forum

Hidden - Visible first circle [duplicate]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Kathovamid
More beatmaps have sudden start. Often pepole have problem to hit circle properly. I suggest that the first circle was visible, because it will help them get a feel the rhythm.
jemhuntr
duplicate. denied.
TheVileOne
Duplicate t/76298
benguin
If it's a duplicate of a invalid thread, I don't think it should be marked duplicate. Because that would suggest people to go post in the invalid thread instead, a contradiction...
boat
Look at the timer.
benguin
These "workarounds" are not solutions, how is a new user supposed to know that the timer is a good indicator of when to hit the first hit circle? Just because its a feature that YOU don't need, it might be helpful for others. I'm honestly sick of this community at this point, people seem to only think about themselves.
boat
But it is a solution and most people I know use it. Your logic is broken because everything requires practice and learning. If they don't know then it's up to them to learn rather than changing the mechanics of the mod.

It's insanely self explanatory anyways. Anybody with brains will figure it out once they get to actually using a mod. If they don't then that's their own fault, nobody is obliged to change anything for their sake.
benguin
Plus, not everyone is good at reading the timer (myself included). Why should someone be forced to "practice and learn" some unintuitive trick that has nothing to do with premise of the game?

The OP posed a problem, and provided a solution. You also provided a solution but is your solution the best possible and most intuitive solution? Imho, not quite, its more of a workaround. We don't necessarily agree with the OP's solution but we should at least acknowledge the problem. Perhaps a more intuitive solution is a metronome ticking for one measure before the first note.

Also, if this gets implemented, would it hurt anyone? No. I'm sure a lot of people, even people that CAN read the timer well would prefer something like a metronome beat for reference, it just makes so much more sense. Its not like adding such a feature is going to give anyone an unfair advantage over the game.
Tshemmp
It would destroy the conecpt of this mod.
boat

benguin wrote:

Plus, not everyone is good at reading the timer (myself included). Why should someone be forced to "practice and learn" some unintuitive trick that has nothing to do with premise of the game?
But it does have everything to do with the game? Why is it there? What functionality does it bring?

You're right, it's not a solution because this isn't really a problem to begin with. The game allows for ways to be able to read the first circle, and this is just you sillywillies apparently not being able to learn them.

In fact, you're already bringing forward more reason to not change it. If not everybody can do it then it's a "skill" you have to attain and build up, and should as such be rewarded.

benguin wrote:

Also, if this gets implemented, would it hurt anyone? No. I'm sure a lot of people, even people that CAN read the timer well would prefer something like a metronome beat for reference, it just makes so much more sense. Its not like adding such a feature is going to give anyone an unfair advantage over the game.
It would benefit everyone, but more greatly the lazy ones who don't make use of what's available right in front of them, which makes actually being good at reading this part of hidden a useless skill. This is obviously a part of the mechanics, if you can't play it then that's fine, but no reason to make things easier.
benguin
Let me ask you this then, why did they introduce banana time in catch the beat?
boat
How would I know, I don't play CTB? I don't even know what you're on about.
DakeDekaane
Hurrr, it's too hard hit the first circle, make it easier to play, hurrr.

Really, I don't want to be mean, but HD is meant to increase difficulty, even a little help like this is unfair. With enough practice, you don't even need to look at the timer or another stuff.

benguin wrote:

Let me ask you this then, why did they introduce banana time in catch the beat?
It's really a different matter, spinners' fruits weren't different from normal fruits, making this mode quite unplayable for objects 1/2 beat after a spinner and somehow scaring away the people from CtB.
benguin
In CtB spinners are turned into this "fruit frenzy" thing where fruits fall all over the place and they are like bonus points (nearly 100% of spinners are virtually impossible to get every fruit.

Before the implementation of banana time, spinner fruit looked exactly like their regular note counterparts. Regular notes are required for you to catch if you want to keep your combo. The only visual appearance between a spinner fruit and a regular one is that the spinner fruits were slightly smaller than the regular notes.

This brings the following issue:
It makes it very difficult to hit a regular note if it's entrapped between two spinners (in standard, this would be a spinner, immediately followed by a hit circle immediately followed by a spinner again.) Why? Because the difference in size of spinner and regular notes isn't substantial enough to be able to "find" the regular note because the spininers with the regular note in between looks just like one really long spinner.

It could be argued that being able to tell subtle size differences is a skill. One suggestion was to make spinner fruits an entire different sprite/image entirely instead get rid of this game of "hide and seek" with regular notes trapped between spinners. This was a heated argument amongst CtB players since the players that could tell the subtle size differences would have the "lrn2play better n00b" mindset. However, peppy DID change it though, specifically, he changed it to bananas (in the default skin), thus making it easy to tell the difference between spinner fruit and regular fruit. Why? Because even though being able to tell subtle size differences is a skill, it is a trivial skill in the context of the premise of the game and the mode itself. Catch the Beat is about moving to catch the fruit, not about being able to tell subtle size differences (if you want to do that, play a game that tests your vision or go see your eye doctor and have them examine you).

Also, just because it's a skill doesn't mean you should be rewarded for it. If I can play osu while hopping on one foot do I get a score increase multiplier? No. If I can tap my keys with chopsticks do I get a score multiplier? No. If I can play osu while writing erotic fanfiction that contains the osu "characters" do I get a score multiplier? No.
boat
Incredibly stupidly comparison because this is not actually a visual error, it's something that requires you to follow rhythm, which is the core of the mechanics.

If the rhythm isn't audible you got the timer to tell you what it is. In fact, all of your arguments are incredibly silly, half of which don't even apply to what this game is actually about. Playing the game whilst juggling chainsaws indeed wont grant you a higher multiplier, but being able to read offset and bpm is something to be rewarded for.
benguin

boat wrote:

If the rhythm isn't audible you got the timer to tell you what it is.
How can you possibly have rhythm without sound? Being able to use the timer as an indicator to hit the first hit circle when there is no music before hand is not a rhythmic skill

EDIT: If anything, following a metronome beat would be a STRONGER INDICATOR OF RHYTHM as opposed to following a filling circle, which is a visual skill.
boat

boat wrote:

but being able to read offset and bpm is something to be rewarded for
It is, actually, at least by osu! standards. You're required to read the offset.

Oh well, I'm done arguing with you, point is that you're asking for something that isn't really that hard to learn to be even easier, and that through completely unreasonable arguments for. The solution to it has always been there, and I see zero reason to not reward those who are able to make use of the tools provided. If you can't use it then you only got yourself to blame for being right out dumb.
DakeDekaane
HD is more about sightreading, hitting a fading circle, rhythm skill is additional. I'm done here.
benguin
Why do you people pride yourselves so much in having the ability to hit the first hit circle in a map on hidden? I bet all your mothers' are so proud of you.

EDIT: What I'm saying it seems like implementing this feature would undermine your useless skill and make you sad about not being rewarded for said useless skill.
boat
lmao dat butthurt

Why do you struggle so much with something so easy? It's not rocket science~
benguin

boat wrote:

lmao dat butthurt

Why do you struggle so much with something so easy? It's not rocket science~
I have bad visual judgement when it comes to reading the timer. I believe osu should be testing one's rhythmic judgement.
ampzz

DakeDekaane wrote:

HD is more about sightreading, hitting a fading circle, rhythm skill is additional. I'm done here.
That's really incorrect as osu! is a rhythm game.

You're required to have a stronger rhythm skill to get the timing (assuming the offset for the song itself is correct) for when you're supposed to hit the mapped beat; reading itself only comes in as a side benefit.

You can play any AR so long as you correctly hit the beat on time you'll be fine; the only thing which really changes your chances at getting the 300s and gekis is the Overall Difficulty, as this shrinks the time frame you're allowed to hit the beat within a certain margin.

To beguin; you dear sir, are an idiot. Nothing else needs to be said from what boat has already. Like everything else, practice makes perfect; you either get decent at the mod or you don't play it at all as nobody is forcing you to play with it.

If you can't read the timer, don't bother trying to judge from it thenr, use your sound and time your hit to the beat itself, it's honestly not that hard to do...

That's why it's called a mod.
benguin

ampzz wrote:

DakeDekaane wrote:

\use your sound and time your hit to the beat itself, it's honestly not that hard to do...

That's why it's called a mod.
What sound?
benguin
Also, nice ad hominem attack, really classy. This entire community reeks of immaturity, selfishness, lack of empathy, and disrespect. I honestly don't know why I bother posting in this forum.

Anyways, I'm over this already, you idiots can look retarded staring at your stupid pie charts, I'm outta here.
Compa
i suppot!!!!111one!!!
But yeah, I support this. I really hate it when the beatmap starts before the music starts or after long breaks and the music stops (Especially instrumentals)

I didn't see it's a duplicate :< don't mind me
deadbeat