forum

Silence, Duration, Drama, Whatever? [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
Lilabloom
so.. lately it's getting more annoying to be around #osu channel. it seems that people loves to pick fights, cause drama and generally cause a uproar..

tbh, i think the silence time and the duration before the silence dissapears from the profile (in the 10 warning -> ban thing) is to short.

overally. i think the duration should go up (imo 4hr, 16hr, 64hr, etc..) and 1-3 month before it goes away from profile?

people would probably disagree on dis and whatever. but tbh, idc... if it's to make #osu more friendly and less drama, it's a suggestion to look at.

(it is suggested now and i think it's for the better)
Stefan
To be honest: It's #osu. we cannot really change the behaviour of some people in the chat, and some of them never will change. However I find it's fine how we (means the Moderators) deal with "bad users" and how big the punishment is. If someone is spamming on a non-english language he mostly will stop spamming after his first silence. If that doesn't happen then the user will be silenced for several times. And going on.. Also I think with 15 ~ 20 which are permanently online during a day I think it won't escalate the drama there.
Kitsunemimi
I'm agreeing with Stefan on this one. #osu has times where people behave better, and then other times when a bunch of retards just come along, but that's basically just how internet/game chats are. Making the punishments longer is just going to make it harder for everyone, because the mods have to be absolutely sure if they want to silence somebody before they do it (the silence period must be justified), and people who are frequently silenced will just get even more pissed at those mods *cough*Blaze*ahem*.

Sometimes you just have to put up with it, or find another channel to chat in, like #english.
Bobbias
I stay far away from #osu specifically because it's usually filled with immature and annoying people. I see this failing as a failing to properly moderate. Unfortunately, nobody likes being on the receiving end of a silence, and people don't like to make everyone hate them for actually moderating stuff, so everyone's natural instinct is to moderate as little as possible in case you possibly silence someone for something they feel is unjustified and have to deal with the fallout. This is magnified within tight knit communities (and osu counts) where the people being moderated are known members of the community.

tl;dr: moderators need to man up and actually deal with stuff, or people need to get used to the fact that chat is going to be a terrible place. You can't have nice things if nobody protects them. You can't have nice mature civil chat without moderation when you have this many people in one chat.
Shohei Ohtani

Bobbias wrote:

tl;dr: moderators need to man up and actually deal with stuff
Except that if they actually do things it's like everyone calls them power abusers and does everything in their power to bother them.

A lot of silencing is politics, sadly.

Plus, a lot of people don't utilize the !report function, they just complain within chat, so moderators aren't notified when something is happening (And a lot of active chat mods are focused moreso on their assigned language channel rather than #osu, so sometimes things will get away)
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
in a big forest, all kinds of birds appear

probably the best way is just to stay in a "high-quality" circle and avoid the new/annoying people which you don't want to see
Sync

CDFA wrote:

no lol

here's how silences go down in #lounge:
1. mod sees report or notices it himself while reading chat
2. mod uses judgement/common sense and !kills if necessary (usually/should give warning if they aren't a repeat offender)
3. mod and user move on with their day (this is the case 99.999% of the time)

99% of silences are justified

there is barely any "drama" that comes from silencing people (recently, that is) -- usually just loud people being loud
Kitsunemimi

Bobbias wrote:

tl;dr: moderators need to man up and actually deal with stuff, or people need to get used to the fact that chat is going to be a terrible place. You can't have nice things if nobody protects them. You can't have nice mature civil chat without moderation when you have this many people in one chat.
In other words, we haven't had enough !moderated's lately :3
XPJ38

Bobbias wrote:

Switch to #english then. #osu was useful when the community was not as big as today, but now it has become more of a random chat where everybody can talk. If you want serious conversations, just use other channels.
dNextGen
ITT : faggots complaining about online chat

OP is a faggot also
jesse1412
Silences are pointless regardless of how long because no one cares about them. They don't, can't and wont discourage behaviour, they simply stop all behaviour for a set period of time.

Also I think anyone who uses a /me command outside of sarcasm should be silenced for nonsense, it's rather subjective.
GladiOol
anybody who has an anime avatar should get their posting rights removed and be silenced till they change it.
[Luanny]

GladiOol wrote:

anybody who has an anime avatar should get their posting rights removed and be silenced till they change it.
omg haueaheuaheauahue
also yeah #osu is the first channel which opens automatically when people enter osu!
And is the first place people will spam.
Move to #english and have fun~

Extending the time the silence will appear on profiles will just bring more mad people and more drama
TheVileOne
The staff will decide the appropriate punishment for offenses. They are capable of dealing out longer silences. I think that the time that offenses stay on your profile is a bit short, but Feature requests is not the place to discuss such things. If the staff finds that this is a problem, they will discuss it in a private setting.

Contact Ephemeral if you feel this is really a problem. He is osu's Community Manager.
Shohei Ohtani
:oops:

Sync wrote:

CDFA wrote:

no lol

here's how silences go down in #lounge:
1. mod sees report or notices it himself while reading chat
2. mod uses judgement/common sense and !kills if necessary (usually/should give warning if they aren't a repeat offender)
3. mod and user move on with their day (this is the case 99.999% of the time)

99% of silences are justified

there is barely any "drama" that comes from silencing people (recently, that is) -- usually just loud people being loud
dam, maybe I just talk to the wrong people then, lol :P.
jesse1412

GladiOol wrote:

Silence all cakes.
Stefan

jesus1412 wrote:

GladiOol wrote:

Silence all cakes.
/thread
GladiOol
racism.
tiper

GladiOol wrote:

Seems legit. I've lost my ava with pony and signature "i don't care".
lately it's getting more annoying to be around #osu channel.
You should be glad that you've never been in #russian. There's no moderation right now because TicClick went afk for some time.