forum

New to Mapping, any tips?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Oscatt
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/1424793#osu/2934109
As title says I started messing around with beatmapping and I finally completed one, any tips on improving or how to get more people to play my map and eventually get it ranked?
aiq
DON'T TRY TO PUSH YOUR FIRST MAPS TO RANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that being said, if you want to learn how to improve, you need to learn what you are doing wrong. you can do this by getting feedback directly from people, watching videos / reading wikis and guides, or by simply messing around in the editor.

the first one generally involves modding, which you can get by posting your maps to Modding Queues, by requesting through the #mapping channel in-game or, to some degree, even reaching out to some people in dms.

the second one involves learning by comprehending. there are a lot of useful documents and videos regarding mapping in general that you can use to your advantage, but i feel like the best way to understand the basics of the basics first through this way is to watch some of pishifat's videos, mostly:
these
the editor
timing
basic rhythm
1 3 2 4
basic spacing

some of the others, such as aesthetics, irregular rhythm, spacing emphysis and hitsounds shouldn't be dealt with this early. it's better that you get the hang of it yourself a bit

the last one, is, in my opinion, the best way to learn how to map. messing around with the editor, seeing what each option does, experimenting what works and what doesn't. this is the best one because, this way, there will be no one telling you what to do and not to do. you will be mapping according to your own ideologies, and that's in my opinion the best way to start mapping.

i'd also like to mention the mentorship program that's opening in two weeks or so. read this post to learn how it works. it is, essentially, a different way of learning how to map so i think it deserves its own category.

that's it basically, if you really wish to improve, go for it. good luck on your mapping journey. and remember,

✨map more✨

Sountren
Try to copy others Mapper style I guess?
Zelzatter Zero

Sountren wrote:

that would be too ambiguous as new mappers wouldn't know what to choose. My advice would be trying to replicate the map you like by your own way, that way you can see what is good and what isn't.
Arccanist

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

Sountren wrote:

that would be too ambiguous as new mappers wouldn't know what to choose. My advice would be trying to replicate the map you like by your own way, that way you can see what is good and what isn't.
agree, even thou it's hard for a new mapper to say "I hope my map be rank", even mine got many played by other players still direct to graveyard. I am sure you will get there Oscatt, just devote yourself in mapping
PaRaDogi
From my experience looking at tons of new mappers maps the best thing to do are these things:

1. Learn by being simple then work you way up:
Mapping simple songs with low star rates (anime tv size songs from 170-190 bpm + mapping a insane diffculty 4-5*)

2. The more you map the more conftable and understanding:
Dont map 1 map every month, try to creat a bunch of maps on diffrent song that are like
said on step 1 "anime tv size
170-190bpm......" you learn basics like that fast and get used to the editor.

3. Dont push you maps for ranked this early:
Dont do whole sets just map one diffculty let sm1 see trough it sm1 who is experienced
mapper who can give you suggestions and ideas, finishing whole sets as a new mapper is
time consuming and multi tasking isnt something a new mapper should learn now. (do 1
diffc, ask for advice on it, go to the next song)

4. Dont give up:
Most new mappers give up and stop mapping or start mapping random 7* maps out of boredom,
its a trap and dont fall for it you are not ready yet get more experience and if you feel
conftable or find succes in you improvment you can aim for higher star rates.

5. Get inspiration:
A mapper that helped me early days is Monstrata, i looked at his maps and got inspired,
how does he structure, how does he use rythm, when does he use jumps etc.... It doesnt
have to be him for you but you can look at many ranked mappers and see what they do with
songs how they map it and get inspiration and knowlege out of it.

Good luck :3