forum

How to make intentional offbeats feel good to ply

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
BakaaTako
So, as you could probably assume from me posting in this form, I am making a beatmap. I'm working with a song that utilizes offbeats and delays in the melody. In my beatmapping process, I've been following the melody more closely than the beat, perhaps it's just me, but it makes more sense to me that way. This has led me to a bit of a problem, though. After testing the map in online lobbies and countless times on my own, it has come to my attention that it is a bit jarring to play. I'm not too surprised, as I've been following the melody which goes offbeat, but I'm unsure of how I should fix it. I've experimented with different timings for hit circles to be more on beat, but it just sounds jarring to me when I hear it played back. However, with the original placements, it sounds better, but feels jarring to play, I'd assume moreso if it's the first time hearing the song. Is there any way I can get the timing for offbeats to not feel weird to play, or just get around having to solve the problem in the first place? Thanks in advance!

For context, here is the song, and here is an uploaded wip of the beatmap.

(it is also a possibility that I am just a moron and I failed at the intentional offbeats and made those sound more off than they should have, if that is the case I apologize)
lewski
The rhythm of the song is pretty simple, actually. Your problems stem from the fact that the map isn't timed correctly; it's impossible to actually get the notes on the sounds like this, and trying to tap according to the song while playing the map only leads to ruin. Try using 163.5 BPM and 106 offset instead, and set your beat snap divisor to 1/4 or 1/2 in the top right corner of the editor. That should make things easier.
Topic Starter
BakaaTako
Welcome to another episode of me being a moron who overcomplicates things. Thank you, and I am so sorry for the inconvenience.

lewski wrote:

The rhythm of the song is pretty simple, actually. Your problems stem from the fact that the map isn't timed correctly; it's impossible to actually get the notes on the sounds like this, and trying to tap according to the song while playing the map only leads to ruin. Try using 163.5 BPM and 106 offset instead, and set your beat snap divisor to 1/4 or 1/2 in the top right corner of the editor. That should make things easier.