forum

not sure about mapping when it is the performers at fault for timing errors on a song

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
awesomebox
so im mapping the 1995 soad demo for the song pluck, but the problem is at around 2 minutes and 55 seconds with the staccato guitar part transitioning into one of the verses where the drums enter early during the transition but the verse is on time with the cymbal crash. the problem i have is the disconnect between the drummer and the guitarist; where following the guitarist before and after the transition doesn't feel right, and following the drummer as soon as he enters also doesn't feel right. as i am not quite sure what to do, i would like to know some other opinions on mapping out of time sections not as a result of bad timing but as a result of the error of the musician.
TheKingHenry
Typically, in your timing, you will want to follow the layer that provides the clearest cues for the player, most of the time the drummer. Of course if drummer is drunk as fuck and some other layers aren't you may have better options though.

Additionally, whenever possible, try to simplify the timing a bit, makes it easier for gameplay. So if the error is not big (too noticeable for the player), perhaps just ignore it and keep with the same tempo. From your description I doubt it's that small though

Finally, after doing whatever wacky timing was necessary, remember to take it into consideration in your mapping as well. Map the weirdo timing stuff more leniently if possible, so it's easier for the player to hit them naturally
Topic Starter
awesomebox
Thanks you for the advice, i will do some experimenting with it (maybe change a couple of the circles to sliders to act as a pickup for the strange timing, or simplify it and follow just the descending quarter notes on the guitar)