forum

Converting Etterna noteskin to osu!mania (no programs)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ICanNotDoSlider
Preface
This guide is mostly meant for converting x game's skin to osu!mania, not exclusively Etterna. I believe a converter of some sort has been made already. Etterna is simply an example for this. I will be using the Cel skin from Etterna noteskin repository. I am by no means a 'skinner', I simply messed around. But I think this might be useful.

Anyways, let's do it!

Prerequisites
  1. Any image manipulation tool - GIMP
  2. Microsoft Powertoys - (not necessary, but makes it easier to scale and rename images) - Download
Preparing the elements
Before we start, I'm gonna tell you what items we're gonna need:
  1. Down Receptor (receptor/hitposition)
  2. Down Tap Note (notes)
  3. Down Hold Body and Down Hold BottomCap (long notes/holds)
and optional:
  1. Down Tap/Hold Explosion (noteD)

How to
Resize the notes and receptor
Now, you can't just copy the files, add a skin.ini and call it a day. The files are different compared to osu!. Let's get the notes ready.

Make a new image with 64*64 image resolution.

Because osu! doesn't support snap coloring, pick one (or more, if you want to) color and save your changes.

For the receptor, use 100*214 (twice of the recommended size as per the osu! wiki)

I don't know what this is called, but pick one (or more).

This one is a little bit different, because it's smaller than the other files. Simply make a 100*214 image resolution again, but scale the image to the size of the receptor. Of course, it will be uglier.

Now, for the holdcap, assuming you're using upscroll, do this:

For downscroll, simply reverse the image.

You can keep holdbody as is- finally!

Rename and duplicate the files (for arrows note users)
*The images were taken before the previous step, 1x1 resolution makes for more readability. (nope, i just messed it up but yeah.)

Rename the files to the following:

Now, duplicate the files I marked:

What about other note shape users?
You don't need to duplicate, just rename. For note just use 'note', receptor as 'receptor', etc. You guys have it easier. If you're planning to use the skin.ini below, edit the skin.ini and replace the 'left', 'up', etc.

skin.ini
You are done! Just add a skin.ini of your choice. If some elements don't work as intended you unfortunately have to edit the files again. If you are following the tutorial with the exact steps, this one should work.

To turn off lightningL/N, simply make a blank file and call it 'blank'.

Modifying
Hitposition
Edit the receptor image, which was previously 100*214 to a higher height. For example, changing it to 100*856 (four times the previous height) positions it to the bottom of the screen.

Note size with fitting receptor size
osu!mania doesn't have note size as a feature, but a bonus of columnWidth. columnWidth, like its name show, changes its width to a different value, completely ignoring height. You have to manually scale your receptor.

To change your note size, just edit your skin.ini columnWidth to a higher value. Now, if you changed it to 84, you must edit the receptor to 120*876 (+20px the size of earlier).
[LS]PositoniX
thank you for this, there's tons of nice looking skins on etterna which are yet to be converted. since there isnt a program to automatically convert skins from game to game many people are intimidated by having to do everything manually, so thanks for this tutorial :)
Lights
the only (glaring) flaw with this is that conversions for most skins will be very lossy- any form of lua scripting will be lost entirely, quantized coloring isn't a thing, and things such as receptor size scaling, hit position, and lighting effects in a lot of cases aren't going to be easily converted / look right (without a bit of extra work that wasnt mentioned above).

the best you'll end up with in a lot of cases is a 'lite' version of the skin
[LS]PositoniX

Lights wrote:

the only (glaring) flaw with this is that conversions for most skins will be very lossy- any form of lua scripting will be lost entirely, quantized coloring isn't a thing, and things such as receptor size scaling, hit position, and lighting effects in a lot of cases aren't going to be easily converted / look right (without a bit of extra work that wasnt mentioned above).

the best you'll end up with in a lot of cases is a 'lite' version of the skin
etterna allows for lua scripting and osu does not, so there's really not much you could really do regarding that. hitpos and receptor sizes are not really that difficult to fine tune; if you could follow the directions here than it shouldnt be that difficult to change your hitpos
Topic Starter
ICanNotDoSlider
Hey! I updated the post to guide modifying the receptor position and receptor size scaling. Hope this helped fix some issues.

Edit: I will add images later.
Lights

ICanNotDoSlider wrote:

Hey! I updated the post to guide modifying the receptor position and receptor size scaling. Hope this helped fix some issues.
Very nice
marshmello0095
отлично