forum

OD (Overall difficulty)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Cocomber
There are some recommended values but what would / should motivate higher or lower numbers for OD? I think only example that comes to my mind is that; if your song is live-performed by humans, like some old songs or bands like glass beach, and has changing BPM constantly, keeping OD lower would help with the shifts. Other than that, what would motivate a OD9 on an Insane or OD8 on an Expert? Or even OD3 on an Easy diff? OD makes hit-window smaller and makes getting 300s harder that way, but gives more Performance points for getting higher accuracy plays. If we ignore this, what are some general motivations or your motivations for setting such OD? Up until now I just set regular numbers that looked nice (e.g. CS is 3.6, so OD is 6) but I was wondering if there was more to it, or whether or not it needed more thought. Thanks :)
KumiDaiko
other than "if song has bpm changes, od is low", there's nothing else

i just stick with the ranking criteria
Topic Starter
Cocomber

KumiDaiko wrote:

Thanks for answering!! I think that makes sense, thought an Insane can have 7 or 9. Normals range from 3 to 5. The difference is actually a lot, so what motivates a mapper to set higher or lower? I guess most people go with whatever feels good, but maybe some people have more intricate reasoning (more PP?). I've seen that slider-only maps have OD 10, like why?
KumiDaiko

Cocomber wrote:

KumiDaiko wrote:

Thanks for answering!! I think that makes sense, thought an Insane can have 7 or 9. Normals range from 3 to 5. The difference is actually a lot, so what motivates a mapper to set higher or lower? I guess most people go with whatever feels good, but maybe some people have more intricate reasoning (more PP?). I've seen that slider-only maps have OD 10, like why?
slider leniency is insane so they put od 10 to counter that i guess
TheKingHenry
additionally, the higher bpm, the higher OD, typically, to possibly alleviate notelocking a bit (mostly applying to various types of expert and above diffs)