forum

[Rule Change] Hit objects must never be off-screen

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Eni
With the addition of lower CS values like CS0, the current rule prevents mappers from using the entire grid in maps.

The current rule states:

Hit objects must never be off-screen in 4:3 aspect ratios. Hit objects that are even partially off-screen can create reading difficulties. Test play your beatmap to confirm this.
This prevents low CS mappers from using the bottom-most part of the grid like x:0 y:384. Example: beatmapsets/1296266#osu/2689496

However, having objects slightly off-screen does not create reading difficulties. I believe the main issue is slider bodies/tails obscured in such a way that reading them is non-trivial (I use this idea in my Chouzetsu Yokoku).

Proposal 1 (this enables mappers to use off-screen readability as a mapping technique):

Hit objects must be playable in 4:3 aspect ratios. Hit objects may be partially off-screen as a mapping technique, but should be readable relative to the current difficulty.
Proposal 2 (this prevents off-screen readability as a mapping technique but enables low CS maps to use the entire grid):

Hit objects must never be off-screen in 4:3 aspect ratios. Hit objects that are not off-screen when the circle size is 3 are exempt from this rule.
TheKingHenry
potentially needing to constantly tread on more subjective grounds of defining what is fine and what is not rather than the current simple clear-cut ruleset for this, just to achieve few more pixels in specific mapping scenarios, seems a bit unnecessary to me

also,

Project Railgun wrote:

Hit objects must never be off-screen in 4:3 aspect ratios. Hit objects that are not off-screen when the circle size is 3 are exempt from this rule.
am I just tripping or the second sentence does not add anything to it currently? Did you mean something with the idea of "Hit objects partially off-screen when using circle size of 3 or lower are exempt from this rule" here
lewski
the way i understand the second sentence there is
- you have a cs<3 map
- some objects clip the edge of the screen
- you change the cs to 3 (temporarily)
- all the objects that no longer clip the edge are fine even if they clip at the actual cs of the map

I don't think it's about the extra pixels themselves, though; even at cs0, you only lose 10px from the bottom (and the top if you account for hr). The actual issue is that at cs2 or lower, the playfield you're allowed to work with shrinks, but you have to keep track of it without any help from the editor, so mapping gets needlessly cumbersome. This change would get rid of that extra stress.

Personally, I'm not really sure whether I want this or not. I agree that slight offscreens aren't any harder to read than anything else, but they do look really sloppy and out of place in official content. That's why I'm inclined to think of the added stress as a sort of necessary evil in low cs mapping.

I kind of like the idea of offscreens as a difficulty element, though. If you put enough stuff far enough off the screen that it becomes a difficulty element, it's definitely going to look intentional enough to avoid the issue I have with partial offscreens that are just a result of the map's cs. It's also precisely the kind of thing I'd imagine I'd see in an intentionally cursed level in a game like this.
TheKingHenry

lewski wrote:

the way i understand the second sentence there is
- you have a cs<3 map
- some objects clip the edge of the screen
- you change the cs to 3 (temporarily)
- all the objects that no longer clip the edge are fine even if they clip at the actual cs of the map
ah that would make sense indeed, thanks
Purplegaze
allowing this only for the reason of CS0 mappers to be able to use the entire editor grid makes no sense imo.

if them still being readable is your reason to allow them, why should CS0 maps be allowed to have partially offscreen objects when CS4 maps can't? they're just as easy to read either way, and you can move objects further down than y=384 to create the same partially offscreen effect on cs4.

i'd be all for proposal 1 though, i'm kinda tired of sliderbodies still having to be confined to being on screen in 4:3 when 4:3 resolutions are getting increasingly phased out in monitors/laptops in general and almost everyone uses 16:9. and partially offscreen effects on the vertical end like the last circles of monstrata's aspire map are pretty cool too