forum

[resolved] How to move osu to different drive?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
nile sensei
I was wondering if there was an easy way to move osu! to another drive. I recently noticed that osu! was installed on my smaller drive with less storage, and I wanted to move it to my larger storage so that in the future, there would be no storage problem. Anyone have a step by step way to do it? Thanks. (i'm kinda stupid when it comes to computers, so detailed explanations would be appreciated)

osu! version: Stable 20210520.2 (latest)
Zelzatter Zero
Move your entire osu folder to another drive, that's it.
Topic Starter
nile sensei

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

Move your entire osu folder to another drive, that's it.
Is that really all it is? Have you tried it before?
Death
Yes, that's really it.

The only thing of note when doing that is any shortcuts to the game will break (like if you have one on your Desktop for example). You can recreate them pretty easily by right clicking on your osu!.exe file and hitting "Create shortcut".

Also in some cases double clicking on beatmaps and skins to import them into the game will stop working. That can be fixed by redownloading the installer from home/download and installing the game on top of itself in its new location (i.e. change the install path to the same location you moved the game to). That doesn't always seem to happen though, so no need to do that unless you start noticing issues.
Topic Starter
nile sensei

Death wrote:

Yes, that's really it.

The only thing of note when doing that is any shortcuts to the game will break (like if you have one on your Desktop for example). You can recreate them pretty easily by right clicking on your osu!.exe file and hitting "Create shortcut".

Also in some cases double clicking on beatmaps and skins to import them into the game will stop working. That can be fixed by redownloading the installer from home/download and installing the game on top of itself in its new location (i.e. change the install path to the same location you moved the game to). That doesn't always seem to happen though, so no need to do that unless you start noticing issues.
OK thanks! Just incase something does go wrong, its ok to just redownload the game even though it already installed?
Death
You can. That's what the last part of my post says to do if you happen to encounter that beatmap/skin import issue.

I can't really think of anything else that would go wrong. But if something isn't working, feel free to post here again or make a new thread and we'll help you fix it.
Topic Starter
nile sensei

Death wrote:

You can. That's what the last part of my post says to do if you happen to encounter that beatmap/skin import issue.

I can't really think of anything else that would go wrong. But if something isn't working, feel free to post here again or make a new thread and we'll help you fix it.
Sorry if this may seem like a dumb question, but how exactly do I move the folder to the other drive? I'm not exactly experienced when it comes to stuff like this.
Death
Right click on your osu! folder and select "Copy", then navigate to the location you want to move it to, right click anywhere in your file explorer and select "Paste".

Once it's done copying, run the game with the osu!.exe file inside the folder and test to make sure everything works. If it does, you can delete the original osu! folder your copied.
CEDricckk

Death wrote:

Yes, that's really it.

If i reinstall osu does it also delete my beatmaps?
- Marco -
It depends on what you're doing to reinstall it. If you use the osu! uninstaller it will delete everything including your beatmaps. If you download the osu!install.exe and drag it into your osu! folder to reinstall it it will not delete your beatmaps. Note that reinstalling osu! isn't suggested as it never solve the issue. If you still encounter issues please open a new topic
Hermes

Death wrote:

Hey,

Do you know what to do if the beatmap/skin issue occurs? I cant even change the path when I'm selecting the maps.