forum

Any tips on handling spin (catching bananas)?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ruria3
Hi, so yeah ik this may have been asked/discussed many times before but seriously how do you guys know how to catch those bananas? Like how do you find/follow the spot with the most abundant bananas, how do you know exactly if you have caught the bananas so you can keep collecting more, or how do you practice? This has been bugging me since forever, like even tho my ryuuta is standing still just under those bananas it seems like it catches just a few especially with HD on.

pain
I CAN FC
Nikolai
luck
Zephirine
Watch other players' replays and plagiarise routes. Recommended: RAMPAGE88, mjj741, DreStar, jongwon12, rostld, Nana Tsubasa, JJH and so on
LyronXXX
Here is how it goes for me:

Play a new map a lot of times.
Notice that you most likely already know spin patterns at the start of maps from other maps.
Finally get your top play and notice that there are players who got an even better score.
Play the map more until you reach the point where you are wondering how they did it.
Watching their top plays - in 2x speed, until they reach the bananas at which point you are watching it at 0,5x speed.
Try to adapt to their strategy.
Realize that you forgot their exact movement, so you watch 2 minutes in DT+ speed once again until you reach the final spinner in their replay and actually got to see the relevant 5 seconds for you once again.
Adapt to their strategy and notice that they went insanely lucky.
Grind until you get their exact score. It feels great, but you are still behind them in the leaderboards.
Analyse in edit mode to find out + practice the absolute best route.
Finally beat their score but you notice that you could have gotten like 2 more bananas.
You either call it a day here or grind until you catch those bananas, too.
You either somehow missed a spinner strategy which you'll notice at the next day by seeing a players score which is easily 5500 points higher than yours or you actually got a decent score at which point someone plays HR+HD instead of your HR+NC and easily claims your spot on the leaderboards. This is when you can be satisfied. =)

Jokes aside you just get better at spinners eventually.
Edgar_Figaro
Besides leaderboard sniping or a tiny score boost to beat other fcs in a multi lobby, I find devoting effort to mastering spinners to not be worth it.

Imo droplets and bananas should trade score value so that an SS almost always beats a crap acc but good spinner.
pandaBear
Lots of answers here already. I may just be repeating some. Watch others replays of people who did a better spinner than you and see if you can replicate that or come close.

Also lots of practice. Practising spinners on a particular map over and over may help you get that particular spinner pattern down. Usually you will see the same or similar spinner patterns on quite a few maps so if you practice it on one map, you will surely find that same or similar spinner pattern on another.

Spinners at the start of songs are nice and easy to practice. I usually just do the starting spinner and look at the score that I have gotten. You can also watch replays to see the scores of other players to get a benchmark of what you should try to aim for. After a while you will get a feel for what a good spinner score is for a particular pattern at the start of a map. This does not mean that you don't practice spinners later on in the map. The spinners at the start of a map is just a good place to start, spinners later on are also handy as they will have different patterns compared to the starting spinners.

There are also some spinner patterns that may look completely random and some that have a clear or better path for the max score.

There are no real tips on whether you have caught the bananas. That usually comes with experience (especially with mods)

Hopefully this helps