forum

[Proposal - Metadata] Add (Game Ver.) markers to official cut versions of video game songs

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Muse Dash
I don't know if this was suggested before.

In short.

We already had rules about official cut version of a song in a television program as an opening/ending/insert etc.
—— forced to add (TV Size.) maker

Why we didn't have similar rule about official cut version of songs in video games. (ex: Visual Novels) Which represents as opening/ending/insert as well. [Current we only have to add (Short Ver.)/(Game Ver.) if it's in title. However, few short version song is released officially.

Conclusion

Current we have

If a song title contains short or game version markers, the markers must be standardized to (Short Ver.) and (Game Ver.) respectively.
I think it's better to add.

If an official cut version of song is used in a video game as an opening/ending/insert song, use a (Game Ver.) marker at the end of the current title. If there is an existing op version/short version/game version marker in the title, replace it with (Game Ver.).
Or something similar.
August
Those "official cut versions" are usually actually the original song, and their extended album versions are done afterwards. So I don't see why you'd use Game Ver. for the original

This goes for rhythm games, eroge are probably different, but sometimes they come with their own markers. This is something that should be left to tags, people should be able to do a quick 10 second google search to figure out if there's a full version of said song.
Topic Starter
Muse Dash
Those "official cut versions" are usually actually the original song... This goes for rhythm games.
I doubt it, can you provide some examples? The 'official cut versions' I mentioned in this post are those not released in any anywhere else (album, sound cloud etc.) They can only be found in game.

eroge are probably different.
Yea, in visual novels, they cut the song from full version and released as a opening/ending etc.

Not only visual novels, but mobile games as well. (lovelive, bandori etc.)

Also in some games, the music was cut to fit the 'background animation'.
I can provide some examples from games on steam if you think it's necessary.

people should be able to do a quick 10 second google search to figure out if there's a full version of said song.
Sorry, I don't think this is a strong argument.
People can figure out if a song is TV Size by look at the length of the map as well. Why 'TV Size' is still forced in title? It's the same case with 'Game ver.'

Really appreciate for your opinion.
August
beatmania IIDX 21 SPADA and its original soundtrack that includes a 2 minute long version Element of SPADA (this is just one example) came out in 2013

Then Naoyuki Sato released his album "follow slowly" with an extended version of the same song in 2015

As far as I know the same goes for a LOT of rhythm game music, a really popular example being beatmapsets/1371373#osu/2835408 and its original short version mapped by toybot. In this example it's the extended version that has its own marker, as the short version is simply the original, so it doesn't require any special markers.

For my last point - yes, I'm pretty much completely against markers that are not present in the original metadata. And pardon my ignorance since I never mapped any anime openings any seriously, but those do come with the (TV Size) or similar markers from the get-go?
And yeah, even (Cut Ver.) is disgusting to me, and it's just there for the lowest common denominator of a player who can't be arsed to google songs
Topic Starter
Muse Dash
Uh, I am not aware of the IIDX. If you don't provide a link, I think I can't get the example which you've provided.

However.

As far as I know the same goes for a LOT of rhythm game music, a really popular example being beatmapsets/1371373#osu/2835408 and its original short version mapped by toybot.
https://imgur.com/a/km9kQiE
The short version of 狂喜蘭舞 was already an official release. Not 'an official cut version of song'.
Again, my proposal is only about adding (Game Ver.) markers to video game featured songs which was cut/edited from original/official release.

For my last point - yes, I'm pretty much completely against markers that are not present in the original metadata. And pardon my ignorance since I never mapped any anime openings any seriously, but those do come with the (TV Size) or similar markers from the get-go?
And yeah, even (Cut Ver.) is disgusting to me, and it's just there for the lowest common denominator of a player who can't be arsed to google songs.
I am not gonna to argue whether it's good to add markers to songs or not.
Since osu! already forced (TV Size) & (Cut Ver.) I don't see a point why not adding a similar rule to game version songs. The current rc seems inconsistent and confusing to me tbh.