forum

Fresh new ideas for mapping

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Annaerith
I would love to see those in OSU!
Please use those ideas any way you wish :)

- BATTLE/BOSS FIGHT: there is animation of battle as a background (for example dragon ball goku vs cell) and you have to click according to animation it makes you feel like you are battling the opponent yourself, sounds of successful hits would correspond to fighting sounds (probably would have to use voice from the corresponding anime instead of music)

- SKETCHING TRAINING: a slow AR0 with long slow lines to draw but a very thin CS8-10 that would make you try to sketch whats on the background, probably also best with animated background to at least switch to different sketches during one play (this is in mind for mostly starting beginners digital artists so it should be made with beginner difficulty priority)
aiq
they're not fresh or new ideas

boss fight: BlackY vs. Yooh - HAVOX
that sketching thing whatever: this is just non-sensical
Zelzatter Zero
how would you make the 2nd idea works tho?

Firstly, CS10 is already ridiculous for that as even experienced artists never need that kind or precision when it comes to sketching.

Secondly, this is a rhythm game, not a drawing software.
lewski
that kind of "sketching training" sounds like the equivalent of a jump training map: cute idea but it cannot work in practice
the way to get better at drawing is to actually draw, not trace the same picture in the same way over and over

plus as zel zero kinda said osu can't emulate what it's like to actually draw. what kind of art program tells you exactly which lines to draw, in which order, and even how fast to draw them? not to mention you don't have access to any of the tools you'd usually have
gummibar
genuinely unhappy with the responses here. a map made to that specific idea would probably suck, but there's tonnes of inspiration to be drawn from here. none of these ideas are perfect, but they have some worth amongst their flaws as osu!std novelties.
  1. skinning out a few gameplay elements or some storyboard tomfoolery would allow for handwriting training. probably has the most potential as hiragana/katakana characters because weeb game. stupid? yeah. pretty neat for around half an hour? definitely. thats enough for me.
  2. precise geometry. straight squares and perfect circles. tonnes of limitations here, and it would never really be useful for an artist, but its still a neat gimmick to put a loved leaderboard to. storyboard covers all hitcircles and sliderbodies and you have to draw at a constant velocity based on storyboard elements (i.e. draw semicircles based on their diameter, equilateral triangles based on them being cut in half, a perfect square based on two points, etc. etc.)
  3. more on the above point, a rankable bonus diff themed around precise geometry sliders.
  4. again, on the above point, a rankable bonus diff themed around precise sliderarts.
    cw: severe mental health disorders, i've seen people regard this specific item as disturbing
    you may have seen (if not, google should find it pretty easily) the artist with dementia who did self portraits as the disease progressed. that could be conveyed through varying sliderarts with a bit of effort. thats just one idea.
you all can keep those shitty ideas. i have one which i am keeping for myself, which i am especially proud of and i have to thank op for (if you're reading this, per your request i can dm it to you later).

i know everything above was laced with sarcasm, but for real, when someone comes to you with "i would love to see this!" dont shoot it down immediately. if its worth loving, its worth mulling over a little. sorry to be patronizing, but i think it would be neat if more people did that. cheers.

ps is this technically a map request?