forum

Change song extension guideline to a rule

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
M i X
"The audio file of a song should not be artificially extended in order to meet a time limitation in the beatmapset section of this criteria. This can include (but is not limited to) looping sections of the audio file, lowering the BPM of the song or section of the song, or adding small amounts of music to the song without incorporating it throughout the entire song. This does not apply to song compilations or audio files less than the minimum rankable beatmapset length."

This guideline is already enforced as a rule, therefore it would be more appropriate to change the category to a rule. I can think of several mappers who had to abide by this and make 15 minutes more of content because the song was 1 second shorter than the required beatmap length or was extended in a way that even added to the song in general.

If it really was a guideline (as the rc states) then that wouldn't have happened. Prove me otherwise.
xytoper
i agree
Mononymous
I also agree
Purplegaze
Would people be in support of actually enforcing it as a guideline instead?
Topic Starter
M i X

Purplegaze wrote:

Would people be in support of actually enforcing it as a guideline instead?
It's just misleading as it is right now, if it is enforced then it shouldn't be called a guideline period.

Luckily, the guideline has a mention of incorporating music into the song in a way that adds to it rather than just doing it for the sake of meeting the length requirements, so I don't see why it would pose a problem. In the end nothing would change except the categorization.
Okoratu
It's not a rule because you can extend songs if you don't do it to meet length requirements on the ranking criteria

making it a rule could be misconstrued to mean that all extensions are banned, which they aren't
Vulkin

Okoratu wrote:

It's not a rule because you can extend songs if you don't do it to meet length requirements on the ranking criteria

making it a rule could be misconstrued to mean that all extensions are banned, which they aren't
I mean, it is already mentioned under the Exception at the end.
Personally, I believe the ending should be reworded slightly to make such things clearer before it is moved to the rules section. Something like this:

"This does not apply to Song Compilations that consist of 3 or more songs, Songs whose drain-time is below the minimum rankable beatmapset length, or Songs that lead into the next one without an artificial alteration."

I included the last one because it's one of the few exceptions that people have used, such as "Halozy - Aqua Trytone / Kanshou no Matenrou", "Halozy - K.O.K.O.R.O & S.A.T.O.R.A.R.E".

It would be a bit redundant to include that last point if this other rule also exists but, I believe that being clear enough with what's limited, even if it's by repeating things, is one of the most important things.