forum

Question about the ranking criteria

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
iharshbrown
So I recently started mapping and am trying to go for ranked (will most likely fail since I am a new mapper but I feel it is also a good experience). I recently read the ranking criteria again for std and was a bit unsure about two things

1. In the ranking criteria, one of the guidelines for normal states, "Include a 1/1 or longer gap in rhythm for every two measures of gameplay." What does "in rhythm for every two measures of gameplay" mean exactly?

2. Is the rule where spinners cannot be longer than 7 seconds (or somewhere around there) still active? I saw it on one of pishifat's video but I cannot find it in the ranking criteria.

Thanks!
WitherMite
1. A measure is a section of music usually made of 4 beats. a 1/1 gap is a single beat, aka the distance from white tick to white tick on the timeline. so in a 4/4 time signature (most music is 4/4) 2 measures is 8 white ticks. the large white tick is the first beat of the measure, assuming the map is correctly timed, and is called the down beat.

2. I assume not, though still long spinners are boring, so probably avoid that unless it really fits.
aiq
basically, you must include a period of time without any notes (in between themselves) that is AT LEAST long enough to cover the red notation. that period of time without any notes must repeat AT LEAST once per 2 measures, which covers the blue notation

it means to not go too overboard with a lot of notes consecutively

2. nah, there's a guideline that says spinners SHOULDN'T be longer than 15 seconds because it's very straining. but it's a guideline

EDIT: WOW i got ninja'd fuck
Zelzatter Zero
1. In music theory, a measure (or bar) is a group of note, that has a length specified by the time signature. In osu, it's the area in between the two longest tick:

2. Some fragments in pishifat videos covers the really outdated part of the rules, and this may be one of them. Honestly I don't really see anyone forcing this rule anymore.
Topic Starter
iharshbrown
Omg thanks for the help!