forum

Do people like shorter mapping?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
KOR Nico x Maki
Hello, very first time making a map but I was wanting to ask if people likes shorter maps.

I was wondering that because the song is slightly repetitive and has two highlight moments that are identical, but wanted to see if I should finish the song after the first highlight, or just go full 5 minutes of playing.

Thanks, I would like your opinions! :D
Zelzatter Zero
people like short songs because they're easier to map. In terms of ranking tho unofficial cut will be frowned upon but don't focus too much about that for now.

I wouldn't recommend 5-min song for beginners, however, as they're too long for new mappers to handle the concept and it results in inconsistency in rhythms and/or patterns. Adding to that, in terms of remapping (delete everything and mapping from scratch again), these kind of songs will be the most daunting one. So a short one is a best way to familiarize than just go straight to long one.
abraker

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

people like short songs because they're easier to map.
I think that question is being toward players not mappers.

At least in mania, I like my maps between 3 and 7 minutes
Caput Mortuum
I guess so? Shorter maps are less tiring and give similar amount of reward compared to longer maps. The standard length for most rhythm games is around 2 minutes.
Topic Starter
KOR Nico x Maki
Right, but I wanted to ask for normal Osu mode. I suppose that matters on the song I guess?
TheKingHenry

KOR Nico x Maki wrote:

Right, but I wanted to ask for normal Osu mode. I suppose that matters on the song I guess?
well yeah song matters a lot generally

additionally, people of course have varying tastes in general, but overall players tend to favor shorter maps over longer

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

people like short songs because they're easier to map
Yes and no; being easier to map is more so tied to what kind of song it is, rather than length. Shorter songs will on the other hand of course be faster to map than longer songs (at least longer similar songs). Whether or not you'd count that as "easier" for the mapping part is another take then

In any case, if you're just starting out as a mapper there's no need to worry too much over any of that, just focus on improving as a mapper. For that though, typically it is recommended to map shorter tracks, or at least extremely long ones, as it's practically given that your first efforts at mapping won't fly much further, and will stay as learning experiences
Dialect

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

people like short songs because they're easier to map. In terms of ranking tho unofficial cut will be frowned upon but don't focus too much about that for now.
i think in my experience, my preferred length of mapping changed. i used to be into tv size mapping, then switched to cut ver mapping, and now, i prefer mapping full ver (i probably will map let me be with you full size once i rank the tv size set)
Asphiee
shorter song def faster to map obv...my case in full version y i dont do much, or rather cant, becoz i subconciously tend to set the hurdle too high that i myself find vry difficult to achieve.

its a counterproductive mindset
sisig
I think most people here are misunderstanding the question which (I think) is probably directed towards players instead of mappers. (Basically what abraker said)

Honestly, unless a song has multiple interesting sections that you, as a player, would want to play along with, it's not desirable to play a repetitive 5 minute song.

Some might argue that TV Size or Game Versions of songs work best for the kind of game osu! is (Cut Ver. is rarely done right, sometimes coming off as just lazy or too optimized towards play farming).

tl;dr
For most casual players, yes.
DeletedUser_5153421
Fawcro

Caput Mortuum wrote:

The standard length for most rhythm games is around 2 minutes.
I agree with it, it's recommended for new mappers. And lots of songs that are around 2 minutes long are suitable for rhythm games. Except if you like TV Size songs (below 2 minutes).
2 minutes... neither too short nor too long.
villy163
If the repetitive part escalates the second time around, then I suggest mapping it, for example, Tsukinami is really good even though it is repetitive. If not , then I suggest just cutting it off there.
Adinda
i like full ver but i map/play short ver as well sometimes