forum

[added] Mirror mod in osu!mania

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +455
Topic Starter
chaotic_iak
Pretty obvious. This flips the columns so left becomes right and vice versa.

Pro:
- Mostly in 5/7K. Left-handed players (those that usually press middle column by left hand) can play maps designed for right-handed players (those where left 2/3 columns are for something and right 3/4 columns are for another thing). Flipping it makes the left 3/4 columns be for something, which suits the division of hands (left controlling more).
- Similar to above; difficult patterns by the worse hand (occur a lot in translated diffs from osu!std) can be moved to the better hand.

Con:
- Pro point 2. Might make diff easier.

I prefer 1.00x benefit if implemented though.

Any further idea?

P.S. I also tried searching but none came up besides one I've already commented in, which actually talks about several mods (including Add Notes and Mines besides Mirror) and is now invalidated. I try to bring this particular idea out with my argument. I think I'm not good at finding correct keywords to use :P If anyone finds an earlier thread of this idea, feel free to mark this as duplicate.
MillhioreF
It's a valid request, but... does it really even matter on the majority of maps? Autoconverts sound like they wouldn't be affected by this whatsoever, and mania-specific maps are still a rarity.
woc2006
We already have a random mod on the way.
Topic Starter
chaotic_iak
Well, I sometimes see autoconverts with a rain on only one hand. The worse hand specifically, so mirror can help to move it to the right.
...which can also be used as an argument against Mirror mod. Whatever. The main point is making some specific-handed maps more playable by opposite-handed players.

Also, wasn't there some argument about Random mod probably being particularly nice in some play (due to lucky random number(s) generated)? Although I want to know more about it before I comment.
VoidnOwO
:oops:
andromeda2020
I hope the random mod will be implemented soon!
Yeah mirror mod sounds good also.
Oinari-sama
Post in this topic if you want to have Left/Right mirror for mania.

A similar topic was nuked recently due to misbehaviour and let remind everybody: you are posting in the Feature Request forum to have things happen. Please focus on how to make a feature work well in osu! and leave the feasibility study to devs/support team.

Do us a favour, don't post unless you have something constructive to add.
PyaKura
As I said in the nuked thread I would like to see it implemented, and I wouldn't mind if it were to be ranked mostly because a lot of the current maps (both ranked and unranked) are designed for right-handed players, mostly heavy patterns/bursts, jacks, the use of the middle key fitting in well for right-handed patterns and awkward the other way around, making it somewhat unfair for left-handed players.

That and although we can already do it ourselves it's pretty time consuming so having this as a mod would be pretty handy, just like what we have with RD right now.
Bara-
As I also said in the nuked thread
Perhaps this'll work better if it's used as a mode in options (similar to the DD-style type of options)
I think it'll work well there (not as a mod, it'll be too cluttered)
PyaKura
It could be one of these "reverse/flip" icons on the RD mod similar to how HD and FI work atm, this way it won't take any more space on the mod select screen.
Score_Under
This could work in all game modes (to a varying extent)
Wind_14

PyaKura wrote:

It could be one of these "reverse/flip" icons on the RD mod similar to how HD and FI work atm, this way it won't take any more space on the mod select screen.
then, perhaps the mods will be unranked....
Evening

Wind_14 wrote:

PyaKura wrote:

then, perhaps the mods will be unranked....
idk how is that related to pya's statement but please make mirror mod happen, it's kinda restricting mapping ranked maps to a certain extent due to it not favoring thumb biased mapping ( or whatever finger you use for the middle key )

>inb4 how about stop mapping thumb biased ya prick
-Maus-
^But what will mirror change if the thumb key will remain the same? :F
Evening

Transformau5 wrote:

Funny
PyaKura

Transformau5 wrote:

imagine a heavy pattern focused on 4 columns (including the middle one) on either side of the playfield (let's say right side), the strain will be higher on that side of the field, meaning that sometimes right-handed players (or players using their right thumb) will have an harder time hitting the keys (since more columns on one hand), however left handed players will only need to use 3 columns on one hand because the thumb will be used by their other hand so it could mean less strain. This example is totally arbitrary as it could be the other way around (and it depends on the pattern and such) but you get the point. The purpose of the mirror mod would be to swap that strain to the other side to make the patterns easier to play.
-Maus-
Even though I find playing with the right thumb weird, I get it
Evening
Soo is this happening?
Do the devs need more rigid/solid or a more convincing reason to have mirror mod? I'm curious on the progress ( if any ) on this
XeoStyle
Hello guys !

I'm a mania player and like 10% of peoples on earth, i'm lefty.
1 month ago or something like this, I was talking a little bit with Fullerene- about the 4k difficulty of this map.
As you can see at 03:34:866, there is a big trill design for right player who fucking kill my accu because i'm not an "ET player".
Fullerene- and I tried to modify all the map with "CTRL + H" (Fully reversed map) and play it : As you would expect, I do a better accu and conversely, he did a poorer accu (yup, the map is modified so I didn't get my precious PP >:( )

My question is why there is still no mirror mod (who don't unrank scores btw) for peoples like me ? They are a lot of maps with advantages for right handed peoples (I can give you examples if you really want). I mean, it's not like random who can give you better patterns, the chart is just flipped.

Common guys, support-us in order to make better o!m mod for everyone !
Redon
show more