forum

Allow different uninherited timing points for different difficulties of a mapset

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Akito
Current rule is: "Uninherited timing points must be the same in every difficulty of a beatmapset. Each point must have the same BPM and offset in each difficulty."

some songs use different snapping/timing for different instruments. e.g. on my map beatmapsets/1220456#osu/2538808 at 02:20:221 - the piano and drums have completely different rhythms. the regular beat snap divisor isn't enough to allow notes to be snapped to both the piano and drums, so different timing is required depending on the instrument thats being followed.

forcing all the difficulties to use the same uninherited points means all difficulties have to follow the same layer, which can be annoying for gders who might want to do something different from the set host. it would also help for lower diffs where complex rhythms aren't ideal for obvious reasons.
abraker
So you suggest moving that to guideline instead of rule?
Topic Starter
Akito
yeah that would work, or just removing the rule completely might also be fine since correct timing is enforced by rules anyway
iljaaz
good idea
Acylica
ya
FuJu
I agree
Kudosu
good one
lewski
would also help with spots in low diffs where a repeat slider makes the most sense but timing makes it impossible

also consider both sides' arguments in this thread of the exact same thing from 4 months ago
Topic Starter
Akito
most of the replies revolve around the argument that the only reason to make the rule change is for lower diffs. doesn't look like the other reason i brought up was discussed and it's something that's been annoying me for my own map cuz my gder doesnt wanna map the same thing as me.

anyway i dont really see a good reason for the rule to exist in the first place so yea
Gibune
agree
clayton

Akito wrote:

forcing all the difficulties to use the same uninherited points means all difficulties have to follow the same layer, which can be annoying for gders who might want to do something different from the set host
agree and I think the rule should be rewritten to allow different timing, but:

Akito wrote:

it would also help for lower diffs where complex rhythms aren't ideal for obvious reasons
this is what we don't want to allow different timing points for (see other thread).

so I don't think removing or converting this into a guideline is the right move. it should be rewritten to allow different timing only when difficulties are mapping completely different rhythms where neither is a simplification of the other.
Topic Starter
Akito
yeah agree, what you suggested is probably a better change
DeletedUser_5153421
yeah snapping slider ends to different times (like with notepad) on lower diffs also irks me because it's technically an incorrectly timed slider (like if you were to make it 1/16th longer it would be a 1/16th slider... when you intended it to be a 1/1 slider). it would help if you could add a timing point there so snapping manually wouldn't be necessary either.
pw384
Bump

clayton wrote:

so I don't think removing or converting this into a guideline is the right move. it should be rewritten to allow different timing only when difficulties are mapping completely different rhythms where neither is a simplification of the other.
Agree with this, and so in case of complicated timing, this change will allow
  1. different choices for instrument between diffs,
  2. reasonable slider snapping for low diffs dealing with two major issues:
    1. Slider won't snap if the repeat crosses red lines, and
    2. Unsnapped slider tick due to BPM change. Sometimes this causes an extra slider tick at the very end of a slider, leading to unfair sliderbreak in low diffs.
There have been (and would be, if unchanged) many maps suffering from the issues above, so I agree with the piece of rule being reworded.
Mizunashi Akari
biggest problem with how osu works currently with timing is reverse sliders being literally impossible to snap correctly over a red line - this is the biggest reason i think most people see this change be helpful.

but I disagree that this should be fixed through just deleting that red line, because that just means you're snapping it not to the music because the very purpose of the red line was to correct timing.

The only way to fix this issue would be to rework reverse sliders entirely with something like changing the sv of the reverse slider only on the way back which would require a redo of how reverse sliders work.

Correctly timing sounds should not be compromised even if its a slider hence slider leniency or whatever. All objects should land as accurately as possible on whatever sound they're trying to follow in the music.

Knowingly disregarding an accurate timing reset via a red line in order to map a reverse that doesn't land on the sounds doesn't sit right with me.
Topic Starter
Akito
wanna make it clear that i never intended this to be an excuse for simplified timing on lower diffs anyway. more to accommodate for different rhythm choices between diffs following different instruments.

for the reverse slider thing that sounds kinda minor and just using an alternative rhythm usually works almost just as well
[[[[[[
+1
Okoratu
moved back to active discussion - this thread was inactive, but not concluded

personally agree that there's fringe cases where that could be beneficial to do
Kibbleru
Maybe just add an exceptions part to the rule, since it seems like there are really rare cases where this would be useful. Most of the time, it should still be followed though.
SilentWuffer
made a duplicate of this thread entirely by accident but I have a completely different reasoning for why this should be changed to guideline

RyanTheWolf wrote:

Currently, in the ranking criteria for all modes, there is this rule (meant to be followed under all circumstances)

Uninherited timing points must be the same in every difficulty of a beatmapset. Each point must have the same BPM and offset in each difficulty.

While this is completely sensible and understandable, I would like to change this to a guideline instead.
In mania and taiko, red lines can be used to create barlines, which when paired with slider velocity changes can create easily readable and rankable difficulties. The "Uninherited timing points must be used to accurately beatmap the song's time signatures" rule prevents usage of these in ways that create barlines in ways that are unintuitive and land on unemphasized beats.

However, extra barlines can be confusing to new players, so if this method was used in a full set, then new players would have difficulty reading the map correctly, therefore causing this gimmick to be only usable on hard+ sets.

My proposal is to change this rule to a guideline and phrase it in this way:

Uninherited timing points should be the same in every difficulty of a beatmapset. Each point must have the same BPM and offset in each difficulty.

as well as adding the following rule and guideline to mania and taiko specifically:

Easy-Normal/Kantan-Futsuu
Extra Uninherited timing points must not be used to create barlines. Unnecessary barlines can confuse beginners on when to hit notes.
Hard+/Muzukashii+
Extra uninherited timing points used to create barlines must be a whole number multiple of the base bpm. Non whole number multiples will cause barlines to generate non-periodically.
Extra uninherited timing points must be snapped to a map without unnecessary timing points. This is to prevent rounding errors from causing the map to go offsync.

I would even go as far as to say that fracture ray could be rankable if it normalized all of its svs, but that's more an opinion thing and I wouldn't push that far for now.

The only large problem I see in the way of making this change is the nightcore mod and its addition of the pulsing beat. Extra uninherited lines used to create barlines can cause this to pulse unreasonably fast, and the only remedy to this that I can think of is to remove the pulse (which is entirely on the dev side).
show more