forum

has osu! taught you more about music than actual school?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
atlasAi
personally my music curriculum is trash
osu! taught me lots about music theory and just more about how rhythm in a song functions (which is weirdly enough why when i listen to something rhythmically dense, osu! mapping patterns come to mind. idk if this is something that other people would experience)

keep in mind this is middle school "music" so it's quite different i realize

how has osu! broadened your musical taste and how has it given you insight on a lot of things related to the creation of songs?
TheKingHenry

atlasAi wrote:

has osu! taught you more about music than actual school?
no

atlasAi wrote:

how has osu! broadened your musical taste and how has it given you insight on a lot of things related to the creation of songs?
nothing of note really

I don't think osu! teaching people more music than actual school would be that much of a thing - unless, in your words, their "music curriculum is trash". Then again I guess it could also depend on how deep you jump here; you can learn a bunch about music on your own for the sake osu! at the very least, and perhaps some takeaways from it too

The other question, however, is something I see people regularly talk about, how osu! has broadened their musical horizons. Just not something that has really happened to me personally
ZevenIAX
Honestly, because of osu!, I got a better glimpse of music measures and beats lmao
Winnyace
not really. I'm not a mapper however.

osu! gave me a boost when I first started when it came to my musical taste, but now it's not even making a tent. it made me more open towards music, but that's about it.
Asphiee
Hmmm... I actually has a gist about time signature and our music curriculum, just like THK said, is trash. I can't speak for everyone but I didn't really learn much about music in school... Well part of it because I'm "compulsive" sleeper (not an urge but more like I sleep 3/4 of the class hour everyday against my will)

I haven't really discovered much about any new genres or did my music taste broaden since I actually have listened from classical (only few) to metal before coming to osu.
Zelzatter Zero
I'm not sure about player's perspectives, but for mapper's, I'd admit that... it didn't.

For me, what you mainly learn in school (at least in my country) is the technical side, while osu is more of the practical side. If you find the music theory confusing, try to apply to the game (that's literally how I can fully comprehend the #/8, #/16 and higher signature when most of what I have been taught failed to enlighten me). Simply saying the game taught you more may sounds true at first, but when you think about it, most of it are because our mind couldn't comprehend it, not because we haven't known.
Asphiee

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

I'm not sure about player's perspectives, but for mapper's, I'd admit that... it didn't.

For me, what you mainly learn in school (at least in my country) is the technical side, while osu is more of the practical side. If you find the music theory confusing, try to apply to the game (that's literally how I can fully comprehend the #/8, #/16 and higher signature when most of what I have been taught failed to enlighten me). Simply saying the game taught you more may sounds true at first, but when you think about it, most of it are because our mind couldn't comprehend it, not because we haven't known.
THK and Zero pretty much said evrything
animeslayergp
no,but if i had known about the game when i was the 6 grade,and playing osu takio than probably
keremaru
If osu! taught me anything, it's probably how to subdivide in my head properly. Otherwise, no.
Just wait until high school, and you'll start seeing things that osu! can never teach you. Middle school music isn't really that hard, so they don't feel the need to willingly teach you about stuff that you probably don't care about.
dong
I'm surprised that everyone else in this thread seems to have had a much better music curriculum at school than me! I don't think I learned any technical details about music, how to read sheet music, or definitions of words like "measure", "scale", "tempo" etc. I learned some of these things on my own after watching Youtube videos that were basically "intro to music", and a little bit from osu!.

It was a long time ago that I was at school doing music, but in the short amount of time that I did it, we tended to analyze the usage of certain songs, instruments, etc.. The music curriculum at my school was tied to dance and drama, with the focus more on the latter two. I dropped music/dance/drama (we called it performing arts) after about 2 years anyway. Either way I really didn't even learn the basics in that time, so for me, osu! taught me a lot!
LimeTwist
To be honest I've definitely learned much more just from osu! when I was learning how to map. The only time I've had music classes was like through 3rd - 5th grade
redleader20056
Not a mapper, so no
Sugar_owo
Gota good see when ever I map something of a certain song bpm, or the beat and on timing shit but thats when mapping, not musicing.
Achromalia
hah, probably!

the benefits tend to range mostly from discovering that music to begin with, having more things to listen to and work with, then analyzing it for its musical concepts if i'm invested enough in it.

it's personally pretty significant, since i'm a musician myself, so... it helps, yeah.

there wasn't even a real opportunity for that in my experience. as a result, i have no classical music theory education of any sort, everything's just done by ear and creative intuition.
CatzerTM
Personally it hasn't. however i had contributed greatly to my appreciation of different genres of music (musical taste you may say). as far as music theory goes it has contributed very little if any which isn't too surprising for me even from a mapping perspective. at best it may have improve my ear training to some extent but that's as far as it goes for me. a lot of the theory stuff i've likely already knew
Zyko__old
Middle school music isn't really that hard, so they don't feel the need to willingly teach you about stuff that you probably don't care about.
zesteas
I now know what a measure is :)
ClevelandsMyBro
i learned nothing about music in school. i mean yea you could say playing a song with a certain instrument is in my curriculum, but not the detail stuff like time signatures or anything related to that. while osu didnt really tought me much, it did tought me more than my school lol.

unrelated but it also made me discover songs that i possibly will never discover if it weren't for this game.