[Archived] Cursor trail bug?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Luvdic
Here's how my cursor trail used to behave: http://puu.sh/29DTs
Please, do notice that spot near the cursor that has a more intense blue

Now with the new skin: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/662545
Please do notice that there's no more spots with more intense blue, indicating spots where I have slowed down my mouse

I really liked how the cursor trail used to behave, cause I could see with more precision the way I move my cursor (particularly the velocity)

And it doesn't go back to the way it used to be by changing to my old skin, and you can see that both screen has similar fps so... I'm not quite sure what's the problem
theowest
This is really weird, many of us used to have it like your second screenshot there and now experience the full effect of the cursor trail. I'm quite curious to what might have caused it.
Full Tablet
Something I posted in the Test Build Forums before it was implemented:

The new drawing method seems to draw a cursor trail sprite every certain amount of distance moved, instead of periodically drawing it below the cursor is. Also the new method never seems to draw below the cursor.

When the new method is implemented, will be there a way to use the old drawing method? (or another one that also draws every certain amount of time)
The new ones have a different appearance.
Comparison Images
Moving the Cursor Slowly

Moving the Cursor fastly (Straight Line)

Moving the Cursor though a curve with varying speeds

Spinning

I personally prefer the "heatmap" cursor trail look (it looks denser in parts where the cursor has been more).

As a suggestion, maybe add an optional drawing method in the skin.ini file that draws a defined amount (default 60, customizable) of times per second? (interpolating the position of each cursor trail sprite when having to draw more than 1 sprite per frame/input device poll, between the previous cursor position and and the current one). That way all the current custom skins would look like they looked before, and the problem of varying looks based on fps would be solved.
Topic Starter
Luvdic
Now it doesn't even show my cursor trail: http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/665750

I miss it :(
Gonzvlo

ErufenRito wrote:

Now it doesn't even show my cursor trail: http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/665750

I miss it :(
Same here. In order to fix this, I gotta go to the Skin selection, select osu! default and then my custom skin again.

I'm not sure how to replicate the bug, though.
Topic Starter
Luvdic
It didn't work for me, notice how I'm already using default skin...
peppy
The old behaviour has alredy been restored for cursors which do not have cursormiddle present. The new behaviour is a permanent change where cursormiddle is present.
karma_komodo
however, with time, the cursor trail simply disappears. In my case (using a custom skin) i just could not make it return without closing osu! and i don't know how to replicate it, but it happened me twice in less than 30 minutes... should i make a different thread?
peppy
If this is happening, please try to pinpoint when it happens / what you are doing in order to make it happen.
karma_komodo
After some testing i discovered it happened sometimes when you click the ¨online users¨ button. I still don't know what exactly I have to do, as it does not happen always... maybe click it while moving the cursor at a certain speed? or start moving it exactly when it transforms from mouse to cursor? I simply click that button various times moving my cursor in different directions and shapes.

I am using a custom skin made from the new´s skin template, and use the same cursor, but the cursor trail is colorized red (I love red, I am wearing a red t-shirt right now). Also i discovered that to make it appear again you can do 2 things:
-reset osu
-go to skin selection and select any old skin (without cursormiddle) and then switch back to your skin.

EDIT: it also happens with the default skin, took me less than 15 seconds to replicate it.
MillhioreF
Caught it on video:

Click on "Online Users" and move your mouse steadily as it opens. When you click it again to close it, there's something like a 5% chance the trail disappears.
theowest
Confirming what MillhioreF did. (I think this might deserve its own topic)

You can just spam click F9 even, which will make it easier to replicate this. The only way to get the cursor trail back is to reload/load the/another skin.
TheAussie

this what you mean?
theowest

Takeda Shingen wrote:

this what you mean?
this topic is ErufenRito's problem, which isn't what your and millhioref video is about. ArmandoR's bug is this topic: t/124409