forum

Time-based Leaderboards

posted
Total Posts

If osu! was considering an alternate leaderboard beside the current one, should it be added? If so, how should it function? (read post for descriptions)

Seasonal
11.11%
Cut-off
0.00%
Decay
22.22%
Multiple alternate leaderboards
33.33%
No
33.33%
Other (explain in replies)
0.00%
Total votes: 9
Topic Starter
EchoInProgress
A lot of what I'm about to say came from https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/1372683, if you want a source. Although some of the things said over there could spark a LOT of controversy, what I'm more interested in is the occasionally mentioned idea of an alternate, time-based leaderboard that functions alongside the main one.

I'll say this only once: These ideas ARE NOT meant to REPLACE the current leaderboard; they ARE meant to SUPPLEMENT it.

There seem to be three variations of this idea, based on what I read in there:
  1. Seasonal: Every so often (3 months, 6 months, 1 year, etc.), the alternate leaderboard will be reset. The original leaderboard will remain completely intact, exactly as it was, but the time-based one will allow other players to attempt to climb a different leaderboard, which may remotivate these players.
  2. Cut-off: When a play is ranked, it will go into both leaderboards. However, after some amount of time (1 hour, 24 hours, 7 days, etc.), that play will be removed from the time-based leaderboard. It will still remain on the all-time leaderboard regardless of the time-based one.
  3. Decay: When a play is ranked, it will go into both leaderboards, just like Cut-off. However, it will immediately begin "decaying," slowly losing its value at a linear rate. Ex: On a 24 hour Decay leaderboard, a play will have 100% of its value when it first exists, but lose 8.3% of its value per hour, and be removed from the leaderboard after all 24 hours. Think of it being like how plays have a weight system, making low value plays slowly fade out.
The idea of an alternate, time-based leaderboard to allow newer players to pursue a less congested challenge is interesting to me, and I wanted to gauge the community's thoughts about implementing such a concept.

I won't argue one system is better than another, or that we even should or should not have one. I'm only curious about what others think of this.

Thanks for reading!
abraker
dong
I think that friend, selected mod, and country (depending on your country) leaderboards are great for newer players to compete on. A non-permanent leaderboard doesn't have much worth to me. I set the score, there's no reason it should become worth less over time causing worse scores to beat it.

If I come back to a map after getting an FC it's usually with new mods, which current leaderboards already cover.

I think it'd be nice if the global ranking scrolled further so that you could see yourself and those close to you on there, when you're not in the top 50 (don't always want that though so would be an option)
Topic Starter
EchoInProgress

dong wrote:

I think that friend, selected mod, and country (depending on your country) leaderboards are great for newer players to compete on. A non-permanent leaderboard doesn't have much worth to me. I set the score, there's no reason it should become worth less over time causing worse scores to beat it.

If I come back to a map after getting an FC it's usually with new mods, which current leaderboards already cover.

I think it'd be nice if the global ranking scrolled further so that you could see yourself and those close to you on there, when you're not in the top 50 (don't always want that though so would be an option)
Very interesting ideas! Only problem is, those already exist as features for supporters, which most new players aren't. I don't see talking Peppy into making those available to everyone as an option anytime soon...

But the farther scrolling global rank is actually a very good idea! I even see myself using that if it were available!