forum

Filename too long, can't upload [Solved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Drum-Hitnormal

Problem

Beatmap filename is too long and can't be uploaded to osu.

RC

Metadata that exceeds the field's limits (81 characters) must be shortened. Start by dropping additional markers and if this still is not sufficient, indicate that the title has been shortened using ... in a sensible place.

If the artist or title fields were shortened to fit in field limits, the omitted information must be added to the tags.

If a mapset track was contributed to by multiple artists, they may be listed with commas inbetween. If there are 3 or more contributing artists and they are not part of one officially labelled group, Various Artists or other descriptive artist labels may be used instead.

Meta

Title: 戦略的で予測不能なラブコメディのエンディング曲 (TV Size)
English Title: Senryaku Tekide Yosoku Funou na Love Comedy no Ending Kyoku (TV Size) [70 chars]
Artist: 志田黒羽(CV:水瀬いのり)、可知白草(CV:佐倉綾音)
English Artist: Shida Kuroha (CV: Minase Inori), Kachi Shirokusa (CV: Sakura Ayane) [68 chars]
Meta: https://osamake.com/music.html

Discussion

Point 1: should this title be shorten? it doesn't exceed the 81 chars stated in RC.
Point 2: should artist be shorten? it is only 2 so Various Artists shouldn't apply.
Point 3: isn't it better to change file naming convention or increase the limit on filename?

Solution

Personally I believe a code change is better to solve this problem rather than shorten the title. related git issue: https://github.com/ppy/osu-stable-issues/issues/780

Solution 1: Increase filename limit

Solution 2: Shorten file naming convention
Before: Artist - Title (Mapper) [Difficulty Name].osu
After: Mapper [Difficulty Name].osu
SaltyLucario
skip anime characters in artist field and use only the actual singers - see beatmapsets/888363/discussion/-/generalAll#/671201 (bit old case but should still apply since these rules didnt change)
Topic Starter
Drum-Hitnormal

SaltyLucario wrote:

skip anime characters in artist field and use only the actual singers - see beatmapsets/888363/discussion/-/generalAll#/671201 (bit old case but should still apply since these rules didnt change)
The example you have given contains 3 singers (which should actually become Various Artists instead). The error with that example is because the artist field is too long.
The error for my problem is the combination of my name + title + artist is too long.

Your solution is to make it possible to upload, but not rankeable, because RC states 81 characters for artist or title to be shorten.
SaltyLucario
wait i just realized it wont be enough sorry i was half asleep when writing that
i guess you dont really have a choice but to shorten title
by deletingg some stuff and putting ... in its place liie rc tells you to

thats osu for ya ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Topic Starter
Drum-Hitnormal
well i got this reply from peppy: "This is a limitation imposed to keep the game working on windows, which has a maximum filename length. We cannot easily change this length as it would break usage of the beatmap on certain PCs or installs.

We wouldn't consider changing this (length or format) until lazer is live and stable is deprecated. Please fine a way around this until then, for instance, by shortening or abbreviating. I'm sure beatmap nominators will help you with this.

I understand this is probably not the answer you hoped for, but it's a very rare case and engineering a fix would take days to weeks."

so I guess shorten the artist is the only way to go without having a title that doesn't make sense.

I think keeping anime character name is better than CV name, because the song is by the characters.
lewski
no you're supposed to drop the characters so that the actual people singing the song are credited

source: rc
Topic Starter
Drum-Hitnormal

lewski wrote:

no you're supposed to drop the characters so that the actual people singing the song are credited

source: rc
ah i found the RC, you right.

Thanks all for help.
Case closed