forum

Rate the Mapping Technique - Nominations

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
dkun
osu! over the last two years (this was when the last technique was posted) has come a very long way, and as mapping has evolved, this means there's quite a bit of new mapping techniques out there today! This forum's original intention was to rate mapping techniques (regardless of gamemode), to see how the community liked them, whether you're a player, or a mapper.

As the last nomination was 52, this is going to pick right up again at 53, dropping the proposed ones (in the last nominations) as it's been quite a bit of time and no one ever got to them.

In order to nominate a technique, you must have and post: (thanks to kingcobra for the template!)
  1. (Optional) A name for the technique (it can be an official name or one you make up)
  2. The gamemode this technique is for
  3. An accurate description of the technique (or alternatively, a screenshot of the technique)
  4. A link to atleast 2 ranked maps that have the technique. (The specific point in the map would help too)
PLEASE! Bold the name of the nomination so it is easier for us to notice!
In order to keep the forum active, we're limiting nominations -> thread to 1-2 a week.

Current Nominations:
  1. B&F Sliderbasaed Jumps - Blue Dragon
  2. Introverted Flow - Quiz-chan
Past Nominations:
  1. 53 - Slider Stream Jumps - dkun/MMzz
  2. 54 - 15° Patterns - grumd
  3. 55 - Variable Spaced Streams - fartownik | Discontinious Streams - benguin
fartownik
No idea how to name it, but these are basically longer streams with the consistent distance snap, but multiple distance spacing value changes.
osu!standard, obviously

Examples:
Silent Spica - Anhedonia [Another] by Muya

Rche - Todestrieb [Another] by Muya

D.J. Amuro - F [Another] by fartownik

O-Life Japan - Yakujinsama no Couple Dance [Lunatic] by ignorethis
Mismagius
Back-and-forth Sliderbased jumps (or probably a shorter name)
Gamemode: osu! standard
Consists of making back-and-forth jumps (or triangles) using a slider as the 'base' for the jump (dunno how to explain, really)

Renard - Why Am I So Angry [Nogard]

Nickelback - Rockstar [Collab]

Sorry for only using my maps as example, I don't know any other maps with this but it's still a pretty nice technique :(
benguin
In-stream jumps or Discontinuous Streams
-Osu! standard
-When there is a "jump" in the stream even though the timing between the notes in the jump are the same length as the timing between notes in the rest of the stream.
-https://osu.ppy.sh/s/69681 (example one)
-https://osu.ppy.sh/s/25739 (example two, not as good an example, will try to find more when I get home)

Example 1:
Example 2:
benguin
Bump since it's been 10 days or so since the start of the most recent thread and the OP states he'd like go see 1-2 a week. Also, noticed the OP is of needing an update :P I'm sure the posters here would also appreciate feedback on their nominations such as whether or not the technique is thread ready or if it needs additional or more clarifying examples, etc. Thanks! If you're in need of additional techniques, there are a lot of currently unnamed patterns I can think of to nominate (I just don't want to flood this thread all at once :D)
quiz-chan_DELETED
Something for osu!standard that I personally find would be delicious if more people used it.

Introverted Flow
... is mainly a flow that is (literally translated from Latin) "pointing towards inside". It can be seen as...
  1. ...a sharp flow dropoff from an arc to another that sometimes blankets the start of the previous one or...
  2. ...a not-so sharp dropoff making the first arc blanket the end of the second one, with or without circle between

examples

ranked maps, that use these patterns

url on pictures

I personally fell in love with this mapping technique. I'd really love to hear other opinions!
Topic Starter
dkun
updated the OP, will be taking one shortly.
thanks for the nominations, guys!

(feel free to send me a PM if I somehow forget to update this. thanks benguin!)
Charles445
Same Beat, Different Spacing

This technique is when a beat is so consistent (1/2 for 6+ notes or so) that the spacing is disregarded.

D33d

Blue Dragon wrote:

Back-and-forth Sliderbased jumps (or probably a shorter name)
Consists of making back-and-forth jumps (or triangles) using a slider as the 'base' for the jump (dunno how to explain, really)

Renard - Why Am I So Angry [Nogard]

Nickelback - Rockstar [Collab]

Sorry for only using my maps as example, I don't know any other maps with this but it's still a pretty nice technique :(
Slider-crossing jumps? Those can be slick when pulled off properly.

Inconsistent, confusing-ass jumps? Excuse me while I vomit behind the shed.

DEEDIT: I'd like to nominate overmapping, just to see what people actually think of it.
Dangaard
reposting this from the old thread (posted this 2 years ago, I suppose it was simply ignored)

After seeing the "Drain Section" I'm nominating the Recovery Section (aka new combo spam :P)

Basically it's the usage of many new combos in a certain section of the map, preferably right before the chorus or the repeat of the chorus. It works best with higher HP drain rates and is supposed to "heal" the player right before the more challenging part is starting. Also there can be more of them e.g. to recover after a hard section.

There are many maps with new combo "spam" but I don't know if the mappers had the recovery-technique in mind, so I will post 2 of my own maps where I intentionally used this:

Map #1: HTT - NO, Thank You! (TV Size)

Map #2: Rina Satou - Keikenchi Joushouchuu (TV Size)

In both examples I used the new combo section right before the chorus repeats. I think "NO, Thank YOU!" is the better example since the HP drain can be pretty harsh if you don't have a good accuracy (~95% or higher).
winber1

D33d wrote:

DEEDIT: I'd like to nominate overmapping, just to see what people actually think of it.
I'd generally consider overmapping a negative term, in that if people ever use it, it usually means that they don't like it because it is "overmapped." I don't really recall someone saying I like how this song is overmapped in this particular part. Thus, overmapping is a very opinionated statement where some people believe it to be overmapped and therefore dislike it, while others don't believe it is overmapped and therefore like it for some other reason. There needs to be a different term to replace overmapping, or we need to somehow strictly define overmapping, which is pretty much impossible because some people believe that certain parts of the music are emphasized more than the other, blah blah blah, etc.
HakuNoKaemi
Things-under-Things
  • Mode: Standard
    Description: A Technique that is used by positioning Circles/Streams start/Slider start under Streams or Sliders corpse
    Examples:
  1. Shihoko Hirata feat. Yumi Kawamura - Key Plus Words (TV Size)[Haku No Okami] by Hakunokaemi
  2. Yousei Teikoku - The Creator[Nyaten] Guest by Saten, mapset by meiikyuu
  3. Faylan - Dead END (TV Size)[Saten's Insane] Guest by Saten, mapset by Weezy
Searching for other examples! ( Propose them if you want to )
Mismagius
Isn't that unrankable?
Kurokami

Blue Dragon wrote:

Isn't that unrankable?
As I know (with my poor experience), yes.
HakuNoKaemi
I discussed for that rule, it's discouraged in easier diffs, but fine in harder
fartownik
Yes, yes it is. All the more I'm surprised I'm seeing this in some newly ranked maps.

Not to mention it plays really bad and is basically unreadable in the first play.
HakuNoKaemi
Call me strange, but I'm a noob and I can play it well onto the first play, differently from most of the techs when badly used who can't be played well even on the 10th.
EDIT:Didn't remember to add that you arleady ranked some map using it
Saten
Who came with the idea of being unrankable on harder difficulties? o_O

It's completely readable on sight-reading if done right. It's a very interesting technique imo.

Just dropped by to say that :p
Chewin
Can I post?

Consecutive and curved sliders with overlapped bodies (I really don't know how to rename it)
It consists of making a slider that starts from the previous slider's tail and curved under the previous slider's body.
This kind of pattern is just awesome.

Hatsune Miku - Unhappy Refrain [Rin] (NatsumeRin)

SPOILER
02:31:265 (1,2,3,4) - and 02:33:607 (1,2,3,4) - (I have reduced the AR)

Slider - circle jump - slider between the previous 2 elements - repeat again (is it possible to use a name for this? xD)
It consists of making a slider followed by a small circle jump and followed again by a slider placed between the firs slider and that previous circle jump.
They are fun to play with double time. The flowing is amazing.

Bomfunk MC's - Freestyler [Insane] (Lesjuh)

SPOILER
02:14:915 (2,3,1,2,1,2) - (I have reduced the AR)

or

Kajiura Yuki - Credens justitiam [Insane] (Chewin)

SPOILER
01:14:739 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - and 01:18:269 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - (I have reduced the AR)

Repetetive patterns with rotation

This is one of my favourite patterns, and the most awesome mapper to do it is NatsumeRin (yes, I love his style).
It consists to make a flowing pattern (like for example in this case 1/2 circle - circle - slider) and pasting it again with a rotation (I don't know how much)

Rohi - Kodoku Egoism [Rin](NatsumeRin)

SPOILER
00:58:475 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) (I have reduced the AR. It is confusing now, you should play it to see how awesome it is)

Or just moving the pattern some grid left (IT'S JUST AMAZING)
01:08:854 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3) -

I would mention some other techniques. I will next time.
winber1

fartownik wrote:

Yes, yes it is. All the more I'm surprised I'm seeing this in some newly ranked maps.

Not to mention it plays really bad and is basically unreadable in the first play.
It's only unreadable with hidden...

playing badly is also an opinionated statement. Works and flows really well sometimes, other times it seems useless. It's more of a special mapping technically that should be mapped to something special in the music imo. Not a huge fan of people just randomly using it though. Though if the flow work good, then I'm fine with it.
show more