forum

Research on perfect Tablet Area Ratio

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Auracle
Wanted to figure out how the fastest most consistent movement on tablet by tweaking the area size ( Precisely the ratio ).

Problem encountered

Using this beatmap I noticed I had more trouble going left and right than up and down.
Not only me, most people I asked that tested were clearly having more trouble EXCEPT Those with area close to 4:3. This is where my journey started.

Fixing the issue

I started testing different tablet area ratios and sizes.
The whole game is 16:9, the gameplay area inside of the whole game is 4:3. If you have a 16:9 tablet area ratio, the "game window" area on your tablet will be 4:3 because osu maps are limited to 4:3 even if the whole game is 16:9. Requiring more movement from left to right than up and down at the furthest distance, this is also why most players spin looks oval and not circle.
I tried a ratio of 1:1 real life - game. Thought it would be the best. But I was wrong. Having a non perfect ratio adds acceleration to your cursor and considering all variables you need some for left and right distances.

The math

I first had to figure out the ratio of pixels between 1920x1080 (16:9) with 1440x1080 (4:3)
If you take the height of 4:3 divided by the height of 16:9 on the same denominator, you get (1080/1440*100) about 75% percent.
That means that to have the inner gameplay area (4:3) to be 1:1 on the tablet area, you would need to have a tablet area of (75% of 16 of the 16:9) which is 12:9, or once simplified 4:3, the same as your monitor game area ironically.
You can confirm this by follow the instructions in this example image.

Proof of work

1. Self-experience, feeling having better aim in 4:3.
  2. WhiteCat uses 4.23:3. Almost exactly 4:3.
  3. Mrekk uses 4.4:3, which is very close too.
Already just those 2 are insanely good player.
Math behind WhiteCat's ratio
I found this that states (In german) the position of his area, we don't have the size. I had to figure it out myself.
The positions are Top 527 Left 2795 Bottom 9324 Right 15199, after extensive research I found that this is lines, basically "position pixels" on the tablet. WhiteCat uses the Wacom CTH480, which is a low rps (refresh rate) tablet, around 133rps.
The tablet LPI (Lines per inch, or what I called "position pixels" earlier) is 2540.
The tablet active area size is 6.0" x 3.7".
From this we get the tablet size in "position pixels". 6*2540 and 3.7*2540 which is 15240 x 9398 lines
If you take the right (15199) position of the tablet minus the left (2795) position you get the area width.
If you take the bottom (9324) position of the tablet minus the top (527) position you get the area height.
WhiteCat's tablet area is now confirmed at 12404 x 8797 LPI.
Checking the ratio, we get 12.69 to 9. Almost the perfect ratio I previously calculated (12:9)
This means two things, my ratio (4:3) is good, very working and currently up to date with the meta.

Conclusion

If your monitor is 16:9 make sure to have a tablet area size of 4:3.
You can easily do this by picking the current height of tablet area you play with, divided by 3 then multiply by 4.
Example: For an area 75mm in heigh, 75/3*4 you get 100mm for the width.
I recommend you keep your height tablet area the same size to not disturb your habits too much, change only the width to fit the 4:3 ratio.

This was completely over-doing, but I took so much time doing all this figured I'd share.
THAT_otaku
"Using this beatmap I noticed I had more trouble going left and right than up and down.
Not only me, most people I asked that tested were clearly having more trouble."

Bruh the distance from L to R across the playfield is larger than U to D so of course it'd be harder.

"making 4:3 very unperfect and not consistent."
"tune your tablet area size 12:9 (or 4:3 simplified)."

:thinking:
Interesting math but this is honestly a bruh from me man
Topic Starter
Auracle

THAT_otaku wrote:

Bruh the distance from L to R across the playfield is larger than U to D so of course it'd be harder.
That's the point of osu tho hitting notes, if left right is harder than up down for most people, why not personally fix it
Even if it's "out of normal" like stretching, the main goal is to improve aim

THAT_otaku wrote:

"making 4:3 very unperfect and not consistent."
"tune your tablet area size 12:9 (or 4:3 simplified)."
I wrongly phrased that, I'll edit
Dirt
I get the thought behind it, but how would that work in terms of driver setup?

Wouldn't setting such an area in a tablet driver just convert your 4:3 area into a 16:9 screen?

Dont you also have to alter your usable screen area?

Example image:
Topic Starter
Auracle

Dirt wrote:

I get the thought behind it, but how would that work in terms of driver setup?
Yes, using OTD you can force a 4:3 aspect ratio, even tho you have to do the math manually as of today.

Dirt wrote:

Wouldn't setting such an area in a tablet driver just convert your 4:3 area into a 16:9 screen?
Not exactly, I did math for a long time, and basically setting your area ratio at 4:3 makes your gameplay area size (which is normally 4:3 drawn on a 16:9 monitor) become 1:1, so no more struggle from left to right.

Dirt wrote:

Dont you also have to alter your usable screen area?
The math is different depending on the ratio of your monitor ratio. 4:3 is the perfect ratio for a 16:9 monitor (In your case for example). On a 21:9 the ratio is different, but I havn't calculated it.
dung eater
as a research paper this is very very very lacking. small sample size, not very clear what you measure other than player "good". no control group. no clear assumption you can measure.

i would ditch how it 'feels' alltogether.

it's highly dependent on the way you hold the pen. this is more about the anatomy and comfortable ranges of motion you can have, which depends on grip.

you do also make a tradeoff with less precision horizontally for more speed, which can be good or bad. maybe it's easier to be precise/stable horizontally on many grips, making the tradeoff good for them.

set tablet to full area.
open paint and hold your pen in the grip you use, color the area where you are comfortable moving pen.
set area inside what you colored and think is fine.
Wido
in (16:9) the inner gameplay area is (4:3) why would you want it to be (1:1)? if your area and your screen are in 16:9. You would play in the perfect ratio in relation to your sight. Those players have changed the ratio because with their grips it would be less comfortable to move sideways, and other players have changed the ratio because for example flyingtuna has a 5760:1080 resolution in osu and playing with an area of 48:9 is hard. I think for those who are comfortable playing in a 16:9 area they have to stick with it because there is nothing better than to accustom your muscle memory to the ratio you see with your eyes, in the other hand if you think that your grip does not allow you to move with such a rectangular ratio then it is good to try other ratios, as he said a ratio of 4:3 gave an inner gameplay of 1:1
Topic Starter
Auracle

Wido wrote:

if your area and your screen are in 16:9. You would play in the perfect ratio in relation to your sight.
The thing is your sight is not what is clicking circles.
And your eyeball range is much more diverse and precise than your hand muscle range.
XXXIV
Thanks to the author of this post! I have been looking for the most suitable area for the game for a long time and using this guide, I finally found it. I really hope that the author has already received the well-deserved Nobel Prize in Mathematics for his contribution to the osu!community. He deserved it.
-Polyrem-
perfect tablet ratio is 69 by 50 i am not capping
-FR
everyone has a different sweetspot for area and ratio
i play a small area with a ratio of 1.5(4.5:3) but for instance the majority of people i personally know play either mosue or forced aspect ratio(or something close to far) and most of them have better aim than i do

as for me i would rather delete my account than play shit like forced aspect ratio with large area or large area by itself
there is no way to find the perfect ratio

at the end of the day it doesnt matter what area you use and nobody cares either even if you'd play some insane ratio like 1.5:3(excluding copycats that hope to magically become *insert top player here* by imitating their playstyle)

i made a spreadsheet like a few weeks ago because i was curious about the combined ratio the tablet areas of top players and i got bored after adding about 31 entries, i still dont believe in copying others because why change something if you already feel good about your playstyle
oblivious6

-Polyrem- wrote:

not sure if you'll see this but I was just looking online to see how other people recommended to find what area works for you and then I read this comment and as a joke said aight I guess 69 by 50 is perfect, I gotta switch to that and then not 20 minutes later I FC a map I've been working on for like a week. So even though I switched to 69 by 50 as a joke I now understand that it is truly the perfect ratio and I want to thank you for opening my eyes to the truth
I AM VERY SMART

oblivious6 wrote:

-Polyrem- wrote:

not sure if you'll see this but I was just looking online to see how other people recommended to find what area works for you and then I read this comment and as a joke said aight I guess 69 by 50 is perfect, I gotta switch to that and then not 20 minutes later I FC a map I've been working on for like a week. So even though I switched to 69 by 50 as a joke I now understand that it is truly the perfect ratio and I want to thank you for opening my eyes to the truth
i feel like the perfect tablet area is entirely subjective
QuinTekno
I just switched from using 50 by 28 to 40 by 30 and immediately felt that this was way better, gonna keep using this area for now but if someone has a good suggestion, feel free to let me know :D