forum

Waterflame - Carrots

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Natureshadow
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Sunday, July 28, 2013 at 6:42:00 PM

Artist: Waterflame
Title: Carrots
Tags: Carrots Waterflame Natureshadow Upbeat Non-lyrical Fun Happy
BPM: 155
Filesize: 4955kb
Play Time: 01:51
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (0.61 stars, 80 notes)
  2. Hard (4.53 stars, 308 notes)
  3. Normal (2.55 stars, 147 notes)
  4. Xiiphers Insane (5 stars, 100 notes)
Download: Waterflame - Carrots
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
~Song~
Upbeat, semi-quick paced
Video from the original youtube song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYoRIjXZ_jQ)
By Waterflame, a solo artist who makes tons of instrumental music (some of which has been used in videogames such as Age of War and Castle Crashers!)
--- SCROLL DOWN ---
~Afterthoughts~
This was an extremely fun project.
I hope everyone who plays it enjoys it. :D
---------------
~ Special Thanks! ~
Agka for helping me with song setup.
Tracreed for dowloading the background video and adding it to the song.
LustfulSpark, TheToastGhost, 13Kenzy, KanadeBakura (Now -Kana-), Tracreed, and Maeglwn for testing my song repeatedly and helping me look for errors.
Maeglwn for helping me recover deleting files.... heh... heh....
Maeglwn
okay hai

• renamed to easy, pretty much

general snapping. there's a few places where it stands out more than others, but since it's an easy it's not a MASSIVE deal. mostly in like 00:24:165 - slider is too close to last for time span etc stuff like that. like I said, it's an easy so not as big of a deal as other diffs

you could probably lengthen a few of the combos, there's places where combos only are 1 a piece or 2 a piece in the second half of the song.

second half could also use more sliders in place of a bunch of the singles that were there.
Easy
  • rename to normal

once again, general snapping. it's more prominent in this one mostly because of the more notes stuff ex: 00:17:972 -

01:02:101 - this section here is weird to play because of the last notes on each one are slightly timed off from the rest, it's intentional but snapping wise it looks like 1/4 singles when it really is 1/4 3 times and then one notes out there, lol. either change snapping on those last notes so it's more obvious or make it all 1/4. there's also stacking issues here, since it's a normal so most people probably won't be able to read the notes behind them, so you might want to move them slightly away from each other so it's clear that they're different.

there's a few other parts after this where there's singles stack on each other. not as much of a big deal as before but you still might want to move them slightly off to the side. snapping will also fix this issue

you could probably change CS to 3 too
Normal
  • rename to hard

snappings a bigger deal on this one, especially since it's closer to a hard than a normal. ex: 01:02:101 - same deal here as last diff

01:11:101 - this slider seems really iffy cause it doesn't really lead into the other singles that well especially on a 1/2 basis

combos can be extended for the entire map pretty much to 4-7 depending on how you feel about it.

you could also make it slightly harder. it's in that weird section between a normal and hard as it is

out of all of the difficulties this is my least favorite and probably the one that doesn't need to be kept out of the ones you said you wanted to get rid of, imo. it just doesn't really have a place in my eyes, but it can be worked with
Hard
  • general spacing. it's probably the biggest issue in this difficulty as the spacing says insane but the map says hard

combos once again. in the intro, at 00:01:714 - one combos and then at 00:28:036 - too long of a combo. these are in different places all over the map so just needs a little adjustment in certain places.

00:40:424 - sliders seem so much different than the rest of this section.

01:02:101 - aside from spacing issues this was actually one of my favorite parts of the song because it just sounds and feels fun to play. this part should be a decent basis for the rest of the map hitsound and map wise for a hard in general.

AR up to 7-8
    HP up to 5
    OD up to 6-7
Insane
  • redo, it's the hard, lol. talked about it in PM with you
Pro
  • There's only a few things wrong with this one.

the biggest one by far is the spacing, because since this map is basically all singletaps so if it's all over the place and you can't single tap right because the spacing isn't perfect then people won't like it.

combos are a bit long in certain places and then really long in others. ex: 00:28:036 - really really long combo

could benefit from more short sliders in certain places aside from singles everywhere, makes the map more fun to play

CS could go to 4 again, but that's just my opinion, some people prefer CS 5
wee thats my mod that took a while
Topic Starter
Natureshadow
Ok :D I've made tons of changes to this beatmap, so you should probably re-upload it if you have an old version of it.
Also, I'm working on getting this modded fully to fix any problems that may be present and will inform everyone when the beatmap is ranked! :3
Thanks to any and all that helped up until now and to those who will help me in the future.

I think there may be a few things wrong with my placement of notes due to its inconsistency, but I don't know if that is a problem or not.
Topic Starter
Natureshadow
For anyone interested, in regards to my last post I have been working on placement of notes to make it flow more flawlessly. I have done so on both the easy and normal difficulty and am now going to start doing so on the hard difficulty. This shouldn't take too long, and will probably be done by the end of today or beginning of tomorrow.
Topic Starter
Natureshadow
Ok. I have updated the placement of notes for all difficulties. This should make it flow easier, but if you notice any problems please tell me and I will fix it to the best of my ability.
Kyx
Hi!
Modding Like I said!
Remember, I'm not an experienced Modder so don't expect big stuff ^.^

[General]
Your mp3 and video last longer than your Playtime which is against the Ranking Criteria
I took the time to do the cutting for you: http://puu.sh/3L9wU.mp3
Also your video had sound which increased the size,I took the time to re encoded it for you:http://puu.sh/3L9Uc.avi

(Just an Opinion) Your background seems Irrelevant to the Video, try finding a better background that would fit the map.

[Easy]
• 00:21:068 (2) - Move this note out of the slider.
• 00:37:326 - Add a Slider here that ends at - 00:38:294
• 00:38:681 (2) - Move this Slider a bit to the right so it doesn't overlap with - 00:38:294 (1)
• 01:02:100 - All the notes from here to here - 01:13:906 - Remove the overlapping, might be confusing to new players to find the next note.
• 01:26:100 (3) - Move out of Slider
• 01:35:390 (2) - ^
• 01:47:777 (2) - ^
• 01:50:874 (4) - Add a Clap?
• 00:40:423 (1,2) - (Just an Opinion) These could look better, try changing the way they look a bit.

[Normal]
Please use Distance Snap on this Difficulty

• 00:16:810 (3) - Move this note more to the left to match it with - 00:17:971 (4)
• 00:17:584 - Add a note here?
• 00:18:745 (1) - Move note to ("x:256 ~ Y:192")
• 00:21:842 (1,2) - Unstack these sliders
• 00:31:132 - Add a slider here that ends here? - 00:31:906
• 00:34:229 - ^
• 00:37:713 - ^ to - 00:38:294
• 00:39:068 - Add Reverse Arrow here and add a slider from here? - 00:39:648 - to - 00:40:035
• 00:43:906 - Add Reversible slider that ends here - 00:44:294 - ?
• 00:47:003 - ^ to - 00:47:390
• 01:02:100 - From here to - 01:14:003 - Move every 4th combo note to a white tick
• 01:19:906 (5) - Remove NC
• 01:29:197 (5) - ^ and - 01:32:294 (5) - So on~

Remember, this isn't Easy. Leaving gaps like these are necessary since you are trying to increase the difficulty by a bit, not keep it at Easy.

[Hard]
• 00:00:165 - To - 00:10:229 - I recommend you change it up a bit, it gets a bit boring doing the same thing. Add a reverse arrow or 2 somewhere in there or change a slider with notes.
• 00:39:261 - 00:39:455 - Add notes here?
• 01:02:100 - to - 01:14:294 - Add a bit more spacing between each note.

It looks like this is the only difficulty you mapped fully. I'm guessing you are not done with the map or just ignored it.
You should remove the extra notes in this difficulty and just maintain the shorter version, Unless you want to map out
the other Difficulties too. Up to you.

____
Well, that was something. I didn't have much to say about the Hard difficulty but all I could say is add more notes in red ticks. When I was playing
it, it felt like a normal difficulty except for the spacing.

Hope I helped.
Feel free to ask me any question in game or Via PM
I'm online most of the time.
Yuukari-Banteki
[Easy]
00:02:487 (2) - clap sound is way too loud, either find a custom hitsound or lower the volume
00:05:584 (4) - ^
00:08:681 (2) - ^
00:08:681 (2,2) - this overlap is horribly messy, change the slider so that it is either completely clear of green 2 or ends exactly on top of it
00:10:035 (2) - changing the rhythm like this is going to throw off the new player. If you are going to introduce a different timelapse between notes, use a slider for the timelapse not one of the endpoints.
00:12:552 (1) - this pattern has been used to death now. Find a different pattern.
00:14:874 (2) - again with the claps
00:17:971 (4) - ^
00:21:068 (2) - this note is hidden. Move it completely out from underneath the slider.
00:21:842 (3) - in an Easy level map, the start of a slider should always be closer to the previous note than the end of the slider to avoid slider-end confusion, which is highly prevalent among Easy and even some Normal level players
00:25:713 (1) - claps again. You know the drill. Fix all of them from here on out.
00:38:294 (1) - soultion for the timelapse problem here - make this a slider that starts on the white tick and ends where it is currently placed.
00:40:423 (1,2) - make these perpendicular pls
00:48:939 (4) - a loop this small is going to confuse new players - make a different shape
00:52:423 - kiai time during break is generally a no-no. Either map the rest of the kiai or stop it where the break starts
01:03:648 (1) - this would flow a lot better if you placed it directly underneath the previous note rather than directly to the right of it
01:05:197 (1) - fix the loop in this and make it so that with the exception of the starting hitcircle it does not overlap with the previous slider
01:08:294 (1) - ^ for overlap
01:09:842 (1) - ^ and loop
01:11:390 (1) - ^
01:12:939 (1) - ^ just the bit at the end where it curls back around
01:14:487 (1) - move this farther away to indicate that it does not continue the 1/2 between notes pattern
01:24:358 (2) - as with 00:08:681
01:26:100 (3,1) - fix the overlap
01:35:390 (2,3) - as with 00:21:068 (2,3)
01:41:584 (1,2) - ok this is tortuously boring by now. too much copy pasta in this place
a little creativity goes a long way but try to make sure that your map is still readable by people who are still getting used to the idea that sliders make balls that move

[Normal]
00:04:423 (3,4) - fix the curve of 4 so that it blankets the following 1 and then use that to derive 3
a little note here - the difference between your spacing and your slider velocity is a bit startling, and you should consider increasing the spacing throughout the map (yes i know this is a ton of work)
00:16:423 (2,3) - blankets are pretty. Use them.
00:16:810 (3,4) - if you have a pair of these, use copy+paste+flip to ensure that they both have the same curvature. It looks better AND helps the player recognize a pattern to follow
00:23:390 (3) - might want to line this up directly underneath the end of 1 to look more natural
ok this is a Normal, you are allowed to do things other than 1 note every beat. Try throwing in a triple of hitcircles. Maybe 2 pairs that catch either side of your clap pattern. Something interesting.
00:40:423 (1,2,3,4) - dont change spacing mid-pattern. Either 2 is too close to 1,3 or 4 is too far away from 3.
00:52:810 - same kiai/break problem as Easy
01:02:874 (3,4) - the first two times you do this pattern you should probably use a slider to indicate the change of time lapse as with Easy. Also making a square that isn't quite a square is driving my OCD up the wall.
01:05:197 (1,2,3,4) - no seriously try to avoid such linear patterns they look really bad if its all equilateral except one note.
01:08:681 (2,3,4) - YES LIKE THIS EXACTLY THIS IS WONDERFUL (relatively). Just make sure it makes a perfect triangle ~.~
01:16:035 (3) - the placement of this note looks bad due to a combination of overlap, not flowing out of anything, and the difference in spacing and slider velocity
01:16:810 (4,2) - ugly overlap
01:19:132 (4) - see this one actually flows
01:22:229 (4) - unlike this one
01:25:326 (3) - overlap
01:42:358 (2,3) - ^

[Hard]
ok. this is going to sound harsh but.
I know you can map more than one pattern. Please do so. Playing the exact same 1.5 second clip repeated over and over in various positions for 30 seconds is not satisfying, it is boring as shit and makes me want to stab your map with a rusty fishhook.
Also the claps are still awful just fyi
And replacing them with overly loud softwhistles doesnt help either
This is Hard. You are allowed and in fact encouraged to use ticks that are not white ticks.
01:03:068 (4,5) - see this, this is beautiful compared to the rest of the map. Now if you could just make the spacing less clusterfucky I would be so happy!
01:12:939 (1,2,3,4) - huuuuuuuurgh clusterfuck
01:33:068 (2) - any particular reason this slider is shaped asymmetrically?
01:33:842 (3) -^
01:45:068 (1,2) - perpendicular pls
01:54:745 (2,3) - at this point just fuck spacing and stack the endpoints
02:38:100 (2,3,4) - this just looks weird
:) please try to add a bit more variety to your map...please.....
Topic Starter
Natureshadow
In response to my two previous mods from Kyx and Saturos-fangirl:
I've decided to go back and remake all of these difficulties.
I feel like I've learned a lot from when I made these maps, and I feel like they really do need to be remade.
It will take time, but it can be done. Thank you for all of the wonderful mods. I will definitely need these when making my new difficulties.
To be honest, these mods gave me a whole new viewpoint on mapping, and that will stick with me fore some time.
I'll save the old difficulties for now if anyways wants them (LOL), but other than that I don't think I'll need them.
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.