forum

[Proposal] Video Games genre for songs that are only video game songs

posted
Total Posts
11
Topic Starter
Finadoggie
So I saw a new player in an osu! discord who was looking for some non-anime songs, and I was like "hey, why not go to the video game category or something" but when he went there, there was still a lot of anime and songs that you wouldn't really listen to and just think they are video game sonsg.

I think it'd be fair to say that when most people (especially new players) are looking for a video game song, they are looking for a specific type of song, not just songs that happen to be from a game. I propose that instead of having the video games genre be for any songs from video games, it should instead be specifically for songs from games that couldn't fall into any other category.

ie: A song like the recently ranked Mori no Kinoko ni Goyoujin would go into the video game category since that is the only place where it makes sense, while a song like Jump Up, Super Star! would be put in jazz instead since, despite coming from a video game, it is predominately a jazz song and would fit better into the jazz category.
abraker

Finadoggie wrote:

So I saw a new player in an osu! discord who was looking for some non-anime songs, and I was like "hey, why not go to the video game category or something" but when he went there, there was still a lot of anime and songs that you wouldn't really listen to and just think they are video game sonsg.
A lot of the stuff that looks like from anime falls under video games because they are from VNs, which are considered video games.

Finadoggie wrote:

ie: A song like the recently ranked Mori no Kinoko ni Goyoujin would go into the video game category since that is the only place where it makes sense, while a song like Jump Up, Super Star! would be put in jazz instead since, despite coming from a video game, it is predominately a jazz song and would fit better into the jazz category.
I don't think that's how it works. Songs should fall under categories people best know song for. "Jump Up, Super Star!" is from Super Mario Odyssey, and people will recognize it as a song from a video game.

What you really want is better filters and/or search tools to find the maps you want to find.
SaltyLucario
isn't it already planned to delete video game as genre (as well as anime) and move them to seperate category called 'source' or something
moondoogy
ehh i disagree w this one honestly

personally speaking, i don't like using the anime and video game tags, but if it's from a video game, then it's from a video game. anime osts aren't what people consider to be "anime songs" either, but they're still from an anime, so why bother with it
Topic Starter
Finadoggie

abraker wrote:

What you really want is better filters and/or search tools to find the maps you want to find.
well, yeah, that's why I'm proposing this, I want it to be easier for people to find the songs they want to find. The example I gave was a theoretical on how I think it should work.
abraker

Finadoggie wrote:

abraker wrote:

What you really want is better filters and/or search tools to find the maps you want to find.
well, yeah, that's why I'm proposing this, I want it to be easier for people to find the songs they want to find. The example I gave was a theoretical on how I think it should work.
My point is that you need better tools to be implemented into the website. Doing this through Ranking Criteria is not a proper way to add those filters. Currently it's categorized as a thing that falls into one of these categories:


Adding the ability to distinguish type of source and type of music would be a good first start. So that you can choose what type of source it falls under and type of music. I made a request for this just now: https://github.com/ppy/osu-web/issues/7579 There was a related one open already: https://github.com/ppy/osu-web/issues/5852
Topic Starter
Finadoggie
aight, thanks
clayton
worth noting that genre/language are currently not handled by RC at all. the only page that even suggests how to set them is Genre and language § List of genres, but this is just a wiki page and doesn't define precedence where they overlap.

at the time of writing that article, "Video Game" and "Anime" were almost unanimously precedent over other applicable genres in Ranked maps. since then, I recall some BNs decided to start avoiding them if other genres apply, because they didn't view those two to be actual genres of music. I haven't been following this situation so maybe that was already addressed by discussion

here's my opinion I said on similar threads: continue using the most prevelant precedence standards, i.e. "Video Game" and "Anime" before everything else, until this whole genres shebang can be cleaned up with a more robust metadata system such as within the discussion abraker linked. everyone knows this genre/language stuff is lacking, so I think we should prefer consistency to make it easier for future metadata-setters to migrate to a new system.

either way, and regardless of if BNs addressed this internally: it should be in RC for clarity.
nikochurro
you can search whatever game you want /neut
TrilluxGD
Well, the video games category is something difficult to define, because many musical genres found in video games are already found with other filters, one idea is to use the video games category as a place to place aspire maps, or with themes of videogames (an example can be this map: beatmapsets/1237212#fruits/2571609)(and this function can be used more often in osu!lazer, when creating different ways to play with it free code (this information is not clear to me, just because of hearsay that it can be done...)), separating the music, since it can be found in other genres (vague idea, but that's what I can think of, I don't know if it's a good idea..., but it's an idea.)
Greaper
Don't think a change would be needed as games such as JRPG's also fall under this flag. As said by abraker already, if your want better tooling to search for beatmaps then the Ranking Criteria forum is probably not the correct spot as there is already an open github issue for this.

Will move this to finalized/denied proposals.
Please sign in to reply.

New reply