY IS STUPID
not every sound has to be mapped
WitherMite

i am very gay wrote:

RHYTHM SIMPLIFICATION FOR ANYTHING BUT INTENSITY IS STUPID DO NOT DO IT UNLESS ITS LIKE 1/6 AT 200BPM ON A DIFF WHERE IT ISNT APPROPIATE TO HAVE SUCH A FAST BURST
? its a RC guideline to simplify to 1/2 or slower (at ~180bpm) for easy/normal. simplifying for difficulty is completely valid, and required for alot of mapsets. after playing for a while its easy to forget how difficult it is to learn how to read and tap 1/4 rhythm.

anyway to op after listening to the music at that part, I think this could work there if you need to simplify:

since the main voice there is vocals with a very soft constant 1/4 background noise, I dont think you can simplify to 1/1; there isn't a strong enough sound there, and it would feel off to play, just put a sliderend there and wait for the vocals to come back. the vocal at 00:11:223 is held anyway. a 3/4 repeat slider could be ok, but imo there isn't much at the red tick to justify that if you're purely mapping vocals for this section.

for higher diffs, just map it completely accurately and make the 1/4 vocal clickable, compared to the high intensity part of the song, that rhythm wont be too intense. theres a vocal lead in sound at 00:12:394 you should probably map, and the downbeat (00:13:098) is strong enough that it should be clicked.

this is what I would probably do, since its 128bpm, could honestly work for a normal too (maybe without the downbeat?), depending on how intense you map the rest of the song.
i am very gay

Aiq wrote:

i am very gay wrote:

RHYTHM SIMPLIFICATION FOR ANYTHING BUT INTENSITY IS STUPID
not every sound has to be mapped
Thats filtering rhythm choices which isnt the point of the post

and i was literally suggesting mapping things with slider heads???

WitherMite wrote:

i am very gay wrote:

? its a RC guideline to simplify to 1/2 or slower (at ~180bpm) for easy/normal. simplifying for difficulty is completely valid, and required for alot of mapsets. after playing for a while its easy to forget how difficult it is to learn how to read and tap 1/4 rhythm.

anyway to op after listening to the music at that part, I think this could work there if you need to simplify:

since the main voice there is vocals with a very soft constant 1/4 background noise, I dont think you can simplify to 1/1; there isn't a strong enough sound there, and it would feel off to play, just put a sliderend there and wait for the vocals to come back. the vocal at 00:11:223 is held anyway. a 3/4 repeat slider could be ok, but imo there isn't much at the red tick to justify that if you're purely mapping vocals for this section.

for higher diffs, just map it completely accurately and make the 1/4 vocal clickable, compared to the high intensity part of the song, that rhythm wont be too intense. theres a vocal lead in sound at 00:12:394 you should probably map, and the downbeat (00:13:098) is strong enough that it should be clicked.

this is what I would probably do, since its 128bpm, could honestly work for a normal too (maybe without the downbeat?), depending on how intense you map the rest of the song.
you simplify rhythm in lower diffs for intensity who would have thought, since lower diff players cant handle high intensity

if only osu players could read

also you literally sent the solution i typed
Zelzatter Zero
you said simplification for anything BUT intensity is stupid, while in lower difficulty it's for intensity AND difficulty (mainly the latter) so does it means lower diffs are stupid...?

Throwing out a vague statment and then expect people to not misunderstand is just not it bro.
WitherMite
the misunderstanding happened because it seems our definitions of intensity and difficulty are different.

you see them as the same thing. I've thought of intensity as being directly related to the song and artistic choice, while difficulty is for the meta reason of game balance. and some things you can do to affect one don't necessarily effect the other nearly as much.

though if you meant both, what other reason could someone have for simplifying rhythm anyway?
DeletedUser_13957006

i am very gay wrote:

Thats filtering rhythm choices which isnt the point of the post
no, dude. i am saying that not mapping prominent sounds can be okay depending on the circumstance, even if it isn't justified by intensity. it isn't about preferring one instrument over another or "rhythm filtering" whatever that means.

let's say i am mapping an insane difficulty of this song and i happen to reach the section at 0:20. most people would argue that insane is a difficulty advanced enough that simplifying rhythms is not necessary. however, in that case, it would be too straining if i kept everything as triples because the finger control would be too hard for an insane. switching between only 1/4 repeating sliders and triples would get stale quickly, especially considering the song doesn't change for another 20 seconds. what i could do instead, is to simplify rhythm and not map it 100% accurately so it can be represent music most effectively and be appropriate to play for its intended difficulty level, like this.
Topic Starter
Ccori
Thanks for all the discussion and help! I've made modification to my map.

i am very gay wrote:

also can you show any instruments other then vocals? having a 3/4 repeat slider could work on the 2 if it matches with a drum, or even just having it not repeat since the section is calm anyway
Aside from vocal here is just a constant soft 1/4 background sound (WhiteMite already said it)