forum

[Mania - Proposal] Re-Definition of "Stream"

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Feerum
Hello everyone!

While being able to mod more recently i encountered one little problem with the current definition of stream.
Right now the definition says:

"Constant notes with the same interval for at least one beat that do not repeat to create a minijack."

I feel we should change that into

"Constant notes with the same interval for more than one beat that do not repeat to create a minijack.

Let me explain why this change would make sense: Right now, according to the definition, a stream would be 5 notes (Let's assume i talk about 1/4 rhythm right now)
Furthermore we allow already up to 5 1/4 notes in the Normal difficulty (with a chord either at the begin or end)
Now for a proper difficult progression i think that pattern like these here should be allowed in a hard difficulty as long it is kind of isolated and not overused:

But under the current definition this would definitely break the guideline as this is one beat long (which classify it as stream) and has chords in 1/2 and not 1/1 as the guideline says.

I feel this definition change could give a bit more freedom for proper difficulty progression between Normal -> Hard -> Insane and a bit more mapping freedom in hard difficulties.

Let me hear your opinions about it!
PokeSky
Constant notes with the same interval for more than one beat, so could i understand as it would be 6 or more 1/4 to break the current "chord within stream rc" ?

so is that mean chord will be allowed at the begin AND end in normal?

and something like this will be ok in Hard as well? feel it will has more overrated map, even they dont abuse jumptrill

by ur intention, i think u might like to allow this kind of pattern as well, but it will still break rc

how about change the Hard RC to this instead

"Chords within 1/4 streams should be at least 1/1 beat apart from each other. However, at the last 1 beat of stream could be allowed 1/2 (or 1/4?) apart from each other"

it could give more variation to long stream as well
-mint-
not sure how much this would really change; effectively it's just a one note difference. if you're looking for more freedom for proper difficulty progression, a lot of definitions need to be revamped along with clarifications for nuances within terms like "streams", "jacks", etc.
i.e. would a distinction in the RC to define streams as being more rolly versus more trilly help with this at all? if you're looking for more clarity in regards to defining what should be allowed in a certain difficulty as it pertains to streams, i think providing that and reworking RC around this would be very useful.

but if you want to be incremental about this you can look at the screenshot in isolation and just do something like this -
Chords within 1/4 streams should be at least 1/1 beat apart from each other. More dense usage of chords is too difficult for players of this skill level. --> Chords within 1/4 streams that are less than 1/1 beat apart from each other should be used sparingly (i.e. before a naturally implemented pause), and should be at least 1/2 beat apart from each other.
(and the pause would be in reference to the guideline: "Long streams of 1/4 notes should include, at minimum, a 1/2 pause where natural to implement after every musical phrase. These can be too physically demanding for players of this level." this would be a good example as for where 1/2 chord spacing could potentially be appropriate for the difficulty.)

at least, i think for the screenshot youre showing in particular this would be a more effective change.
Noffy
Archiving due to low thread activity. If you feel this conversation should come back - well, uhh, feerum, feel free to move it back to the main rc forum.