forum

How about consistency in 4k mania?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Fawcro
Hello! I have a little problem with consistency (especially harder diff). Some say consistency is not mandatory, and some say it must be consistent. Sometimes I struggle to maintain consistency in a beatmap, especially in LN beatmap.
Example: I use triple for cymbal sound, and there's a cymbal sound in end of double LN or triple LN, it's hard to still use triple for cymbal sound.

So, what do you think?
Evening
consistency is important as a concept.
however, note density consistency cannot be perfectly achievable, it should adapt to the song and it's context

forcing consistency on a map can sometimes make the map worse

I would put playability of the map first before accuracy of the map to the song
Topic Starter
Fawcro

Evening wrote:

consistency is important as a concept.
however, note density consistency cannot be perfectly achievable, it should adapt to the song and it's context

forcing consistency on a map can sometimes make the map worse

I would put playability of the map first before accuracy of the map to the song
I agree, when I enforce consistency in the beatmap, it makes the beatmap overrated and not enjoyable (except if it 5*-6* diff). But I'm trying to maintain consistency for the important sounds (like kick, drum, clap, cymbal, snare, hihat).
epic man 2
In Mania, there are a lot of mapping techniques that can be used to maintain consistency in charts such as layering and emphasis. What I think is helpful is if you try to figure out how certain sounds should be represented in the map such as kicks using 1 note and snares using 2 notes for the specific sounds (This isn’t the case all the time as the two sounds can have differentiating volumes in the song for whatever reason) — if you place a certain amount of notes for one sound to complement the strength of it and for it to feel appropriate to play, then your map should be better in some qualities. Layering is something that can really help with representing the instruments in a song consistently, so that you can keep things like vocals and drums mapped at the same time without breaking randomly (There are times where consistency in what sounds are being charted are broken, which isn't a good thing in most scenarios).

Hope this helps you out in ways.