forum

How do you make a good pattern

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CallMeHarv
how do mappers create a good pattern, its my first time mapping so i have no experience in creating good patterns but i don't want to copy others mapping patterns but i could get some inspirations but its still bad when i try to apply it on my map. Is there any tips you could give as an experienced mapper to a beginner like me?
ClovenHelm
Hey!! Not so experienced but lemme tell you what I think.

A good pattern, in my opinion, would be one that integrates well into the map.
One that is easy to play, nice to look at, and one that represents the song well. The knowledge of where each object will go will come about with experience. Though it isn't just about where you place your objects but also about what your objects even are.

To explain these points in-depth I would need to explain to you how to map. There's other great sources out there that are more credible than I am so I'll refrain from doing that xd

And of course, don't worry about copying other mappers. Actually, I kind of encourage you to. When you copy a map's pattern verbatim you'll get an understanding of the pattern itself. Like why that circle was placed this far away from the other circle, or why the sliders are forming these crazy shapes, etc. You learn the logic behind placements and rhythm choices. Doing this would teach you about mapping in general.

If you need more information/tips, videos made by A mo and Pishifat are available to help get you going.
(Some things in Pishifat's videos may be out of date so beware)

hatdog
Topic Starter
CallMeHarv

ClovenHelm wrote:

Hey!! Not so experienced but lemme tell you what I think.

One that is easy to play, nice to look at, and one that represents the song well. The knowledge of where each object will go will come about with experience. Though it isn't just about where you place your objects but also about what your objects even are.

To explain these points in-depth I would need to explain to you how to map. There's other great sources out there that are more credible than I am so I'll refrain from doing that xd

And of course, don't worry about copying other mappers. Actually, I kind of encourage you to. When you copy a map's pattern verbatim you'll get an understanding of the pattern itself. Like why that circle was placed this far away from the other circle, or why the sliders are forming these crazy shapes, etc. You learn the logic behind placements and rhythm choices. Doing this would teach you about mapping in general.

If you need more information/tips, videos made by A mo and Pishifat are available to help get you going.
(Some things in Pishifat's videos may be out of date so beware)

hatdog

Thanks for the tips you gave i watched some videos of Pishifat but i haven't seen A mo's videos so ill check out overall, thanks.
TheKingHenry

CallMeHarv wrote:

i could get some inspirations but its still bad when i try to apply it on my map
getting information by watching stuff, checking other maps etc. is fine and all, and recommendable, but this "applying stuff so it works" part you mention here will mainly only improve when you do it yourself

aka, map more ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

to improve more efficiently, getting some solid feedback on what you're doing is likely also in order, particularly before you have that tangible of a feeling on the stuff yourself
-White

ClovenHelm wrote:

One that is easy to play, nice to look at, and one that represents the song well.
For what it's worth, a good pattern may not be easy to play, nice to look at, or even integrate well into the map. However, I'd agree that all good patterns represent the song. If the song has as section of the music that feels completely disconnected from the rest, you may look to represent that by making a pattern that's very disconnected from the rest of the map. This may be by making it uncomfortable when previously you had used comfortable movements, or maybe you use visual contrast such as Monstrata's A.L.I.E.N which contrasts a "ugly" aesthetic with a very traditional "clean" aesthetic to contrast the very different parts of the song.

TL;DR Saying a pattern has to look nice or be easy to play to be considered "good" isn't always true!
Uniform
I agree with what ClovenHelm said in the sense that good patterns work well with the map. Imo it doesn't really matter what type of sliders you use or other aesthetic stuff like that. It matters that all of the objects fit well with each other and are placed in a consistent manner.