forum

[resolved] Disabled tablet tap "stored" and clicks menu button on pause [confirmed]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Pagno
I just got a tablet, and the first thing I noticed is this: once you press Esc while playing after having tapped at least once, it clicks on the pause buttons.

-It only happens if you tap while playing, not in break times
-It only happens with tablet
-It only happens if you have mouse buttons disabled
-If you tap then you press Esc, it clicks the button where your cursor is currently at

It may result annoying if you have to pause the game and it goes back to the menu

How to replicate:
0. Make sure "Enable OS TabletPC Support" is enabled in Options
1. Start a map with mouse buttons disabled
2. Sometime after the first circle, tap with the tablet
3. Hover over the location of where one of the pause menu buttons will appear, than pause
4. The menu button will automatically be clicked.
Full Tablet
The video is Private. You need to make it public or Unlisted so we can see it.
TouchFluffyTail
By 'tap' do you mean pressing a 'hit' button or do you mean pressing your pen to your surface causing an input?

If it's the first one then I can confirm this. This has happened to me for as long as I can remember. Though I can't confirm it being tablet only, since my play habits before getting my tablet would never run into this. If I hit escape really quick while still in play (random miss while trying to SH or something for example) and I recently hit a circle (within a second or so before hitting escape) it will auto select whichever option is under the cursor as soon as the menu comes up [continue, retry, return to menu].

It can be kinda annoying when retrying a specific song a lot and it randomly sending you back to the song select because my cursor happened to be on that button when I hit escape. I've also accidentally hit retry on a song in break time when I went to pause after idly spamming my hit keys back and forth.
Topic Starter
Pagno
Sorry, I didn't notice I put the video to Private, fixed.
Anyway what I mean with "tap" is pressing the pen on the tablet causing a "click" which osu makes it stay on-hold until the game gets paused.
It has no time limit, so if you tap just once and you pause the game even one minute later, it will still click.
TouchFluffyTail

Pagno wrote:

Sorry, I didn't notice I put the video to Private, fixed.
Anyway what I mean with "tap" is pressing the pen on the tablet causing a "click" which osu makes it stay on-hold until the game gets paused.
It has no time limit, so if you tap just once and you pause the game even one minute later, it will still click.

Weird since I have the tip of my pen removed, meaning I cannot tap my surface for a click. ALTHOUGH I do regularly press my "mouse 1" button on the side of my pen, entirely just as an accidental action of my grip on it. I also have mouse buttons disabled due to this. If it's caused by mouse buttons being disabled and the game 'storing' your m1 input and releasing it on the escape menu, that would explain it happening for me - I need to test this out, since I haven't entirely explored the issue.
TouchFluffyTail
Alright I finally got around to testing this and this is what I found;

My issue specifically is this: using tablet, mouse buttons disabled. If I press my pen's side button OR tap my surface with the tip (resulting in a mouse 1 input) during a spinner it will "store" the mouse 1 input untill I hit escape, where it will release and auto hit whatever button the cursor is over. This does NOT happen if I press mouse 1 on my actual mouse in the same circumstances, even with my tablet connected.

I can't seem to get the video example to occur for me though, if I tap my surface with the tip or press my pen button in normal gameplay and hit escape, nothing happens, it only happens after inputting on a spinner.

For reference my tablet is a bamboo ctl-470.

Edit: I also seem to trigger this in another case, but I don't think it's as easily testable, since it seems to involve fasts streams and lots of inputs.

Edit2: seems to be the same principle but on sliders?
Topic Starter
Pagno
To me, this happens anytime I tap while mouse buttons are disabled and while the song is playing, not only on spinners and sliders
Nagashurai
I've noticed this as well with mine. My own personal solution to this was to hover while using the keyboard to click. However... Hovering only works so well on some beatmaps whereas others I tend to tap a few times.

That would be nice if there is a quick and easy fix to this.
Topic Starter
Pagno
As a very quick fix, I thought of enabling the pause buttons after few milliseconds after you pressed the esc key, so that it still taps when you pause the game but the pause buttons won't get pressed since they're disabled when it auto-taps
Topic Starter
Pagno
uhh, doesn't this happen to anyone else?
Ziggo
I can confirm this and it's really annoying because sometimes you unwillingly quit the map that way.
kingking9
This issue has been around for an extremely long time now, and i'm pretty sure there's a thread for it somewhere (can't remember what it was called).
Abel
Confirming this, also this causes freezes at the tablet, for like 1~3 secconds
MillhioreF
I can't seem to replicate this (except by holding down the tablet pen while pausing, which isn't a bug since it's causing a mouse click)
Abel

MillhioreF wrote:

I can't seem to replicate this (except by holding down the tablet pen while pausing, which isn't a bug since it's causing a mouse click)
nope mill, it taps when I have lifted the pen, or at least in my case, at 1cm above the tablet, if I tapped then paused, its like a click, even if I didnt clicked
MillhioreF
Okay, confirming now. This only happens when "Enable OS TabletPC Support" is ticked in options (so a temporary workaround would be to turn that off, if it doesn't break your tablet completely)
Koko Ban
p/2271850

smiliar problem, and yes. you can replicate this by holding click while pressing ESC to pause the game and the "accident" works the same way.
peppy
I can't replicate using mouse.
Abel

peppy wrote:

I was thinking that you use some sort of super alien techonology to play osu! ;_;
All my life was a lie ... even the cake was ;_;
MillhioreF
Yeah, it doesn't work with mouse at all, so it's definitely something wrong with the TabletPC service rather than with osu!. Probably still hotfixable though.
Koko Ban

peppy wrote:

i can replicate it using a mouse :O (at least the "hold click while pressing ESC" thing) but it happens more rarely then doing it with pen tablet.

try moving the mouse around while spamming ESC and holding click. it likely happens when the cursor is moving.

edit: tried it again just to make sure, and yes! it does happen even at mouse. it rarely happens though so it's not much of an issue to mouse players
TouchFluffyTail
This problem seems to manifest differently for different setups. Since Pagno can tap just in normal gameplay and get it to trigger, and mine only triggers when I do a disabled m1 input on sliders and spinners. I don't think this is possible to trigger with mouse only, since I couldn't get it to when I tested it.

Holding mouse 1 and hitting ESC has nothing to do with this, since osu is just putting your mouse 1 command through as soon as the menu appears. (which is what this issue is, except in the case of you HOLDING m1 you are doing it yourself...)
TheAussie
this happeneds to me all the fking time.. so annoying
Topic Starter
Pagno

MillhioreF wrote:

Okay, confirming now. This only happens when "Enable OS TabletPC Support" is ticked in options (so a temporary workaround would be to turn that off, if it doesn't break your tablet completely)
Actually to me this happens even if that setting is unticked
_koinuri
Happens to me all the time as well, I developed a habit to stay away from buttons when I pause so it doesn't exit randomly. >.>
peppy
I still can't replicate this one :(
VoidnOwO

Pagno wrote:

MillhioreF wrote:

Actually to me this happens even if that setting is unticked
This, it's annoying.
TouchFluffyTail

peppy wrote:

I still can't replicate this one :(
Have you tried tablet inputting mouse 1 during a slider or spinner yet? You might just have the same variant as me where it only triggers on those.
peppy
I can't replicate this with Enable Table OS enabled, during a slider, holding mouse 1 over the retry button.
Ziggo

peppy wrote:

I can't replicate this with Enable Table OS enabled, during a slider, holding mouse 1 over the retry button.
Have you tried with tablet or only with mouse? To me this only happens with tablet and if Enable Table OS is enabled and mouse buttons are disabled. Also it only "stores" the tablet klick if you are playing, not in breaks. (Btw, I have to plug in the tablet before starting osu! or Enable Table OS will have no effect even if it's enabled. Is this normal?)
TouchFluffyTail
Alright I did some more testing and found that all I have to do to trigger the glitch is to either hold my keyboard tap and press a mouse input on my tablet or vice-versa, if both input sources are used at once in any circumstance it will trigger as soon as I open the pause menu no matter what. I also could only get it to trigger with tablet OS support enabled and mouse buttons disabled in game, and this is only possible with the m1 and m2 from my tablet, mouse never triggers this. Breaktime will clear the glitch and I can't get it to trigger at all during it.

To eliminate any outside possibilities, I updated my tablet driver and then closed absolutely everything not system critical while testing and still got the glitch.

Ziggo wrote:

(Btw, I have to plug in the tablet before starting osu! or Enable Table OS will have no effect even if it's enabled. Is this normal?)
I get that too, I just assume it's because the way the OS triggers all your tablet drivers to kick on after it's been detected, and osu can't do whatever it does since you opened it before they were all running.
Wylo
Could this bug be reason why the game sometimes insta-retry whenever I pause? I thought it was my fault for accidentally tapping on the tablet.
TouchFluffyTail
Random update to this issue: I totally just figured out how to make a pen mouse1 input cause this without anything else, you just have to do a pen mouse1 input while a circle is on screen period. As long as mouse buttons are disabled ingame if you press esc after this you will release a single click wherever your cursor is.
peppy
I guess I need a tablet to reproduce this.. :|
peppy
This should be fixed in the latest test build.