forum

Good Beginner Songs to Map?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
pandabear123
I'm looking to get involved with mapping some songs. I think like lots of new people I'm partially motivated by the lack of more Western music in osu! (specifically for me, classical music), but I have been warned that that's a terrible place to start mapping as an absolute beginner (pishifat) due to the difficulty of timing performed pieces. I do want to get to the level where I can do that eventually (I am totally willing to grind out complicated timing maps), but I need somewhere to start. Aside form the compendium of guides up there in the pinned section, how do I find easy songs to map and develop my skills?

Thanks all in advance <3
THAT_otaku
Try find some songs you already like (that arent classical lol) that are like 160-200 bpm and 1/4 or 1/3(or 1/8 or 1/6). Anything will work that isnt too complicated to time. You could also check out the Featured Artist page for officially licensed songs to map that are already timed for you:3
TheKingHenry

THAT_otaku wrote:

Try find some songs you already like (that arent classical lol) that are like 160-200 bpm and 1/4 or 1/3(or 1/8 or 1/6). Anything will work that isnt too complicated to time. You could also check out the Featured Artist page for officially licensed songs to map that are already timed for you:3
I'd like to add here though, that while using FA templates is nice to start with mapping, I'd recommend picking something where you'd do the timing yourself. Doing it yourself will improve your timing skills over time, and I'd assume you wanna get proficient at that if you want to eventually map classical music
Topic Starter
pandabear123
Hi, so I don't really have diverse music tastes and all of the music I like are stuff that tends to be recorded by humans so timing is >.< I don't really care if I like the song or not, but where can I just find songs to time that are suitable for beginners?
Asphiee
Well, if you don't mind anime songs or the standard J-rock then it would be good to start with those.

With those type of songs, your primary focus are only vocals, drum, guitar and other background instruments / sound should be just secondary.
Zelzatter Zero
typical anime songs are good to go. Single BPM, standard rhythm, short enough to practice mapping.