forum

Use too little dash

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
HecaRegina
Hello!

I started playing Platter often since last week.

I realise that most of the time, I tend to travel less than the required distance to reach the next fruit.

Most of this stem from me being conservative about my dash. Like I know I have to use dash to catch that fruit, but I am afraid to use it no matter how far it is. My saving grace is the hyperdash fruit since it guarantees that I have to use dash.

I read the tutorials and guides and they all tell me that I should learn how to learn when NOT to use the dash. Meaning players must have used a lot of dashes in Salad before reaching Platter. So I am the opposite. How can I be ENCOURAGED to use dash?

I'm sure I played more than someone who only reaches salad on average, so telling me just to play more is a bit redundant, though I know I need more plays to use the methods that anyone might tell me.
Nikolai
play more
Topic Starter
HecaRegina

Nikolai wrote:

play more
I hope you joking. Clearly you never read what I wrote about that advice.
mulraf
well, you still are pretty new. so play more definitely is an advice i would give.
other than that i know that platter is a bit of a hard barrier to breach.
i can only tell you what helped me:

1. not playing (too many) converts. but looking at your profile this is already what you do. actually i never play any converts, but many many good players say "play converts" or even the other extreme, they don't play specifics. i think it's a choice of your own, but reading my last words in step 2 will probably explain why i chose to almost exclusively play specifics personally.

2. finding maps where i can see the rhythm. for me it was mostly calm songs like
beatmapsets/381125#fruits/833902
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/477718#fruits/1026087 (my former favorite map)
beatmapsets/435287#fruits/937655
edit: replaying those they do feel a little old. maybe you need to look for current good ones yourself.
because the 'complexity' is a bit lower i felt like i understood when i have to dash. yes, you start to rely on good mapping a bit doing it like this, but i think it's fully okay if you need a well mapped map to play well. the mapping is one of the aspects of catch i really learned to enjoy and it brings me lots of fun personally. others like playing weird maps. to each their own. (i can relate since i like playing weird maps in osu standard for some reason i can't explain).

3. reading. it's important. many platter maps already venture into ar9. when i played them i wasn't ready for that. if you feel the same download many maps and search for "mode=catch status=ranked ar<9" in the searchbar to find good results. if you want maps for learning ar9 i can probably find some as well, but for me it was important to understand the rhythm for that too. so my way of improving in catch is almost always
step 1: understand the rhythm, read it somewhat decently, execute it somewhat decently
step 2: read everything correctly, execute it well
step 3: execute everything correctly
step 4: ???
step 5: profit

4. this is something you should remember for the rest of your catch career: it's not always the missing dash. sometimes you move to little because you move to much.
if you catch a fruit on the center, then you need to put extra effort into getting the next fruit. if you catch the fruit on the edge pointing towards the next fruit, then you can catch the next one far easier. in later stages this is not only a guideline, but something you must do to actually catch something.
but this shouldn't be something you have to worry about at this stage.
Nikolai

HecaRegina wrote:

Nikolai wrote:

play more
I hope you joking. Clearly you never read what I wrote about that advice.
i don't read
Rells
Try to get used to the dash first That's more than advice
Topic Starter
HecaRegina

Rells wrote:

Try to get used to the dash first That's more than advice

mulraf wrote:

well, you still are pretty new. so play more definitely is an advice i would give.
other than that i know that platter is a bit of a hard barrier to breach.
i can only tell you what helped me:

1. not playing (too many) converts. but looking at your profile this is already what you do. actually i never play any converts, but many many good players say "play converts" or even the other extreme, they don't play specifics. i think it's a choice of your own, but reading my last words in step 2 will probably explain why i chose to almost exclusively play specifics personally.

2. finding maps where i can see the rhythm. for me it was mostly calm songs like
beatmapsets/381125#fruits/833902
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/477718#fruits/1026087 (my former favorite map)
beatmapsets/435287#fruits/937655
edit: replaying those they do feel a little old. maybe you need to look for current good ones yourself.
because the 'complexity' is a bit lower i felt like i understood when i have to dash. yes, you start to rely on good mapping a bit doing it like this, but i think it's fully okay if you need a well mapped map to play well. the mapping is one of the aspects of catch i really learned to enjoy and it brings me lots of fun personally. others like playing weird maps. to each their own. (i can relate since i like playing weird maps in osu standard for some reason i can't explain).

3. reading. it's important. many platter maps already venture into ar9. when i played them i wasn't ready for that. if you feel the same download many maps and search for "mode=catch status=ranked ar<9" in the searchbar to find good results. if you want maps for learning ar9 i can probably find some as well, but for me it was important to understand the rhythm for that too. so my way of improving in catch is almost always
step 1: understand the rhythm, read it somewhat decently, execute it somewhat decently
step 2: read everything correctly, execute it well
step 3: execute everything correctly
step 4: ???
step 5: profit

4. this is something you should remember for the rest of your catch career: it's not always the missing dash. sometimes you move to little because you move to much.
if you catch a fruit on the center, then you need to put extra effort into getting the next fruit. if you catch the fruit on the edge pointing towards the next fruit, then you can catch the next one far easier. in later stages this is not only a guideline, but something you must do to actually catch something.
but this shouldn't be something you have to worry about at this stage.
Thank you for replying, both of you.

I'll keep what both of you have said in mind as I try to improve.

I know play more is a must for new players BUT that's simply lazy advice because play more with what?

Converts? What kind of mapping? Any methods I should take note off? That's what I want to look for. So thank you for adding all of these for me.
ramoslala
try to play enough DT on cup diff.
then turn DT off.
it's not about using dash more or less, it's about getting used to your catcher speed when dashing, using DT is a good shortcut. IMO
Chatie

HecaRegina wrote:

I know play more is a must for new players BUT that's simply lazy advice because play more with what?
Most people reply with this answer because that's how we learned how to play. A lot of players don't really think about how they learn certain things while playing, it just naturally happens the more they play.

And there's nothing wrong with asking for more tips, but 7/10 times the people asking for more advise have less than 100/200 hours. At that point, you should just play more. You're still learning the basics at this stage, which usually come naturally with bit of practice.

Catch specific maps focus mainly on basics and should make this easier tho.