forum

[proposal - mania + taiko] allow differing of uninherited timing points between difficulties

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SilentWuffer
Currently, in the ranking criteria for all modes, there is this rule (meant to be followed under all circumstances)

1. Uninherited timing points must be the same in every difficulty of a beatmapset. Each point must have the same BPM and offset in each difficulty.
While this is completely sensible and understandable, I would like to change this to a guideline instead.
In mania and taiko, red lines can be used to create barlines, which when paired with slider velocity changes can create easily readable and rankable difficulties. The "Uninherited timing points must be used to accurately beatmap the song's time signatures" rule prevents usage of these in ways that create barlines in ways that are unintuitive and land on unemphasized beats.

However, extra barlines can be confusing to new players, so if this method was used in a full set, then new players would have difficulty reading the map correctly, therefore causing this gimmick to be only usable on hard+ sets.

My proposal is to change this rule to a guideline and phrase it in this way:

1. Uninherited timing points should be the same in every difficulty of a beatmapset. Each point must have the same BPM and offset in each difficulty.
as well as adding the following rule and guideline to mania and taiko specifically:

1. Easy-Normal/Kantan-Futsuu
    1. Extra Uninherited timing points must not be used to create barlines. Unnecessary barlines can confuse beginners on when to hit notes.
  2. Hard+/Muzukashii+
    1. Extra uninherited timing points used to create barlines must be a whole number multiple of the base bpm. Non whole number multiples will cause barlines to generate non-periodically.
    2. Extra uninherited timing points must be snapped to a map without unnecessary timing points. This is to prevent rounding errors from causing the map to go offsync.
I would even go as far as to say that fracture ray could be rankable if it normalized all of its svs, but that's more an opinion thing and I wouldn't push that far for now.

The only large problem I see in the way of making this change is the nightcore mod and its addition of the pulsing beat. Extra uninherited lines used to create barlines can cause this to pulse unreasonably fast, and the only remedy to this that I can think of is to remove the pulse (which is entirely on the dev side).
FAMoss
Topic Starter
SilentWuffer
will post reasoning there then
abraker
moving to Finalized/Denied
Topic Starter
SilentWuffer
I would like to request for this to be reopened as after looking through the thread moving the points of this one there would be complicated considering our reasoning is completely different. While it is possible for both to be discussed on the same thread, I feel like it would be better to have this running in its own thread to prevent confusion within discussion. If you think it's best, I'm willing to wait until the other proposal has been finalized to return to this specific point.