forum

How was Osu! developed with C#?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Katsuniya
So I get that Osu! was made with C# and I've examined the code for Osu! laser and all, but was it first created with Windows Forms or it was all made from scratch?

Lemme try and explain myself well. So with C#, you can hard code the design and everything, and there is also windows forms, where you use premade designs, drag and drop these designs and code the functions of these designs.

So my question is, was this what was used or everything about Osu! is hard coded? I tried finding the post that discusses this but I couldn't find one.

Hope someone can help. Thx in advance for any replies.

P.S: I'm creating a game for my class project and wanna know some tiny details before I dwell deeper.
ITWolf
Think, this thread will be more appropriate in Development sub-forum
abraker
moved to Development subforum.

Windows Forms is one among many libraries that can be used for graphical applications. For making games, windows forms is far from ideal actually. It's platform dependent and has limitations preventing achieving the graphical flexibility required in games.

osu! was made using OpenTk, which is basically OpenGL for C#. The devs are currently working on a game engine called osu!framework that allows to create games in C#. You can find more info about it here: https://github.com/ppy/osu-framework
Topic Starter
Katsuniya

abraker wrote:

moved to Development subforum.

Windows Forms is one among many libraries that can be used for graphical applications. For making games, windows forms is far from ideal actually. It's platform dependent and has limitations preventing achieving the graphical flexibility required in games.

osu! was made using OpenTk, which is basically OpenGL for C#. The devs are currently working on a game engine called osu!framework that allows to create games in C#. You can find more info about it here: https://github.com/ppy/osu-framework
Thank you very much! Already knew about the framework but didn't know it was an engine. Thanks once again!