forum

Advice on timing a song that fluctuates at a very small scale

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
bird on osu
I want to map this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbdLvwuEAK4

but when I actually go into the editor and try to make timing points for it I get fluctuations that can only be explained by the music not being perfectly quantized to a metronome. Are songs like this not mappable without hours of timing points being created? If so is there some kind of trick to getting the points just right?

My timing panel already looks like this, which can't be a good sign, even though the "metronome" that I am creating sounds on beat for about 8 bars until it's not again.

Does anyone have any advice for this or does it really just come down to spamming red lines until it's perfect?
TheKingHenry
For starters you want to make sure it's actually variable timing so you ain't doing buncha work for nothing. Meshuggah for example typically would be stable bpms, though this is older material of theirs so perhaps not. Worth also a note that very slight variations ain't worth timing, and it's looking like your bpm changes ain't probably amounting to notable differences, looking at the bpms.

Anyways

bird on osu wrote:

Are songs like this not mappable without hours of timing points being created?
using a lot of time on the timing ain't exactly skippable when it comes to variable timing, but "spam until it's perfect" isn't necessarily the best perspective on it. You'll get better at it with time and all that jazz, but for now you may be interested in checking out some tutorials on it. Here's for example four first videos on youtube that came up with "osu variable timing": 1 2 3 4. Perhaps you'll find useful information in them

Good luck
Topic Starter
bird on osu
The first video you linked was very helpful, I appreciate the response. I wanted to map Meshuggah after looking at your Bleed map and saw that it was perfectly on the metronome for the whole song, so I'm a little jealous :(
TheKingHenry

bird on osu wrote:

I wanted to map Meshuggah after looking at your Bleed map and saw that it was perfectly on the metronome for the whole song, so I'm a little jealous :(
unlucky :(