forum

Single tap or Alternating?

posted
Total Posts
show more
lv100togepi
[haha thanks for the edit]
Your tips helped me already! I was literally surprised at the accuracy increase when I was alternating
gyorin

enik wrote:

Warning: constant alternating increases your singletap speed (therefore streaming speed as well) much slower than taping with one finger would.
Streaming involves two fingers, though. If only one of them can hit quickly, you're not going to be able to stream very well at all.

I actually noticed myself getting better at alternating as I got better at streaming lower BPMs.
Loves
Or you could kust use SilviA's method, always alt on everything.
enik

Knickerus wrote:

enik wrote:

Warning: constant alternating increases your singletap speed (therefore streaming speed as well) much slower than taping with one finger would.
Streaming involves two fingers, though. If only one of them can hit quickly, you're not going to be able to stream very well at all.

I actually noticed myself getting better at alternating as I got better at streaming lower BPMs.
I think alternating just makes you too lazy for streams because you have to speed up x2 times both fingers. So you actually increase max fingers speed only on those streams but not regular 1/2 (as it would be in a case of singletapping), except if those 1/2 are very high bpm. And I'm pretty sure hitting quickly with one finger means you can hit almost as quickly with the other one since singletaping (not vibrating) 1/2 means you're able to stream 1/4 same bpm.
gyorin

enik wrote:

And I'm pretty sure hitting quickly with one finger means you can hit almost as quickly with the other one since singletaping (not vibrating) 1/2 means you're able to stream 1/4 same bpm.
Does that mean that you single tap using your whole hand/arm?

I usually keep my hand relatively stationary when playing. I may just be doing it wrong, though.
buny
you move differently to single tap as opposed to alternating

your 1/4 stream speed is no way equal to your 1/2 single tap speed, or even close
enik
At least it's fair for me (i suck at singletap tho) and cookiezi (he said big money 1/2 is around his limits, but he can stream some 180+ bpm insanes dt).
theowest
this were discussed in this topic too. t/118324

who thinks I should merge.
buny
those 1/2s are for a longer period of time though, the 180 bpm dt insanes he does only contains burst of streams that a lot of people can do

also merge would be good since they're basically the same topic
theowest
done~
Rokk
I single tap usually, but I obviously alternate for streams.
Jordan
I alternate on everything and I have no problem streaming high BPM, learn to alternate everything and you'll never get tired on 300+ bpm 1/2.
Senryakku
i alternate all the time, but sometimes i use singletap if i see that alternating gives me bad accuracy.
VoidnOwO
I single tap everything, unless I really like a song that is too fast to single tap.
-----------

Single tapping does not increase your alternating speed
Alternating does not increase your single tapping speed

You single tap with either your wrist, or even better, your arm.
You alternate with your fingers

Otherwise you're doing it wrong in a way where you never get really good at it.

Jordan wrote:

I alternate on everything and I have no problem streaming high BPM, learn to alternate everything and you'll never get tired on 300+ bpm 1/2.
True, unless you're really going to dedicate to single tapping, you should alternate "everything". I can single tap 300bpm 1/2's, but it gets tiring after 15 minutes, even after playing similar games for years. Alternating is always better.
Kanye West
What's wrong with single tapping with your finger? I don't think you can say that some way that you/the majority of players don't use is the wrong way to do something.

Unless you're actually trolling, in which case you can ignore everything I just said.
VoidnOwO

Kanye West wrote:

What's wrong with single tapping with your finger? I don't think you can say that some way that you/the majority of players don't use is the wrong way to do something.

Unless you're actually trolling, in which case you can ignore everything I just said.
Corrected to what I originally meant.
Kanye West
So now you're saying it's impossible to get good at finger singletapping

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~makes~perfect~sense~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VoidnOwO
You can be good even if you single tap with a finger, but you'll never compare against people who practice as much as you, but use better methods. Honestly, do you think track pad players can ever be better than tablet players?

Kanye West wrote:

MMzz

BRBP wrote:

Honestly, do you think track pad players can ever be better than tablet players?
Sure!
When trackpads catch up to tablets in quality. (Just wait a few years)

EDIT: To stay on topic.

I alternate, but sometimes tap twice on one finger. (Maybe my hand is dumb.) It's comfortable for me and after years of plays guitar/bass/rhythm games my fingers are already pretty durable. I can stream at about 210-220 when warmed up, a little bit faster when the streams are only in short burst. Idk if that is even a good speed for osu! play but w/e.
Almost

BRBP wrote:

You can be good even if you single tap with a finger, but you'll never compare against people who practice as much as you, but use better methods.
If you can't learn to single tap fast with your finger quickly doesn't mean it goes the same for everybody. I find single tapping with the arm and wrist very tiring and I can actually single tap faster using my finger rather than my arm/wrist.
gyorin

enquire wrote:

I find single tapping with the arm and wrist very tiring and I can actually single tap faster using my finger rather than my arm/wrist.
Nope.

BRBP says you can't do that. You're obviously just getting your second wind when you switch over.
VoidnOwO
There's something wrong with your quote, knick...

Enquire, you can of course single tap faster with your finger, but that's just lack of practice. Doesn't really matter if you aren't ever going to even try to single tap something like mendes, but after that "finger players" are out of discussion.

enquire wrote:

If you can't learn to single tap fast with your finger quickly
You replied "150 (very inaccurately)" to my thread about how fast you can single tap...
silmarilen
why would you want to singletap mendes anyway?
VoidnOwO

silmarilen wrote:

singletapmasterrace
buny

silmarilen wrote:

it always feels better alternating 1/4
Defacer
­
Almost

BRBP wrote:

There's something wrong with your quote, knick...

Enquire, you can of course single tap faster with your finger, but that's just lack of practice. Doesn't really matter if you aren't ever going to even try to single tap something like mendes, but after that "finger players" are out of discussion.

enquire wrote:

If you can't learn to single tap fast with your finger quickly
You replied "150 (very inaccurately)" to my thread about how fast you can single tap...
I did say I can single tap 150 inaccurately, but what is really the point in practicing to single tap streams that fast? You are merely wasting time practicing something that is easier done alternating.
Miracle Lotus
I prefer singletapping over alternating.
uninvted

Aqo wrote:

What
you got it all wrong

alternating = jumps is easier
alternating = you gonna suck at streams forever

don't alternate. jumps take no skill anyway. if you ever want to get anywhere in this game you have to only singletap all the time.

help, im really confuse right now, i dont really know what im gonna use, singletap or alternate ?... i started with the alternate with arm/wrist everything, because i think thats the best accurate for me but when i watch some replays, they use singletap and somtimes alternate when 1/3.... and i want to improve more, and i dont understand what jumps or streams your talking about.... xD.. sorry for my poor english -_-
Kanye West
Use whatever you're most comfortable with and don't listen to Aqo.

Honestly that's the answer to 75% of the questions on here.
uninvted
i see, i just gonna stick with my method, thanks men..
[-Tsumugi-]
Im alting but now im trying single tap after reading this thread.. hope it helps me improve ! :)
CookChefSteak
i freestyle, switching between both while playing. although i am a lot better at singletapping.

i find that a hybrid method of freestyling them both works best
Toukai
I'm not sure which category im at yet...

I've tried singletapping instead of alting but in the end it became a mix or both and the problem with that is while im playing...
I cant decide to alt or singletap and screw up LOL
but then after a while maybe i'll get used to it..

I alt when its just a few sliders and notes
then singletap when the fast stuff comes out

but im not really sure which one to go for lolol
JerseyJackal
I singletap 90% of the time, and alternate during streams, triples, fast series of sliders, and general cf's which I can't even honestly play (see Scarlet Rose for the first 10 seconds).
usa

mouse/kb users obligatory alt everything
NinjaNick
Alternating seems so much easier to me, I feel it can be a little less accurate at times but if you just practice you can get over that obstacle.
CJHSparta
I find alternating slightly more challenging to keep on beat, but it has more potential in streaming harder maps. I am very used to alternating and doing it for all my plays. It all comes down to each person's opinion.
-Soba-
alternating > single tapping
Soarezi
singletapping increases your stamina
show more