forum

How to make good osu!mania gameplay

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TheKnightRhythm
Hello guys. I'm a beginner mapper. Recently I published my first ever osu!mania beatmap! And I'm wondering, how to make good osu!mania gameplay. Can you guys give me advice of how to improve my map and make good gameplay? Also, to help me even further, please play my map and tell me what I could improve. Thank you!

Some questions that I have about mapping are, but not limited to:
How to make good patterns?
What kinds of patterns are considered awkward?
Is there anything to avoid doing?
How to handle polyrhythms? Specially 4:3, which is present in the Expert difficulty of my map.
How much detail of a song can I map? When is it considered too much?
How to make easier difficulties without making the map too boring?
How to make harder difficulties without making them unfair or frustrating?
abraker

TheKnightRhythm wrote:

How to make good patterns?
This is subjective because what one player might consider good patterns, another may not. Ultimately you should form an opinion of what's good and not just by playing a bunch of maps.

TheKnightRhythm wrote:

What kinds of patterns are considered awkward?
I'd rather give you a map that is the definition of awkward and you study it from there. beatmapsets/386097#mania/843126

TheKnightRhythm wrote:

Is there anything to avoid doing?
PP inflating patterns like jumptrills (a bunch of [12][23][12][23]), or other fill column repeating variants.

TheKnightRhythm wrote:

How to handle polyrhythms? Specially 4:3, which is present in the Expert difficulty of my map.
What do you mean by handle? I'd just map whatever interpretation of the sound I hear fits best.

TheKnightRhythm wrote:

How much detail of a song can I map? When is it considered too much?
See my Teo set: beatmapsets/1328445#mania/2751876
IN is prob much, and EX is definitely too much. There is a point where adding anymore becomes a pointless exercise to see how much you can pack into it without ruining the flow. You can feel it's really overdoing it in the EX diff

TheKnightRhythm wrote:

How to make easier difficulties without making the map too boring?
I actually tried to make an easier diff that's somewhat interesting beatmapsets/985644#mania/2062085
Basically make use of LN to create complex tapping rhythms on specific columns, occasional burst, and single notes complementing holds. Whatever you do don't increase average speed or density beyond a certain hard limit. Notice I don't even use trills during drum rolls because they would increase the speed. I relied on long jack difficulty alone during the last drum roll.

TheKnightRhythm wrote:

How to make harder difficulties without making them unfair or frustrating?
Don't abuse tight spacings. Don't do akward patterns. Reduce opportunities given for the player to rest (by this I mean moments allowing the player to lift hand from keyboard).
Topic Starter
TheKnightRhythm
Hello, abraker. Thank you for answering! I will follow your advices and improve my map.

abraker wrote:

What do you mean by handle?
First of all, to make it clear, polyrhythms are the usage of two or more different rhythms, in such way that the notes of the rhythms have different lengths, but the musical phrases have the same length. For a more detailed explanation, these two videos explain it better: POLYRHYTHMS vs POLYMETERS and Songs that use Polyrhythms & Polymeters. In the song that I used in my map, Ice - Floor of Lava, starting at measure 74 where we have a 4:3 polyrhythm. The piano melody is playing 3 notes each beat, while there are 4 pulses of the percussion each beat. And I mapped both rhythms. Each downbeat has a 2-note chord, and there are single notes for the third and fourth sixteenth notes. And there are single notes for each piano note. So you are playing sixteenth notes at the same time as triplets. But I mixed both rhythms in all columns. Is that ok to do? Is it better to separate the rhythms in different columns? Or is it better not to do polyrhythms at all? This polyrhythm made the expert diffficulty a lot more tough.
abraker

TheKnightRhythm wrote:

Each downbeat has a 2-note chord, and there are single notes for the third and fourth sixteenth notes. And there are single notes for each piano note. So you are playing sixteenth notes at the same time as triplets. But I mixed both rhythms in all columns. Is that ok to do? Is it better to separate the rhythms in different columns? Or is it better not to do polyrhythms at all? This polyrhythm made the expert diffficulty a lot more tough.
It's hard for me to say whether the pattern you have is fine just by description. A screenshot will help. Link to map will help even more because I can then play test it and have a feel for the pattern.
Topic Starter
TheKnightRhythm
Here is a screenshot of what the pattern looks like:

This is beat snap 1/4.
You can see that there are notes that are snapped in the white, red and blue lines, and notes that are not snapped in any line. These notes are snapped to the purple lines in beat snap 1/3. So it's a 4:3 polyrhythm.
In the first message, where I said "osu!mania beatmap" and "my map" are both links to my map. You can play it here: beatmapsets/1425010#mania/2934464
Also, thank you for helping me.
abraker
I left a mod on beatmap discussions, but you need to learn what patterns are hard and which ones are not. Obviously you are mapping outside your skill level on the Expert diff, so you don't have a good understanding of how difficulty differs from pattern to pattern. The polyrhythmic notes you are concerned with are prob the least of the problematic things with the map. The dense jacks/trills are more of an issue. The difference between 1/2 jack, 1/3 jack and 1/4 jack can span entire star ratings. The difficulty is very sensitive under tighter note spacings. If you don't have a feel for it the result will be very bad.
Topic Starter
TheKnightRhythm
What you said is true. Expert is outside of my skill level. The hardest difficulty I can play is Insane. I didn't think mapping outside your skill level is such big deal, since there are players that can play that difficulty and give you proper feedback. Anyway, I will start improving the map. Thank you for all the help and advice! My goal is to get the map either ranked, or loved.
WitherMite
Dont try and rank your first map, your time is better spent making more maps rather than trying to fix your first map enough to be rankable.
abraker

TheKnightRhythm wrote:

I didn't think mapping outside your skill level is such big deal, since there are players that can play that difficulty and give you proper feedback.
It's not a big deal when the mapper knows what they are doing. If the patterns are blatantly bad, it gives a bad impression and a sense that the map might be beyond repair (maybe require so many mods it becomes the community's map instead of yours in particular).