forum

Who has this tablet?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dexus
http://www.huion-tablet.com/product/pro ... p?sku=1012

It seems that it has a higher polling rate than a wacom tablet. I just would like to know how well it handles because I'm debating on switching to it. The tablet itself isn't very expensive neither.
Full Tablet

Dexus wrote:

http://www.huion-tablet.com/product/product.php?sku=1012

It seems that it has a higher polling rate than a wacom tablet. I just would like to know how well it handles because I'm debating on switching to it. The tablet itself isn't very expensive neither.
Polling Rate doesn't really affect much for playing this game (as long as you have at least 120RPS). More than that RPS doesn't improve visual feedback of the cursor, and cases where you miss a note because of less than 10ms of displacement of the cursor are extremely rare.

I don't have that tablet, but from the description on the site it MIGHT have these issues (someone would need to test it to confirm).

- It has an auto-sleep feature. That means that the pen might disconnect while you hover (making it potentially useless for osu!).
- It uses a battery. A battery adds a bit of weight to the pen, and it might move the center of mass of the pen more towards the opposite side of the tip (making it uncomfortable if you are used to the bamboo pen, which has the center of gravity near the center of the pen, slightly towards the tip).
Topic Starter
Dexus
I think the higher the sampling the faster it would snap to where you're going. I can see a difference in a 400 polling rate for a mouse compared to the tablet. The tablet feels like it's not as snappy because of the low polling rate. Yes it's absolute positioning but it responds a bit slow. You can adapt to the speed of it, but with something more precise (by almost 100 more polling) I feel it would be a better choice. As for the pen I doubt it would be an issue with weight (the sleep mode may pose a problem). I'll just drop the cash for it and see for myself and report back if it's any different or even worth getting, because it's honestly not a lot to get.
Callum
~
Oinari-sama

Dexus wrote:

I think the higher the sampling the faster it would snap to where you're going. I can see a difference in a 400 polling rate for a mouse compared to the tablet.
I think it just feels that way. 230rps means that the tablet reports a change every 4.3478ms. If you have a monitor with 4ms response time then you might "see" lag because the refresh of the monitor is faster than that of the tablet. A 400rps mouse will report every 2.5ms so obviously it "feels" more responsive than that tablet you quoted. See if you can somehow oc that tablet of yours pass 250rps.

But seriously, 100rps tablet should be more than enough for a game like osu if you think about what it means physically. Say the tablet has a diagonal length of 10cm, with 100rps it can capture a cursor movement of 1m/s. Normally you don't need to move your body parts at this speed when you play osu.

I think those high rps tablets were targetting high end graphics designers, as higher rps means smoother curves when they draw.
TakuMii
The only problems I see would be the reported potential driver issues (which I've found from a Google search), and the potential problems with having a battery powered pen. But it looks like the hover distance is 3x the distance of a Bamboo so that'd also be a plus if it works well.

Callum Melville wrote:

Why not just pay a little extra for a Wacom tablet?
I think the OP already has a Wacom tablet...
Callum
~
Golfdinger

Oinari-sama wrote:

I think it just feels that way. 230rps means that the tablet reports a change every 4.3478ms. If you have a monitor with 4ms response time then you might "see" lag because the refresh of the monitor is faster than that of the tablet.
Input lag from your mouse/tablet is accumulative with your monitor's input lag. The difference would be there regardless of the refresh rate of your monitor.
Full Tablet

Golfdinger wrote:

Oinari-sama wrote:

I think it just feels that way. 230rps means that the tablet reports a change every 4.3478ms. If you have a monitor with 4ms response time then you might "see" lag because the refresh of the monitor is faster than that of the tablet.
Input lag from your mouse/tablet is accumulative with your monitor's input lag. The difference would be there regardless of the refresh rate of your monitor.
Not really. The input lag from the tablet, if it is lower than the monitor refresh time (which is higher than the pixel response time if the monitor is set up correctly, usually between 17ms and 9ms), only affects the input lag of the game (what the game "perceives"), not the lag of the display.
Icyteru
battery powered pens are a big nono in terms practically. the technology in non-battery powered pens makes the extra 10 bucks or so worth it
Shiinon
Okay, I can see there's some BS statements in this one. So let's clear things up shall we?

Note: When I write real FPS I will be referring to the lower out of game FPS or monitor FPS. Aka the amount of new frames actually displayed on the monitor.

First of, the visuals. Let's say you change from lower to higher polling rate.
The movement of the cursor will not look smoother at all UNLESS your real FPS is higher than the device with lower RPS. Because, If the RPS this is lower (not likely, since most monitors are 60, some 120 FPS), you will get multiple frames within the same report from your tablet. But if it's higher you will already get the new latest poll's positions displayed.

For the delay, changing to a higher polling rate, assuming that nothing else is changed (input lag), there will be a minor improvement. But changing to a tablet with higher RPS will not guarantee a shorter delay.

However, increasing RPS will make the cursors movement smoother, even for the case when it's not improved visually. This should increase accuracy, by improving consistency, for the moments when your cursor enters/leaves a circle just before/after you click it.

My thoughts on higher RPS?
I don't think it will help very much, though I would like a high RPS tablet myself. More RPS is better, in all cases (speaking generally, it could make you miss a note you would hit with lower RPS, but it's not as likely as the other way around).

However, what should be more important for playing osu! is, getting as low lag as possible when it comes to:
Delay between tablet and computer. Delay between computer and monitor. Delay between computer and speakers.
And then there's higher FPS monitors. If you're playing on a 60 FPS monitor I would recommend changing. People on some threads claim that it will not make any difference whatsoever. That's not the case... Increasing real FPS will improve the smoothness. I recently changed from 60 to 120 FPS. What especially gets affected by this is the cursor movement. While moving something small over the screen at high speed you can see clearly all the places it's been displayed in, improving real FPS will make the space between these locations smaller. 60 -> 120 FPS will cut the distance in half. This will increase the speed at which you can move your cursor without detecting these gaps to the double. And it will make it look smoother at all times.

Note that a higher frame rate for your monitor will only affect the game if it runs on higher FPS than your previous monitor's frame rate.