forum

Allow latest artist's name order for previous songs.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
momoyo

>>Following this thread<<

The change proposed and applied in that post was:

"If an artist has provided an official translation for their name, this may be used in the romanised artist field. Official romanisation may be used for the spelling of an artist's name, but the name order must follow the related rule."

However this can be misleading in some circumstances. Per example,

Haruka prior 2018 was labeled officially as Haruka Shimotsuki and she released and had licensed songs under that order of name. However, in 2019 due to label change or own decision she is now labeled as Shimotsuki Haruka and is released songs from that year since that name. (It's just an example this never happened with this artist, it happened with others as far as I know though)

Which basically due to this new RC change for artist it means that for songs prior 2019 we would use Haruka Shimotsuki and after that year we would have to use Shimotsuki Haruka, which can cause a bunch of inconsistencies I don't agree with. Plus, Nominators/Mappers would have to check if the artist is in order every single time depending on the song (Also something I don't agree with). This doesn't happen that often, however to avoid this I believe a clarification of this change should be made.

So my proposal to avoid this is the following:

"If an artist has provided an official translation for their name, this may be used in the romanised artist field. Official romanisation may be used for the spelling of an artist's name, but the name order must follow the related rule. However, if an artist had songs licensed under a different name order, only the latest name provided should be applied."
caps
fyi, the rule that was changed was not the the allowance you mention, but rather the rule itself (https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/6011):

An artist's name is to be romanised in the order it is printed in the unicode field, unless an alternative order for the romanised name is provided by the artist.
Topic Starter
momoyo

caps wrote:

fyi, the rule that was changed was not the the allowance you mention, but rather the rule itself (https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/6011):

An artist's name is to be romanised in the order it is printed in the unicode field, unless an alternative order for the romanised name is provided by the artist.
The old one:

"If an artist has provided an official translation for their name, this may be used in the romanised artist field. Official romanisation may be used for the spelling of an artist's name, but the name order must follow the related rule."

This one was actually okay since we had a direct way to do it, it might be incorrect yes but at least we kept the consistency. Now with the new one it all depends on official sources rather than how we used to do it, which depending the timing can be different and not consistent, that's why I'd rather stick with the current author name rather than his old name order, etc.

Yes, it might or might not be the allowance I did mention, we can't know that since the change that was done a few days ago doesn't clarify situations like these, so we can't know if we should actually use the old artist's order for old songs or just keep the old and new ones with the new/current artist order (In case it changes somehow).

If a NAT or someone from the staff team in charge of the criterias or has knowledge whether my suggestion is already applied but RC doesn't state it please let me know so I can close this thread.
Noffy
Regarding name orders, I've written this up community/forums/topics/1415070?n=1

For recent vs. old artist names, that's a general thing that's mostly covered by

Artist names should be consistent between different songs from the same person or group in the Ranked or Loved sections. This does not apply if the person or group intentionally uses a different alias for different song or album releases.

I'd think
Topic Starter
momoyo

Noffy wrote:

Regarding name orders, I've written this up community/forums/topics/1415070?n=1

For recent vs. old artist names, that's a general thing that's mostly covered by

Artist names should be consistent between different songs from the same person or group in the Ranked or Loved sections. This does not apply if the person or group intentionally uses a different alias for different song or album releases.

I'd think
I couldn't agree more with the last sentence if I got it right, we've been using artists like Suzuki Konomi or Minase Inori for almost 5 years or even more, doing a different name order because a confusing change would be extremely weird. It really needs to be changed in my opinion.