forum

Questionable idea for a mapping style

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
EchoInProgress
Before I picked up osu!, I used to play Beat Saber, and one thing the two games have in common is the idea of "flow." However, it felt like flow was easier to grasp in BS over osu!, and I kept wondering why. Then it hit me:
  1. For BS, the arrows make a single clean path throughout the entire song. Just link up the individual lines from the arrows, think about wrists, and the flow is seamless. Flow comes from how you move through objects.
  2. For osu!, the objects mark endpoints of lines, so flow comes from how you move to and from objects.
Then I had an idea: if I put two circles close enough to one another (space and time), I might be able to get an effect similar to BS's arrows, but in osu!. Would this idea of using two circles to create a line of movement be a valid idea, or just an uncomfortable gimmick?
WitherMite
sounds like you're describing streams, and yea, people do it all the time when there are constant 16th notes (1/4 snap), or similarly fast rhythms.

more about flow:
lewski
It's been a while since I last touched BS (and I was never really good at it lol), so I'm not quite sure what the effect you're looking for actually is, but here goes.

tl;dr: might be possible but only on certain songs and would need a lot of setup, i want to try it out if i ever stumble upon a fitting song

You can definitely emulate a flick of a wrist with two circles: if they're close together on the timeline and spaced on the playfield, the player will snap from the first circle to the second. The idea doesn't scale up at all, though. You talked about linking individual lines of movement in BS; there's a sort of "space" between the lines there. In osu!, though, you define a line of movement by its endpoints instead of the middle. That means that whenever you have two consecutive lines, there's also a line between them. The difference makes it pretty hard to replicate the feeling of BS with this two-circle method.

It's not totally doomed, though: you can sort of get around the above issue with the right rhythm. If the timeline gap between the two lines is large enough, the connecting movement between them will be lenient enough to stop being a third line.

However, rhythm is a bit of an issue as well: you have to click every circle, so it'd be easier to make this idea fit a song that provides the rhythm you need for the movement you want. Songs with that kind of rhythm all over the place are super rare, though, so that'd be a bit of an issue. Also, it would sort of kill the spirit of the idea: in BS, these lines we're making would cover single sounds.

With that in mind, I think it might be possible to pull off the idea on a song with a heavy white tick focus by overmapping a double on each white tick. The sounds should be fairly punchy, though, since these doubles would represent held-out anime vocals etc. really poorly. There should also be very little going on between the white ticks so that you don't just end up ignoring a lot of stuff.

You could also use sliders, but slider leniency would likely make the movement way too smooth to feel anything like hitting blocks with a lightsaber. One option would be to make the movement super jagged by making the player's cursor speed a lot faster within each slider compared to their cursor speed between the sliders (high SV, low spacing). Another would be to drag the player away from each slider with cross-screen spacing and sharp exit angles. Both methods would cause space usage issues really quickly, though, so they'd have to be used sparingly and thus couldn't be the main focus of the map.