forum

[Osu!Mania] "WTF DIS SR SO FEIK" mapping challenge / contest [Finished]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hoshimegu Mio

Welcome to the "WTF DIS SR SO FEIK" mapping challenge / contest!!

Description

The "WTF DIS SR SO FEIK" mapping challenge / contest is a random idea that I came up with in the middle of the night, when I should be sleeping. The idea of the challenge / contest is to make the most difficult map with a low SR but still make it fun to play. I thought this idea would be a fun one to put on the forums as a sort of a "tournament". I mean, who doesn't love to see other people get tortured "perish" while playing your maps? Well then, let's get straight into this.
Rules

Well, before you pick up a song and already open the editor, here are a few rules to keep in mind:

1. No storyboard or map skin is allowed in this contest;
2. SV is allowed, but all SVs must be within what the game allows it to be (0.2 - 10.0, I believe);
3. SR (Star Rating) must be under 5.295, meaning that the game will round it to under 5.30;
4. SR must be above 3.995, which guarantees a decent amount of notes being pressed;
5. Only 4-8K is allowed;
6. Map length must be above 45s and under 600s;
7. The map must be considered "possible", meaning notes on a single key must be at least 100ms apart, LNs must be at least 50ms long, and there must be at least a 50ms gap between a long note's end and the next note on that specific key;
8. The maps must be made independently, meaning no collabs are allowed. Feel free to map the same song though. Any song is fine.
9. No overlapping notes are allowed, if this wasn't clear;
10. Don't make garbage on purpose. Seriously. Don't.
Scoring

Now that you know the rules, this is how the scoring system works when the maps have been made:

Step 1: Every participant plays every other map that is submitted (might have to change this according to the number of participants). Guests are welcome to play the maps, but their ratings will NOT be counted towards the final score. Every person only gets one chance to play each map, and they submit their scores to me (preferably with a screenshot). You may continue playing but only your first score will be counted. MODS: ScoreV2, No-Fail, and NOTHING ELSE. No-Fail is there to ensure that an attempt that you'd normally die on is still submitted.

Step 2: Every participant rate the quality of the maps that they play, on a scale of 0-5:

0: Worst map I've ever played
1: This is literal garbage
2: Meh, not what I would consider good.
3: Actually not bad.
4: Quite a decent map.
5: Incredibly fun to play.

⚠WARNING: You may ONLY rate maps "0" ONCE, and "5" ONCE.

Step 3: Final scores get calculated: Final score = (1000000 - Avg.Play score) * sqrt((Avg.Quality rating)^3).

Step 4: Results are published!
Awards

1st place: Umm... You get pride. Maybe not that much fame however. You get a trophy though (at least an image of one).
2nd place: OOF*64
3rd place: Graveyard map + 1. Maybe not. Who knows.
4th and beyond: same as 3rd place.
Events

Aug 18 - Sep 1: Sign-ups
Sep 2 - Sep 30: Map-making
Oct 1 - Oct 7: Map-playing and rating
Oct 8: Calculating scores
Oct 9: Results published

(All times are in GMT time)

Sign up below by replying if you're in any way interested and managed to read through this somehow!

I doubt that anyone will even find out about this dumb contest.
Test 05
*Test 05 feels pretty 彳亍!
luxrayy
yes i am interested i have not mapped anything other than harumachi clover and this one map i never finished and never plan on finishing
McEndu
I don't think a mere 5 digit can suffer from that much peer pressure (literal)...
Topic Starter
Hoshimegu Mio

McEndu wrote:

I don't think a mere 5 digit can suffer from that much peer pressure (literal)...
So are you in or not?
McEndu
yap I am in
abraker
Soooo make a super hard 4 star map with a song of your choice?

sure I'm in

How the hell does "Incredibly fun to play" and "stupid hard" go together I got no idea tho
abraker
this better belongs is mapping discussion instead of tournaments
WitherMite
just make a regular generic map, HP10, set SV to 10, double bpm in places you want to go extra fast, them boom, no passes and everyone rates you at 0.

joking about breaking rule 10 aside, sure I'm in assuming I can actually finish a map in a month.

im gonna regret this when it comes time to play and every map is a 5* 8k map
Topic Starter
Hoshimegu Mio
This is more about the quality though so maybe the multiplier would be changed to the square root of average quality cubed (n^(3/2)).
Topic Starter
Hoshimegu Mio
TBH I don't think this should be in Mapping Discussion.
WitherMite
why not? most mapping competitions are here
Sparky
What's the worst that can happen?

Count me in :D
Topic Starter
Hoshimegu Mio
Three days left for sign-ups.
epic man 2
im in lol where do i submit my map
Topic Starter
Hoshimegu Mio

epic man 2 wrote:

im in lol where do i submit my map
Just upload it and post the link here.

--

You can now start making your map. If you already started, please pick another song.

There is a couple of hours left but I would be at school by then.
Topic Starter
Hoshimegu Mio
Please reply if you have already finished.
WitherMite
I have a map that's finished, but I'm not super happy with it so I'm gonna try and make another, but if I run out of time I'll just submit that one.
WitherMite
ok, I wont have time to finish another map so Im just gonna drop this here: beatmapsets/1584525#mania/3236713

also I wont be available to play the maps until the 3rd or 4th.
Test 05
Sparky
McEndu
https://mcendu.github.io/rgarchive/osu/gengaozo_feik.osz

on x-hub for some reason

also going to be rate only due to skill issues
Topic Starter
Hoshimegu Mio
@abraker Submit your map as WIP if you can't finish it in time.
abraker
unfinished, but here it is

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1ljGUAW4xX5gd5TLUSM7Uz3k--FHnvS9g

edit: Finished but unpolished "temp (harder)" diff. Will need to remap a few parts since I am not happy how they play.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1YenKbMrLjh8uJVL3aca_ySdFnTb_JUYY
Topic Starter
Hoshimegu Mio
BTW post all your scores and ratings here.

epic man 2: https://yyottacat.s-ul.eu/3S6SCbJO
Topic Starter
Hoshimegu Mio
Don't forget to rate other people's maps!
abraker
WitherMite

WitherMite wrote:

ok, I wont have time to finish another map so Im just gonna drop this here: beatmapsets/1584525#mania/3236713

also I wont be available to play the maps until the 3rd or 4th.

Difficulty: Eh normal difficulty. I don't see anything too challenging. Can prob 98.5+ it. 4/10

Patterns: the streams were nice but they did not feel fully developed. The LN parts def need more work. Would have been better if you just stuck to streams. Rose is a map that is you should check out for reference. 5/10

Total rating: 5.5/10

Test 05

Test 05 wrote:

beatmapsets/1586429#mania/3240250

I had to nuke all svs because I'd rather delete that cancer and give a 0/10

Difficulty: Surprising difficult. This is definitely not something I can do well. 9/10

Patterns: Oh boy. I take it you used the devil's playbook of most uncomfortable LN patterns. The [23] long jacks sections were like... bruh, but also understandably meant to give hell. Nevertheless I did see interesting patterns, and that's enough to make me interested. 8/10

Gonna take off 2 pts for sv tho. I happen to hate most sv.

Total rating: 6.5/10

-Sparky-

-Sparky- wrote:

beatmapsets/1588517#mania/3244413 o/

I'm going to be judging based on 1.05x diff

Difficulty: Inverse is a rather cheap way to make players not good at at to tank that acc, so I won't give points for taking advantage of that. LN overall has some difficulty involved, but nothing that jumps out at me telling that I am not good enough for this. 6/10

Patterns: Can't say it's unique as it feels most of ranked is full of various LN these days, but I am not used to playing so much of that stuff. It's definitely different from LN type maps made in 2016 - 2018 I typically play. Intriguing but not too much. 7/10.

I will deduct half a point because the map was mistimed. A single 10 second playthrough would have caught that.

Total rating: 6/10

McEndu

McEndu wrote:

https://mcendu.github.io/rgarchive/osu/gengaozo_feik.osz

on x-hub for some reason

also going to be rate only due to skill issues

I should be able to S it hmmm

Difficulty: Tested my jack skill pretty well. Need skill. 8/10

Patterns: Nothing too ground breaking or out of the ordinary, but there is a good sense of rhythm in the map, so I'll give you that. I typically enjoy playing these types of maps so uhhhh... 7/10

Total rating: 7.5/10

epic man 2

YyottaCat wrote:

BTW post all your scores and ratings here.

epic man 2: https://yyottacat.s-ul.eu/3S6SCbJO

Totally missed this one oops.

Difficulty: It's 5 stars, so going in I expected the worst. To my surprise I passed it. It was still hard and I don't have the speed to keep up with half of it. 8/10

Patterns: LN + rice mapping needs to be done properly or it can be pretty bleh. Also usually patterns are modified to accompany speed up as to not have runaway difficulty, or at least make things somewhat comfortable. Instead it takes advantage of that to hit you with an unsolicited DT mod. 5/10

Total rating: 6.5/10
Sparky
Hey look I actually remembered to do this part o/

Scores/Rating/Screenshots in the boxes below, I hope I didn't forget someone orz

McEndu
Score: 880,342 (v2)
Rating: 4/5
I could see someone using this as minijack/longjack practice (probably even on DT cause people are masochists tbh)
There's nothing inherently unfair about this map, I wish the intro had a bit of variance, but that's like, nitpicky at best.
The patterns are fun and if you like minijacks this is a good song for it.

WitherMite
Score: 898,229 (v2)
Rating: 4.5/5
Really fun!! Nothing outrageously unfair in this chart, the handstreams into anchors are really nicely done, I just feel some of the handstream patterns get a teeeny bit repetitive, but they're a blast to just let your hands run on once you know the patterns. Personally, I would've charted the guitar solo, but following the motif of anchors into streams it's still nice to play through. Another chart that would be a great warmup tbh.

Test 05
Score: 416,255 (v2)
Rating: 2/5

I like SV charts, I really do. I really wish there wasn't an SR* requirement cause I feel like this could've been REALLY GOOD if it wasn't so crazy bloated for the sake of difficulty LMAO. The SV components hit the impacts where they need to and the patterns at parts go Super Well with the song, but oh my god I had to stop and watch what was going on my first time playing cause I couldn't stop laughing at how ridiculous some of it was. It's only a 2/5 cause without the bloat for the * rating I think this would be actually fun to play some more

abraker
Score: 840,124 (v2)
Rating: 4/5

You're either good at jacks or you're not, and I'm not OOPS.

This should be played at a high volume, preferably in a residential area.
In reality, this is a really nice bit of charting! I wish it were finished TBH but that's fine, I probably wouldn't have held on to an S if it were LMAO

My only gripe with this map is those quick triple jacks at the end, but that's a mad cause bad moment, all the bursts line up pretty well with the music so if you're really On with your acc, the hitsounds would be CRISPY.

epic man 2
Score: 609,072 (v2)
Rating: 2/5

I got about a quarter of the way through the map before I remembered this song speeds up and I was like oh no

This is a VERY CHAOTIC CHART and it's FUNNY and I appreciate that. There's someone out there who would unironically play this and try and acc it, but I am not that person. It starts off really nice, the patterns aren't that bad overall, it's just the speed that really makes it feel like the wheels fall off towards the end. I'm glad this exists.

WitherMite
man i suck at this game.

Test05

tbh, not a huge fan of these kind of over the top SV effects, though the map itself is nice and it probably would have been fun to play if I could read it.

3.8/5
-Sparky-
nice miss count
mistimed, which I have to drop points for (Dont time to vocals, you can move ahead in the timeline and line up other downbeats once you have the right bpm you can just move the redline onto the vocal downbeat. 245 seemed to be a better offset btw.) also 100% hitsound volume ow. I wont dock score for that though hitsounds dont really matter in mania tbh.

I suck at LNs but these weren't really that difficult all things considered. really heavy on split chord patterns so it got a bit tiring to play. I enjoyed it though. didnt enjoy forgetting to put NF and Sv2 on repeatedly.
3.4/5
McEndu

pretty sure this technically breaks rule 4, but I think its fine since it definitely meets the point of the contest, so please dont disqualify this. plenty of keys being pressed in this map
I need to work on my jack stamina, but I really like this map. not a whole lot to say though, its a jackhammer map.

4.3/5
abraker

noice banger song, banger map. unfortunately I lack the skill to really enjoy it :( hope you finish it
4.8/5
epic man 2

hmm pure chaos there at the end, but it definitely still felt like a 5*, if a fast one.
fun to fail to play though
3/5

me
trash map 0/5 not even difficult too much copy paste
ik we arent supposed to rate ourselves
might finish the other map I was working on before I ran out of time though.
luxrayy
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OX68UTLysOvEdhXnEFQySzpNm1M6kNFs/view?usp=sharing

i'll rate others maps in a bit

edit: alright SHIT i just realized i didn't put sv2 before playing, and i kinda don't feel like playing them again so i'm just gonna leave them like that for another time

withermite

jumpstreamz are pretty cool, although a bit repetitive, but it's really fun to play nonetheless
4/5

test05

i'm just shit at svs, but i still do feel like this was a heavy overuse of svs, although i like the short ln placements (that or i'm just a dumbass when it comes to mapping)
2/5
-sparky-

i liked the first half the most, although there were some timing issues i still do like the flow of the song on the first half. the second half was mainly inverse/LN based, which i don't feel is the best choice for a song like that, but it's still pretty solid mapping
3/5
mcendu

nice jack map, i feel like this could be part of one of those "jack practice for 5 digits" packs, although pretty repetitive
the only thing i excuse from repetition are jumpstream maps, because they're really fun compared to like every other pattern, jacks included
3/5
abraker

playing this felt like an eternity for some reason lmao
nice jack patterns, nice song and tech map
4/5
epic man 2

rice mapping mixed with lns, interesting
pretty fun and challenging, i liked the first half of the song the best
3.5/5
Topic Starter
Hoshimegu Mio

magicaLuxray wrote:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OX68UTLysOvEdhXnEFQySzpNm1M6kNFs/view?usp=sharing

i'll rate others maps in a bit

edit: alright SHIT i just realized i didn't put sv2 before playing, and i kinda don't feel like playing them again so i'm just gonna leave them like that for another time

withermite

jumpstreamz are pretty cool, although a bit repetitive, but it's really fun to play nonetheless
4/5

test05

i'm just shit at svs, but i still do feel like this was a heavy overuse of svs, although i like the short ln placements (that or i'm just a dumbass when it comes to mapping)
2/5
-sparky-

i liked the first half the most, although there were some timing issues i still do like the flow of the song on the first half. the second half was mainly inverse/LN based, which i don't feel is the best choice for a song like that, but it's still pretty solid mapping
3/5
mcendu

nice jack map, i feel like this could be part of one of those "jack practice for 5 digits" packs, although pretty repetitive
the only thing i excuse from repetition are jumpstream maps, because they're really fun compared to like every other pattern, jacks included
abraker

playing this felt like an eternity for some reason lmao
nice jack patterns, nice song and tech map
4/5
epic man 2

rice mapping mixed with lns, interesting
pretty fun and challenging, i liked the first half of the song the best
3.5/5
You failed to rate McEndu's map.

If any of you somehow enjoyed this then I could do another one that has different rules in 2022. Core concept is still to maintain quality in weird circumstances.
Test 05
WitherMite

4/5
Nice practice map for js :3 It could be better if there were fewer LNs. (And I felt like some copy-paste in the map.
) :o

-Sparky-

I hate and suck at LN. :/ As a rice main, I would just say I can't play it. (Especially the inverse) XD
3/5

Mcendu

4/5 cuz I can only rate a 5 once. Minijacks are fun (when they appear alone and not within js/hs)
加密通话: 纵连加长点! 来个3-5s超长待机 (

abraker

5/5 solid mapping ❤

epic man 2

4/5 Pretty nice map, except too many LNs qwq but that would be my problem, not the map.

Test 05
Bruh I don't want to play that shit, XD hmmmml......↑ the main idea of it. I hate SV and LN, why'd I make that map lol.
Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of this mapping challenge. _(:з」∠)_
McEndu
rly bad at playing so not posting scores.

Test 05
The layering is done pretty well. SVs are too heavy to be considered playable though, as seen from the scores of others. Rating: 3/5.
WitherMite
The chordstreams can get really repetitive at times; Consider adding some variation. Aside from this, things are mostly good. Rating: 4/5.

Nitpicks:

03:24:308 (204308|1,204388|2,204388|3,204388|1) - I don't think this deserves a minijack. Consider shortening the LN for some space.
abraker
(Rating Jack (temp)) I can't comprehend the layering in some places, for example 00:19:200 - to 00:22:400 -, as these sections are no way similar to how the meta would do this. I don't know how much of these are intentional, and how much of these are errors. Rating: 3/5.
-Sparky-
The song is mistimed; Offset should be 224. Metadata is unfilled -- Go to song setup to check it. Most of the song seem somehow OK, though some things are objectionable. Rating: 3/5.

Notes:
  1. 00:08:099 - until 00:12:036 - Jumptrills is probably not the best way to map this section. A handstream might fit this section better. The following pictures can serve as ideas:
    ss/17134246/b15e
    ss/17134247/3ba5
  2. 00:31:724 - Long note end don't give enough impact. Consider cutting the LNs short and put some notes here.
  3. 01:22:724 - Notes should be placed here.
epic man 2
L I N E A R A C C E L E R A T O R
Most things are good when taken out of context. Jacks at higher BPM sections can catch people off guard still. Rating: 4/5.
magicaLuxray
Starting from wrong timing, the whole map becomes really off for the song so... Rating: Not given as contestant came late.

Artist is ZAQ, and song is from 食戟のソーマ 餐ノ皿, by the way.

PS. @Host Things can be a lot more underrated than you think. Like SV maps.
Topic Starter
Hoshimegu Mio
One person still hasn't submitted...
epic man 2
ok fine ill play the maps uhhhh

epic man 2
what is this i cant rate my own maps LOL but eh whatever i decided to play it myself with a dash of keyboard uncomfortability on my side

-Sparky-
To be fair, the map on its own seems slightly harder than what it is rated (Being 3.97*) but a lot of the time the patterning in the chart doesn't make sense with the song with its usage of LN inverses and is also offsync apparently (BPM is correct, but the offset should be something like 231 as 285 is really late compared to when the instrumentality kicks in). I think the map isn't too hard compared to what it is rated and feels like a sort of map at 4.1* because of the amount of LN patterns used in this -- with all of this out of the way, I give this chart a 2/5 (Also, why does the map cut off before the song ends?).

McEndu
Alrighty so the map here appears to be a chart filled with jack patterning in places throughout the map -- overall although it is a 3.5* with simple jacks at 153 BPM, this map would seem to be at around 3.7* in my opinion, even though that isn't really a large difference. Aside from these, I give this chart a 2/5 as I think it could've represented more in the map while still trying to aim for having an underrated difficulty (Don't mind that weird HP curve in the score, it was a lag spike and this was my first attempt so I can't replay just to make it look good lol).

WitherMite
This map seems to use quite a bunch of jumpstreams throughout the map at 188 BPM with a SR of 4.25*, not really much else to say about it tbh but some areas could've been tweaked in terms of representing sounds in the song as sometimes they don't make much sense -- for someone's 8th Mania map in total, this actually seems pretty decent! Overall this map feels like a map of 4.4* SR which again I don't think is too much so yea. I give this chart a 3/5.

Test 05
OK YEA THIS MAP IS HARD LMAO but its mainly because of the SV if you're just sightreading the map. One part of the first chorus also seems to be harder than any other segment in the map (difficulty spike) with the 1/3rd snap jump anchors and stuff. I give this chart a 3/5 supposedly.

abraker
Map doesn't really seem to be too hard, even with those weird 1/16th burst chordjack patterns.. But also, why is it that the set's file itself is 46MB when there isn't any visibly large files in the set itself? Aside from these, I give this chart a rating of 3/5 -- not exactly the best, but its still pretty decent I suppose.

ok idk what else to do but i guess i rated things, thanks for the opportunity to participate in this contest and i'll be leaving this forum now -- bye!
abraker
Finally someone complained about the ridiculous file size lol
Topic Starter
Hoshimegu Mio
OK results will be out in a bit.

WitherMite:

Difficulty Rating: 53750.2

Quality Rating: 6.775

Total Score: 377917.656

McEndu:

Difficulty Rating: 134580.8

Quality Rating: 6.775

Total Score: 911784.920

Test 05:

Difficulty Rating: 585434.2

Quality Rating: 4.761

Total Score: 2787252.226

-Sparky-:

Difficulty Rating: 134077.2

Quality Rating: 4.761

Total Score: 638341.549

abraker:

Difficulty Rating: 136028.4

Quality Rating: 8

Total Score: 1088227.2

epic man 2:

Difficulty Rating: 298208.6

Quality Rating: 6.077

Total Score: 1812213.6622

magicaLuxray:

For some reason people chose to ignore this so 0 points.
abraker
lol rip magical

they posted map after I finished rating

so I guess thats where not completing on deadline shoots yourself in the foot

regardless of host says
McEndu
Soo... Congratulations for Test 05, you are really 彳亍!

加密通话:这就是初见杀的奥义
Test 05
什么?magicaLuxray? 我下图的时候真的没看见他 D:
绝了!
luxrayy

abraker wrote:

lol rip magical

they posted map after I finished rating

so I guess thats where not completing on deadline shoots yourself in the foot

regardless of host says
funny thing is i actually finished my map during the first day, i guess i just kinda forgot about this thread until i was reminded