forum

Help whit purchasing a new PC

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Pawww_old
Sorry if i posted in the wrong place! I'm going to buy a new gaming laptop and i don't know what would be good, last time i bought a crappy laptop that wont even run tetris. I don't want that happening again. So what kinda spec's should a good gaming laptop have?
Here's the one i'm looking at at the moment:
Asus 15.6" G55VW-S1008H, Core i7-3610QM, 8GB, 500GB, GTX 660M 2GB, Windows 8 64-bit
Monitor:15.6" FHD Matt
Prosessor/CPU:Intel Core i7-3610QM (2.3 - 3.3 GHz)
graphics card:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M, 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
Memory:8192MB (4GB x 2) DDR3 1600MHz
Hard drive:500GB, 7200rpm SATA
Optical drive:DVD SM DL
WLAN: 802.11 b/g/n
And it has Windows 8 64-bit.
Here's the link for the PC, although its in Finnish http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/G55VW-S1008H
Edit:It's price is 999€, Forgot to post that.
Ekaru
You'd be better off using that money to build a Desktop PC that'd be superior to next-gen consoles

What games are you thinking of running, and at what settings? Knowing the screen resolution would help but the site doesn't seem to list that. Judging by the specs it's not so much an issue of "Will it run?" as it is "What settings and FPS will certain games run at?"
dNextGen
kinda too expensive

i7 is not needed if you only want to use it for gaming purposes

building a PC from the scracth might cost less and of course better performance than laptop
Topic Starter
Pawww_old

Ekaru wrote:

You'd be better off using that money to build a Desktop PC that'd be superior to next-gen consoles

What games are you thinking of running, and at what settings? Knowing the screen resolution would help but the site doesn't seem to list that. Judging by the specs it's not so much an issue of "Will it run?" as it is "What settings and FPS will certain games run at?"
I'm going to be playing games such as: Battlefield 3, New Call of dutys, Diablo 3, League of legends and osu!. As for settings i'd like to use the highest settings for most games. Fps needs to be high of course.
deadbeat

dNextGen wrote:

building a PC from the scracth might cost less and of course better performance than laptop
pretty much this, i custom built my desktop and it was a lot cheaper than buying a premade one in stores. plus if you get a desktop, you can just slowly upgrade it overtime, instead of having to buy a laptop each time you need to upgrade something ;w;
ychao
^unless portability is (one of) his main criteria, of course.
Topic Starter
Pawww_old
Problem is, it has to be an laptop due to me using it to my study's as well. So is this laptop i'm looking at good?
FazzyPlax
Well, it'll certainly run the games with a decent amount of speed on highish settings. However, you could probably find a better deal on a laptop if you look around. Plus, if you plan on gaming on the go (without plugging in), the performance dies of drastically in games. Laptops with dual graphics will typically switch to the integrated graphics when off of charger in order to conserve power. My personal suggestion would be to look for a 4th generation i7 (or i5 which provides plenty of power anyway), since they have incredible integrated graphics cards in comparison to the 3rd-gen, plus more battery life. However, if the price doesn't bother you, and you are planning on playing without the need for mobility, I can personally recommend Asus as an extraordinary manufacturer.
deadbeat

TehD wrote:

Problem is, it has to be an laptop due to me using it to my study's as well. So is this laptop i'm looking at good?
do what i do, have both \:D/
mm201
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asu ... 851.0.html
That thing is massive! Hardly what I'd call "portable." If you need those specs, get/build a desktop. Otherwise buy something lighter if you need to take it with you everyday.

Ekaru: 1920x1080
Cropzy

TehD wrote:

Sorry if i posted in the wrong place! I'm going to buy a new gaming laptop and i don't know what would be good, last time i bought a crappy laptop that wont even run tetris. I don't want that happening again. So what kinda spec's should a good gaming laptop have?
Here's the one i'm looking at at the moment:
Asus 15.6" G55VW-S1008H, Core i7-3610QM, 8GB, 500GB, GTX 660M 2GB, Windows 8 64-bit
Monitor:15.6" FHD Matt
Prosessor/CPU:Intel Core i7-3610QM (2.3 - 3.3 GHz)
graphics card:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M, 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
Memory:8192MB (4GB x 2) DDR3 1600MHz
Hard drive:500GB, 7200rpm SATA
Optical drive:DVD SM DL
WLAN: 802.11 b/g/n
And it has Windows 8 64-bit.
Here's the link for the PC, although its in Finnish http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/G55VW-S1008H
Edit:It's price is 999€, Forgot to post that.
Build a mini ITX build

It's still portable and small and way better and cheaper than a gaming laptop.

And gaming laptops suck.
FazzyPlax
What about splitting the money, buying a craptop for your academic use, and spending the rest on a decent non-portable desktop rig?
dNextGen

TehD wrote:

yes it's good

but you may want to consider about gettin one with i5 proc instead of i7

that's my only advice
Oinari-sama
The OP is probably trying to talk his parents into buying a laptop for "academic use" lol

If that's not the case, forget about dragging a "gaming laptop" around. Those things are usually overweight for real portability. You'd wish you had a netbook/xPad for uni and a desktop at home for gaming.