forum

RC Rule Amendment: Beatmaps of explicit audio tracks need to have "Explicit Content" setting enabled

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Niva
sooooooooooo yeah, in regards to the recently implemented explicit content filter i think it's only natural for this rule to be amended in the RC soon enough i guess -- presumably under General --> Rules :

Beatmaps of explicit audio tracks must be marked as Explicit in the website.
(idk i can't think of a more proper wording atm but yeah you should get the idea ;~;)
Nao Tomori
I think the tag is mostly specific to songs, not all assets in a mapset, so the rule should specify songs to avoid creating a misunderstanding that as long as it has nsfw tag any type of bg/sb/skin can be used.
Topic Starter
Niva

Nao Tomori wrote:

I think the tag is mostly specific to songs, not all assets in a mapset, so the rule should specify songs to avoid creating a misunderstanding that as long as it has nsfw tag any type of bg/sb/skin can be used.
ya i kinda misunderstood the news back then due to how sudden the change is mb, i thought this was applicable to all assets in the map at first but after having been socialized about the rule a bit more i figured out that this is only applicable to the songs

((edited the first post to make things more indicative of the change))
clayton

Nao Tomori wrote:

I don't see why it shouldn't label other explicit content as well. this checkbox doesn't change what is and isn't allowed on the website, it was added to solve dramas like beatmapsets/418412 where map is retroactively deemed not following osu!'s rules but wiping old scores sux
[[[[[[
+1 so that we can rank songs with swearing again
McEndu
I think it is OK to pull request now?
[[[[[[
actuall here's a little contribution

The rule's current wording sounds like anything could be uploaded with the explicit marker, so i think it should be change from

>Beatmaps of explicit audio tracks must be marked as Explicit in the website.

to

>Beatmaps of songs with explicit lyric that doesn't broke osu!'s Song content rules must be marked as Explicit in the website.
McEndu
I think that Metadata -> Rules -> Technical might be a better place for this line than General, as I consider that a song being explicit a piece of metadata.

I've done setting up a branch for PR.
[[[[[[
I think we should pull a request now
McEndu

Ephemeral wrote:

Explicit content refers primarily to the **audio content of a beatmap**,
mostly in theme, subject matter or *heavy* use of explicit language.
The scope is formally defined in a proposal, The following change I suggest:

- **Beatmaps of [explicit content](/wiki/Rules/Explicit_Content) must be marked as such on the website.** This is done by checking the `Explicit content` checkbox.

Let's best wait for that.
SilentWuffer
While it's not directly related, I think it would be good to clarify whether or not it is allowed for obscene imagery, and what would happen to the current rule in the rc if it does.
Dialect
^^

i'd assume maybe? although probably not because there's legit going to be no background preview image..

although, question would be, what not kid friendly words would cause the explicit filter. to some extent, you can consider "hell" and "damn" bad words

also olivia rodrigo songs are marked as explicit on streaming services despite the fact she only says 1 not kid friendly word soo rlly depends on artist yk
Greaper
Don't think an extra rule for explicit songs is needed. They should be marked and if any of them are forgotten they can always be added later on. The same can be said for the beatmap genre and language on the site which aren't mentioned in any rule that they should be set.

Will leave this open for ~1 month if no further discussion comes up. Afterwards it will be archived as this hasn't been discussed for quite a long time.